SCOTUS Strikes Down Restrictions on Benefits Restrictions in Unanimous Vote

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just wait till the tax man cometh. These athletes won't know what hit'em. Now some would call this a good problem (I'm one of them), but many of these guys likely have no idea how to manage this.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just wait till the tax man cometh. These athletes won't know what hit'em. Now some would call this a good problem (I'm one of them), but many of these guys likely have no idea how to manage this.

They’ll be a lot more prepared for this, I bet, being part of a university athletic department, than a 19-21 yo who just turned pro.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
They’ll be a lot more prepared for this, I bet, being part of a university athletic department, than a 19-21 yo who just turned pro.

Not to be a broken record here, but I had to take a class as a music major about being a freelance musician and how to manage yourself as a business. How to invoice students for your lessons, how to keep track of your gig money, etc. I didn't retain much info, but it was part of my "music education" since a lot of musicians wind up doing just that.

Lots of parallels between what the student athletes are getting now (small time deals but still enough money for the IRS to take notice) and how we were treated as "student musicians." They gotta learn either way because if they ever make it big time the deals get that much bigger. With all the "sports marketing" majors that come through college as student athletes I'm assuming most get some training in how to handle this stuff.

I honestly think it's a great thing that these kids get to learn that their labor has value and the better they perform on the court the more opportunities will open up for them to market themselves better. It's a great test for most of them before they get into the real world. They might get burned by taxes, greedy family members, a $799/mo lease on a Tesla, whatever, but at least they're learning it now with their coaches and teachers as a safety net.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just watched an interview with a Clemson football player talk about how a few players already have six figure deals.

He wore a t-shirt from the talk show he was on as he was getting paid for the interview.

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
There are 300+ Div 1 Men's Bball teams
i believe they will sgement into those who can pay players and those who cant

ultimately a regional based super team conference composed of 50-75 teams
and everyone else in Div 1

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Just like it has been post the last SCOTUS decision.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I remind you that the "teams" or schools are not the ones doing the paying. It is individual businesses that are doing the paying. As Gemini mentioned we have already been divided by resources, hence the reason we have terms like P5/P6/Mid-major/Low-major. The top teams have had all the advantages in recruiting to date, there are the same number of slots on teams and the same number players for those slots with or without this ruling. So, we can't lose something we didn't have a shot at in the first place.

On the flip side, maybe this allows us to have one of our big local businesses entice big recruit choose us/choose to stay with us rather than be stuck on the bench at a P6. With the transfer rule/portal already pointing towards the P6 doing less freshmen in favor of poaching proven D1 talent from the mid-majors, this the possibility of mid-majors of paying their top recruit to stay rather than transferring.

It is hard to predict all the ramifications, but, I see it as putting more money in the player's pockets, which I feel is a good thing. On the disparity between the P6 and mid-majors, I don't see how it could make things any worse than they already are, and it gives us the hope of a top recruit being paid enough to stay with us instead of going/transferring up.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Feels like the Ivy league schools would have a new upper hand since their alums make more money than most. Law firms, tech etc, guys paying kids big $$ to play there.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Alabama's expected starter at QB supposedly getting close to million dollar NIL offers.

Alabama redshirt freshman quarterback Bryce Young assumes the reins of the most important position on the field this season for the defending national champions, and his star power has a chance to be considerably lucrative for the former five-star prospect. Speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention on Tuesday, Alabama coach Nick Saban revealed that one of his players has been offered a substantial name, image and likeness deal, though he did not specify the player by name.

"Our quarterback has already approached ungodly numbers, and he hasn’t even played yet," Saban said, via 247Sports' Chris Hummer. "If I told you what it is … it’s almost seven figures."

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Alabama's expected starter at QB supposedly getting close to million dollar NIL offers.

Alabama redshirt freshman quarterback Bryce Young assumes the reins of the most important position on the field this season for the defending national champions, and his star power has a chance to be considerably lucrative for the former five-star prospect. Speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association convention on Tuesday, Alabama coach Nick Saban revealed that one of his players has been offered a substantial name, image and likeness deal, though he did not specify the player by name.

"Our quarterback has already approached ungodly numbers, and he hasn’t even played yet," Saban said, via 247Sports' Chris Hummer. "If I told you what it is … it’s almost seven figures."

Isn't that a pay cut for an Alabama QB?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

500k offer by G League turned down by Whithead to play at Duke. Anyone wanna guess what Duke offered him for NIL?