Upon Further Review...

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I am getting distinct pleasure out of ripping apart uneducated, biased commenters on gmuhoops. It's hysterical how blind some people are to the basic fundamentals of the game of basketball.

(Not referring to Kish, and Kaufman I respect your opinion and in no way shape or form am I referring to you with this post)

Patriotfan49

Starter
I am getting distinct pleasure out of ripping apart uneducated, biased commenters on gmuhoops. It's hysterical how blind some people are to the basic fundamentals of the game of basketball.

(Not referring to Kish, and Kaufman I respect your opinion and in no way shape or form am I referring to you with this post)

If that is what you do for fun, maybe you should get out more. That is like talking crap to a 4 year old as you destroy him in one on one on a 7 foot hoop. lol

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If that is what you do for fun, maybe you should get out more. That is like talking crap to a 4 year old as you destroy him in one on one on a 7 foot hoop. lol

When I'm railing out whiskey sours and girls making questionable decisions tonight at Mohegan Sun we'll see who needs to get out more haha.

And playing basketball on a 7 foot hoop is fun. Only time I can ever dunk.

Patriotfan49

Starter
49, I was talking to a buddy about this the other day and it dawned on me that we still haven't had a team in Hewitt's three years that fits what he needs to have big-time success.

In his first season, we had self-motivated guys (Pearson, Morrison) to lead the team and cover for Hewitt's lack of fire. But because of Luke's transfer, we lacked a PG to make sense of what he wanted to do from an X's and O's perspective.

Last season, we didn't really have either -- and it showed as we limped to a fifth-place finish in a horrible CAA and didn't get anything going until a meaningless pay-for-play tournament.

Now we seem to have a possible PG of the future in Moore, but this team is so devoid of senior leadership, it's crazy.

With Hewitt's laid-back attitude, we can't afford to have a senior class that also tends to put it on cruise control mentally from time to time. I think it's the biggest reason we're so inconsistent -- there's simply not enough talent on the roster to overcome the reality that our leaders aren't always locked in.

Hopefully as Hewitt turns over the roster, he fills it with guys who don't require external motivation to play hard. They're certainly not getting it from the coach.

It really is a case of a horrible puzzle, we have pieces to about 3 puzzles and none of them fit together. We are sorely missing the pieces that can help make Hewitts system look passable, and the pieces we do have are seriously not the right ones to be able to motivate themselves to succeed.

What we have here, is a permanent substitute teacher, and a bunch of cool guys in the back of the classroom that think its a free day to do whatever they feel like. May God have mercy on our souls.

Patriotfan49

Starter
When I'm railing out whiskey sours and girls making questionable decisions tonight at Mohegan Sun we'll see who needs to get out more haha.

And playing basketball on a 7 foot hoop is fun. Only time I can ever dunk.

3f0b0088a9f6b4ef4de84b03afaf59d6e4.png

Hope you left your face paint and yellow wig at home, I dont think girls over the age of 6 like that kinda thing lol.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Hey don't knock it, 49.

I used to enjoy 1-on-1 games with my son when he was smaller because I knew I could let him score and still do what I had to do to win.

Now he's a 6-3, 230-pound 16-year-old who enjoys dunking on my head ... and the memories of those bygone days are all I have to soothe my wounded ego (and broken-down knees). :D

Patriotfan49

Starter
Hey don't knock it, 49.

I used to enjoy 1-on-1 games with my son when he was smaller because I knew I could let him score and still do what I had to do to win.

Now he's a 6-3, 230-pound 16-year-old who enjoys dunking on my head ... and the memories of those bygone days are all I have to soothe my wounded ego (and broken-down knees). :D

Hey who doesnt like teaching younger kids those "life lessons" ?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It really is a case of a horrible puzzle, we have pieces to about 3 puzzles and none of them fit together.

This really is the best analysis yet of our current problems.

Bottom line, we have too many one-way players. I don't envy Hewitt trying to mix and match the guys who are good offensively with our few really strong defensive players.

MasonCrew

Starter
Honestly, I think our leader next year will be a current sophomore (Holloway) -- both because he's the right man for the job and because none of our rising seniors are leadership material.

Even playing on a stacked team at PVI, Holloway was an incredible leader and set the tone for his senior-year team to win both the WCAC and state titles. He made a bunch of clutch shots and gave everyone on that team the sense that no matter what he had to do, he simply wouldn't let them lose.

Look at what UMass is doing this year with Chaz Williams. The comparison isn't perfect b/c Patrick isn't a PG, but it's amazing what one highly motivated kid can do to lift the spirits and performance of his teammates.

I think PH and Jenkins will be the eventual leaders of this team. Jenkins just plays with such passion.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Hey who doesnt like teaching younger kids those "life lessons" ?

The way my knucklehead teenager treats me on a basketball court, you'd have thought I was Good Will Hunting's dad. o_O

My wife says the next time he tries to dunk on me I should put him through the garage door just to teach him a lesson, but I can't bring myself to do it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think PH and Jenkins will be the eventual leaders of this team. Jenkins just plays with such passion.

I agree. If he stays on his current trajectory and doesn't pull a Luke, he'll be mentioned as one of our all-timers by the time he's gone.

Patriotfan49

Starter
The way my knucklehead teenager treats me on a basketball court, you'd have thought I was Good Will Hunting's dad. o_O

My wife says the next time he tries to dunk on me I should put him through the garage door just to teach him a lesson, but I can't bring myself to do it.

After you do so, just give him the Copes 1000 yard stare after he gets called for a foul. 99% of the time, it works......never. At least Rasheed Wallace was funny about never fouling, Copes just looks dumb.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
After you do so, just give him the Copes 1000 yard stare after he gets called for a foul. 99% of the time, it works......never. At least Rasheed Wallace was funny about never fouling, Copes just looks dumb.

I should get a picture of him making one of those faces and use it as my icon. That would be epic. Kid always looks like hes never done anything wrong.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Jim if you teach your boy anything, make sure you teach him the concept of touch. You dont want him taking after a guy like Copes who leaves this mess after he attempts a 5 foot hook shot:
zollobackboard2.jpg
I'm amazed this hasn't happened to us in a real game yet.

Sits w/ the band

Four-star Recruit
I'm not ready to give up on Copes yet. How long did it take Arledge to become an impact player? Next Thursday, Mason plays Penn from Philly's Big 5. If Erik isn't ready for this game, then I will be concerned.
Don't get your hopes up...... Dopes is garbage. Arledge always had a better upside even when his ballgina was dripping all over the court.

Harry

Starter
Honestly, I think our leader next year will be a current sophomore (Holloway) -- both because he's the right man for the job and because none of our rising seniors are leadership material.

Even playing on a stacked team at PVI, Holloway was an incredible leader and set the tone for his senior-year team to win both the WCAC and state titles. He made a bunch of clutch shots and gave everyone on that team the sense that no matter what he had to do, he simply wouldn't let them lose.

Holloway showed his leadership in Hawaii by almost single-highhandedly willing us to a win against St. Mary's. He played with passion and fire, as did BA, and even Johnny. Maybe it will rub off on Sherrod...

If we have three scoring guards, a big forward who can handle the ball and shoot (Marko), and a power forward with a low post game who can also step back and hit short jumpers, then we have a decent starting five.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Holloway showed his leadership in Hawaii by almost single-highhandedly willing us to a win against St. Mary's. He played with passion and fire, as did BA, and even Johnny. Maybe it will rub off on Sherrod...

If we have three scoring guards, a big forward who can handle the ball and shoot (Marko), and a power forward with a low post game who can also step back and hit short jumpers, then we have a decent starting five.

We need one low post player to show up every game. With Marko and Jenkins both good passers we should be able to play a good high low game provided whoever is on the low block can score.

I'd love for Sherrod to find his midrange game because right now the opposition is just packing the paint and there is ample room between 15 feet and 8 feet to do some damage if someone can just hit that shot consistently. Pull those forwards out of the paint and things will get a lot easier for our forwards.

Bricker

Starter
We need one low post player to show up every game. With Marko and Jenkins both good passers we should be able to play a good high low game provided whoever is on the low block can score.

I'd love for Sherrod to find his midrange game because right now the opposition is just packing the paint and there is ample room between 15 feet and 8 feet to do some damage if someone can just hit that shot consistently. Pull those forwards out of the paint and things will get a lot easier for our forwards.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like we've been missing a good midrange shooter for a few years now. We get our points in the paint or from 3-- but that's about it. Defenses rarely have to worry about one of our guys pulling up and hitting on a drive to the hoop.