SCOTUS Strikes Down Restrictions on Benefits Restrictions in Unanimous Vote

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What's better than getting 500k from G Leagie? 500k cash. Tax free.

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Whitehead's brother is in the NFL, which allows some flexibility to roll the dice on Duke and the NIL benefits.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed - the power conference schools have always paid their players - they had to hide it to appear legal. This law just allows it to occur in the open. It doesn't mean more money will be spent on the P6 players - it will just be more direct.

However, mid-majors can get in on this as they don't need convoluted means to do so - they can just budget in a a pay plan.

What hasn't been discussed in the tax ramifications. All those under the table benefits were mostly tax free. Now that its codified as "legal" - the IRS will reach out its hand to take a cut. Additionally, this opens the door to athletic scholarships being taxable.
Tax implications is something I didn’t think about. Imagine all the stories that may come out of players not paying their taxes and then possibly missing playing time. There are going to be a lot of vultures getting in on this and ripping kids off.

I’m all for players getting paid but these situations are inevitable. Parents and athletes need to tread very carefully.

Imagine a Headline: “Oduro Suspended for NCAA Tournament. Owes 3 years in back Taxes”

If it can happen to pros or will happen in college.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Tax implications is something I didn’t think about. Imagine all the stories that may come out of players not paying their taxes and then possibly missing playing time. There are going to be a lot of vultures getting in on this and ripping kids off.

I’m all for players getting paid but these situations are inevitable. Parents and athletes need to tread very carefully.

Imagine a Headline: “Oduro Suspended for NCAA Tournament. Owes 3 years in back Taxes”

Unintended consequences.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

What university of Oregon is doing is pretty smart. They set up an institute with faculty from the school of business and the school of journalism to teach classes in self-marketing/brand management. Not sure if personal finance is on the curriculum, but it’s a smart idea.

Cool thing is it looks like the classes are open to all students.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Or it's an opportunity to provide these college students with some good life lessons on how taxation works and how to properly forecast and save for it. I believe that Mason has retained a firm to help provide education to student athletes on NIL, if taxes aren't a part of their curriculum then it absolutely should be.