Sodexo taking over Patriot Center concessions

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sodexo is replacing Ovations as the concessions manager at the Patriot Center.

Highlighted by blending technology with improved menu offerings, the Gaithersburg, Md.-based Sodexo aims to provide a new, enhanced fan experience at the Patriot Center with LED menu displays and global food offerings.

Focusing on the fan experience at the Patriot Center, Sodexo will provide new LED menu displays, high-speed credit card acceptance at all individual service points, specialty carts with “upside-down” beer taps, global food offerings and new graphics for all permanent concession stands.

http://www.universitybusiness.com/news/sodexo-partners-patriot-center-concession-services

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why don't they serve alcohol at games?

A lot of schools don't serve alcohol at campus arenas during games. It's supposedly to curb excessive and underaged drinking. But what college freshman/sophomore a, is going to be able to buy a beer at a place that will card you a B pay 6 or 7 for one beer.

And the mountain of empty beer cans and bottles in the halls of the dorms my freshman year says good luck on stopping under aged and excessive drinking on college campus is.

It's just a lost revenue stream as far as I'm concerned.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Why don't they serve alcohol at games?

The NCAA generally does not allow College athletics and facilities on campus to sell alcohol at games. You can "give" it away as long as it is in suites, lounges, and doner areas. This is why you can drink at halftime in the Green room. The alcohol has been "donated" and can be given out.
When the event is held in a publicly owned arena/stadium, then the chances of the alcohol flowing increases. That stadium/arena controls the alcohol policy and not the NCAA. But of course, local ordinances such as whether or not the county that the event is held is dry or wet, plays in to it as well.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The NCAA generally does not allow College athletics and facilities on campus to sell alcohol at games. You can "give" it away as long as it is in suites, lounges, and doner areas. This is why you can drink at halftime in the Green room. The alcohol has been "donated" and can be given out.
When the event is held in a publicly owned arena/stadium, then the chances of the alcohol flowing increases. That stadium/arena controls the alcohol policy and not the NCAA. But of course, local ordinances such as whether or not the county that the event is held is dry or wet, plays in to it as well.

I believe that the NCAA only prohibits the sale of alcohol at NCAA tournaments/championships.

Harry

Starter
One of the few good things about the Richmond Mausoleum was that they sold beer before and during games. It was especially nice when they began selling outside, at least when the weather was good. But that building is not owned by a college.

JBiggs

Starter
Yeah, I get alcohol at University of Denver games. It's the only college sport I can recall it being available. They have beers and hard liquors.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Alcohol is not allowed to be SOLD at ON CAMPUS NCAA sporting events. The NCAA extends this rule to NCAA run events (like the NCAA tournament). U of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium - full liquor/beer available. Their on campus baseball stadium - gotta bring your own kahlua to spike the milk shakes.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Another example - CAA tourney at Richmond Coliseum - not on campus, run by conference and not the NCAA, so alcohol is sold.

JBiggs

Starter
Alcohol is not allowed to be SOLD at ON CAMPUS NCAA sporting events. The NCAA extends this rule to NCAA run events (like the NCAA tournament). U of Miami plays at Sun Life Stadium - full liquor/beer available. Their on campus baseball stadium - gotta bring your own kahlua to spike the milk shakes.
Denver's arena is on campus, and they're a member of the NCAA, so what you're saying is obviously not true. It seems to be something the school itself decides.

Although the National Collegiate Athletic Association bans alcohol sales and signage at the championship events it controls, it doesn't regulate school activities during the regular season. The nation's various athletic conferences also generally pursue a hands-off policy, though some do limit or ban alcohol sales at conference-sponsored tournaments and championship games.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB125271416817105157

Yossarian

Sixth Man
Good discussion. I have long been confused by the rules on alcohol sales at games. Everything made sense to me until I got to Richmond for the first time and was able to fuel up. Thanks for the insight.