Sue Collins

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.gomason.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210299600&DB_OEM_ID=25200:

"Fairfax, Va—George Mason Senior Associate Athletic Director Sue Collins has announced she will retire after 34 years with the Patriots and more than 40 years in NCAA Division I athletics.

'It is especially hard for me to leave Mason now when there are so many positive things happening under our new leadership with Athletic Director Brad Edwards,' said Collins. 'I really appreciate his dynamic leadership qualities and how he has valued the experience of the staff he inherited. In only one year he has taken tremendous strides towards the success of our programs, including securing the EagleBank Arena naming rights, an apparel deal with adidas and he has hired four new head coaches all of whom show great promise.'

'It's the end of an era at Mason,' said Director of Athletics Brad Edwards. 'Sue Collins has helped guide Mason athletics through substantial growth for more than three decades, most notably as the guiding force in laying the foundation for our outstanding academic achievements. More importantly she has invested in the lives of the student-athletes and she will be missed around the department.'

The Patriots have earned many accolades under Collins’ guidance, including the 2008 Diversity in Athletics Award in the category of African-American Graduation: Male Student-Athletes. Mason was one of the nation's first 15 schools to complete the NCAA certification process and perennially ranks among the nation's best in the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act survey.

In addition to her duties, Collins became the first Senior Women’s Administrator (SWA) when the NCAA designated the position in 1981. She was a part of the growth of athletics at Mason as the university added six sports programs, five women’s and one men’s, since she started, including women’s soccer in 1982, which claimed Mason’s first NCAA Championship in 1985. The Patriots would earn an NCAA Championship in 1996 with men’s indoor track and field and a memorable trip to the 2006 NCAA Final Four with men’s basketball."

Last edited: