Softball advances to NCAA TOURNAMENT!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A thought on the bracket that probably doesn't really matter- NC Central looks to have the worst record at 19-33 (and presumably the worst RPI/NET/whatever softball uses) and yet is going to play #14 Georgia. As the #64 team in the field, shouldn't they play at #1 OU?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A thought on the bracket that probably doesn't really matter- NC Central looks to have the worst record at 19-33 (and presumably the worst RPI/NET/whatever softball uses) and yet is going to play #14 Georgia. As the #64 team in the field, shouldn't they play at #1 OU?

I’m guessing the early rounds are regional pods? To save on travel costs.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
On a tangent related to this, I was talking to a friend very recently that coaches teen softball and I asked if there are any pitch count restrictions like there are in baseball.
Did you ask him any other softball questions, or was that the only one?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
On a tangent related to this, I was talking to a friend very recently that coaches teen softball and I asked if there are any pitch count restrictions like there are in baseball. He indicated there are no restrictions. The under hand motion does not have the same issues that over hand throwing does with stress on the elbow joint. It is common for pitchers to pitch multiple games in a row in softball. I am sure her arm is still tired, though.
There’s almost no torque on the elbow ligaments in an underhand throwing motion and significantly less on the labrum/rotator cuff. I’ve seen girls throw 3 games a day for 3-4 days in a row at large travel tournaments and be no worse for wear beyond normal fatigue. It’s kind of crazy.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I’m guessing the early rounds are regional pods? To save on travel costs.
Yes, baseball and softball play regional pods at a host school, double elimination. winners of each pod advance to the Super Regionals also played a host school; best 2 out of 3.

I'm sure travel costs are the issue, but then it would've made more sense to send NC Central to Duke as the 4 seed instead of us.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lol it's kind of crazy that the national tournament in a lot of sports is a money-loser for participating schools.

Masonfan3

Starter
Yes, baseball and softball play regional pods at a host school, double elimination. winners of each pod advance to the Super Regionals also played a host school; best 2 out of 3.

I'm sure travel costs are the issue, but then it would've made more sense to send NC Central to Duke as the 4 seed instead of us.
While this is correct, it is not unusual for teams to have to travel. Hell, Liberty is going out West to Play in LA against UCLA, SDSU, and Grand Canyon.

Apparently the softball team's bus broke down on the way back from the A10 Championship and had to sleep in the lobby of a hotel. Talk about an experience!