Shevon Thompson

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I no next to nothing about NBA scouting. Serious question.

Will Shevon hit the scouting radar with his size, numbers and seemingly coming out of nowhere?

His size and upside will definitely get him some looks, but I can't help but think of the late Yinka Dare when I watch him play. Dare was 7-1 and 265 pounds and was pretty dominant when he played at GW, but he never became a great pro after being drafted by the NJ Nets and lasting only four years in the league.

One similarity I hope Shevon shakes is his lack of assists. According to his career NBA stats, Dare had only four assists while turning the ball over 96 times. Ouch!

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_d5989641-7794-5f09-8f51-7b06f8f53739.html

so he only chose Mason because Hewitt is also Jamaican? Well alright then.

I seriously doubt it was the only reason, but every kid looks for a connection with their school and coach. Coach L was great at playing up his NY roots to land kids like Sherrod, Paris, Gray, Edwards and Pearson, and now I'm sure he's playing up his Cuban roots to get players. Whatever it takes, right?

wijg

Starter
I seriously doubt it was the only reason, but every kid looks for a connection with their school and coach. Coach L was great at playing up his NY roots to land kids like Sherrod, Paris, Gray, Edwards and Pearson, and now I'm sure he's playing up his Cuban roots to get players. Whatever it takes, right?
Tractors is where its at, I tell you, tractors...

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tractors is where its at, I tell you, tractors...

It's hilarious you say that, because I was just looking for the Blue Chips clip of Nick Nolte going to the black church to curry favor with the mother of Butch McRae (played by Penny Hardaway). Great scene.

wijg

Starter
It's hilarious you say that, because I was just looking for the Blue Chips clip of Nick Nolte going to the black church to curry favor with the mother of Butch McRae (played by Penny Hardaway). Great scene.
Great minds think alike... Your comment about playing 5 on 6 last night made me think of Hoosiers and I am watching it now.

NewPatriot

Starter
Shevon had 12 pts on 7 shots last game which it is pretty efficient. Has Hewitt provided any indication that he may start running the offense through Thompson?

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With a game-high 16 rebounds in the loss at St. Joe's, Shevon Thompson currently has 261 rebounds (11.9 rpg). He needs 93 more rebounds this season to break Will Thomas' Mason record for total rebounds in a season (353).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
With a game-high 16 rebounds in the loss at St. Joe's, Shevon Thompson currently has 261 rebounds (11.9 rpg). He needs 93 more rebounds this season to break Will Thomas' Mason record for total rebounds in a season (353).

Barring injury, you can put that one on lock.

Now somebody needs to teach Shevon to execute Will's two bread-and-butter post moves -- jump hook and drop step/power layup.

Kid is already averaging a double-double on just raw ability and effort ... imagine how unstoppable he'll be if he learns to catch, keep the ball high and just go right up with a little jump hook.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_d5989641-7794-5f09-8f51-7b06f8f53739.html

so he only chose Mason because Hewitt is also Jamaican? Well alright then.

Not sure how you came to the conclusion:
Thompson said that Jamaica connection played a part in his decision to sign with George Mason. “He told me the things I had to do to get better,” Thompson, a GMU junior, said of Hewitt. “Not just with basketball, but growing as a person, a young man. That’s when I said ‘OK.’ I thought I’d go with him.”

DeepValue

Starter
The entire league has figured out that if you double Shevon you can stop the Patriots. And, you can't teach Shevon to "feel" the double coming overnight - that takes time.

Soo, why not install a couple plays early in the game where Shevon just catches and automatically looks to pass? For example, have him catch and look to Jalen at the free throw line moving to the hoop. Or, have Patrick sprint to a set spot on the three point line as Shevon catches the ball. It's maddening that we haven't seen this yet.

If these plays work it will open Shevon up to catch and score like he often does one on one.

I don't know.

wijg

Starter
The entire league has figured out that if you double Shevon you can stop the Patriots. And, you can't teach Shevon to "feel" the double coming overnight - that takes time.

Soo, why not install a couple plays early in the game where Shevon just catches and automatically looks to pass? For example, have him catch and look to Jalen at the free throw line moving to the hoop. Or, have Patrick sprint to a set spot on the three point line as Shevon catches the ball. It's maddening that we haven't seen this yet.

If these plays work it will open Shevon up to catch and score like he often does one on one.

I don't know.
That does not sound like 4 out 1 in, isolation style ball. That sounds like team ball designed to utilize the talent you have. Why would we want that?

That is sarcasm in case it didn't come through. Ugh!

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Kid is already averaging a double-double on just raw ability and effort ... imagine how unstoppable he'll be if he learns to catch, keep the ball high and just go right up with a little jump hook.

He will learn that next year.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He will learn that next year.

A good amount of our poor player execution can be blamed on coaching, but in Shevon's case he just needs time to learn the game at this level. Grabbing a rebound and going up seems much more instinctual to him than catching the ball in the post and making a quick move before the double team arrives.

You can see that he is becoming more aware of the trap and is trying to get the ball back out, but it led to six turnovers last night when he panicked and threw it to a St. Joe's player. Regardless of who our coach is next year, I think we all agree for a number of reasons that Shevon will be a much more polished player.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
It should be noted that yesterday Shevon assisted on FG's by Marko & Jalen, doubling his assist total for the season.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With a game-high 14 rebounds in the Homecoming victory over UR, Shevon currently has 288 rebounds. Shevon needs 66 more rebounds this season to break Will Thomas' Mason record for rebounds in a season. Shevon's 12.0 rpg is second to Jim Nowers at Mason, who averaged 12.2 rpg in the 1973-74 season.

1. Will Thomas (2007-08) - 353
2. Kenny Sanders (1987-88) - 339
3. Kenny Sanders (1988-89) - 326
4. Jim Nowers (1973-74) - 318
5. Byron Tucker (1990-91) - 314
6. Rudolph Jones (1971-72) - 300
7. Shevon Thompson (2014-15) - 288
Jim Nowers (1972-73) - 288

Last edited:

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With a game-high 14 rebounds in the Homecoming victory over UR, Shevon currently has 288 rebounds. Shevon needs 66 more rebounds this season to break Will Thomas' Mason record for rebounds in a season. Shevon's 12.0 rpg is second to Jim Nowers at Mason, who averaged 12.2 rpg in the 1973-74 season.

1. Will Thomas (2007-08) - 353
2. Kenny Sanders (1987-88) - 339
3. Kenny Sanders (1988-89) - 326
4. Jim Nowers (1973-74) - 318
5. Byron Tucker (1990-91) - 314
6. Rudolph Jones (1971-72) - 300
7. Shevon Thompson (2014-15) - 288
Jim Nowers (1972-73) - 288

Is this regular season only? I ask because Will Thomas probably played more games in that season than Shevon will due to lack of postseason opportuniities.