Searching for Vaughn Gray

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Brian, while I think everybody here agrees it would be see to see Gray get some more minutes, only you thinks he should be starting and playing over Wright. Nothing, not even your hypothetical numbers, can convince me that he and Sherrod are interchangeable.

I can see him, however, being a guy who can give us 8-10 points a game next year if given more playing time. We're going in circles here, so let's agree that VG should be playing more and that "crap" is far from foul language. ;)

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Seriously, you have to be kidding with this crap about Gray being a star. I'm completely on board that he should be playing about 10 minutes a game, but what exactly have you seen from VG that indicates he could ever be a star — and I'm not talking about stats or projections?

Trust me, if he is as good as you want him to be, the coaches would find a way to play him 30 minutes a game. The fact that he can't even crack the rotation has to tell you that something is missing.

How about we just hope he gets on the court and scores a few buckets and plays some good defense? Baby steps...

Well the same thing happened to Arledge until Hewitt was forced to start him with J2 out and look how he finished the season.

Not saying Gray will score 18 a game or anything, but with this coaching staff just because you aren't starting or playing much doesn't mean you can't hack it in the court.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not saying Gray will score 18 a game or anything, but with this coaching staff just because you aren't starting or playing much doesn't mean you can't hack it in the court.

I never said VG can't hack it. In fact, I think he can be a solid contributor if given consistent minutes. I just see him more as a role player rather than a star like Sherrod or Cam Long.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We need to stop with the "Sherrod is a star" BS because it's just not true.

He was at his best as a sophomore when he didn't have to shoot as much and could play a complementary role to Pearson. Since then, his shooting numbers have gradually fallen and he's become a highly inefficient player.

Since the mid-point of last season, he hasn't even the best all-around player on our team. Allen is better on both ends of the floor.

And quite frankly, the fact that Gray isn't playing doesn't at all lead me to conclude that he can't contribute in a significant way. I'd be more inclined to think our coach has no clue about who should be playing and who should be sitting.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator

He was at his best as a sophomore when he didn't have to shoot as much and could play a complementary role to Pearson. Since then, his shooting numbers have gradually fallen and he's become a highly inefficient player.

Since the mid-point of last season, he hasn't even the best all-around player on our team. Allen is better on both ends of the floor.

And quite frankly, the fact that Gray isn't playing doesn't at all lead me to conclude that he can't contribute in a significant way. I'd be more inclined to think our coach has no clue about who should be playing and who should be sitting.

I've never been on the Sherrad Wright bandwagon either. People here, for whatever reason, tried to pump this guy up to be some star that he isn't and will never be. He is going to be totally overmatched in the A10. He has an ugly jumper, has no hops and gets stuffed around the rim. Not to mentionn he has no feel for the game. Time for him to move on...

Dawgs99

Starter
Every time Sherrod get the ball and starts dribbling, especially near mid court, I know something bad's about the happen. I'd rather watch VG fire up 3 balls all day than watch SW shot another f**king airball!!!! Watching this team play is like getting a prostate exam. Even the wins piss me off.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

Jim, Sherrod absolutely has star talent, which is why the A10 coaches and media picked him as one of the top 10 players in the league prior to the season starting. I'm not saying he has lived up to that this year, but the ability is absolutely there.

Sherrod's problem has always been that he lacks the mental toughness to match his physical talents. I do realize that the word "star" is thrown around too much, and I actually agree that Allen is our best all-round player. As for the ridiculous claim that he has no hops:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I've never been on the Sherrad Wright bandwagon either. People here, for whatever reason, tried to pump this guy up to be some star that he isn't and will never be. He is going to be totally overmatched in the A10. He has an ugly jumper, has no hops and gets stuffed around the rim. Not to mentionn he has no feel for the game. Time for him to move on...

Except that none of this is true.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Unfortunately, it looks we may never know what he can accomplish in a game situation when he gets only 14 seconds to play in a game. Notably, he managed to secure a rebound in those 14 seconds.

I have this odd nagging feeling about Wright's performances: Since has been the primary focus on our team, and this is based purely on gut feeling and memory, it seems like it is typically a Wright-only show and almost everyone else struggles. In games where he is a no show, it feels like the rest of the team plays better collectively as a team. I know there is a little but of a well-duh, factor to the second part of my statement, but hopefully you get what I am pondering. Kind of like when you have a super star on your team and the rest of the team sort of defers, potentially to the overall performance of the team as a whole.

If that is truly the case, it would seem that he is not good for the "team". I don't know how to go about proving or disproving this with data. And if it were, true, what could you do about it?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Sherrod never has made anyone else on our team better, and he's not about to start now.

He's terrible defensively, has no handle and a negative assist-to-turnover ratio for his career.

At least he used to be a super-efficient scorer. Now he can't even do that.

I get why Hewitt hasn't benched him -- he'd most likely check out for good if that happens -- but I don't understand why Gray isn't getting more of his minutes.

This season is a wash. We may as well take the next 16 games to see if we have any real hope for the future with these younger guys.

Harry

Starter
Im seeing a Rg3 aura with Sherrod......and Rg3 was benched. Maybe that is coming down the road for Sherrod too.
Unfortunately, benching RGIII resulted in three losses to end the season. Better to have played him. But I have no idea what to do about Sherrod...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Unfortunately, benching RGIII resulted in three losses to end the season. Better to have played him. But I have no idea what to do about Sherrod...

What difference did those 3 losses make ... other than helping the Rams get an even better draft pick?

We're not winning the A-10. We're not making the NIT. Everything else is just conversation at this point.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Someone needs to send an airplane to pick up Vaughan Gray from Hawaii. Apparently he is still on the beach trying to pronounce the Hawaiian word for offense.

sigmanorm

Starter
Why can't this guy get on the floor. It is obvious that what we are doing now isn't working. I don't watch practices and I don't review game films, but there has to be something that Gray can do for this team, even if it is just put some more length and athleticism on the floor. #Can'tHurtToTryRight?

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If Gray is back next season, I will be absolutely floored.

That's assuming Hewitt returns. In the unlikely event that he gets his pink slip, perhaps Gray will decide to finish up at Mason.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer
If Gray is back next season, I will be absolutely floored.

That's assuming Hewitt returns. In the unlikely event that he gets his pink slip, perhaps Gray will decide to finish up at Mason.

I don't like to see a talented player like Gray sit on the bench. I wished he had transferred after last season. Now, I doubt that any D-1 program would be interested in giving him 2 years on scholarship for just 1 year of eligibility remaining.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Maybe he thought that with Vaughans transferring and Okoloji seemingly falling out of favor there would be a greater chance for an expanded role this year.

That didn't pan out and I have no idea why Okoloji is in rotation and Gray is not.