SCOTUS Strikes Down Restrictions on Benefits Restrictions in Unanimous Vote

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
When I was in school I used to make $1000-ish every graduation season by playing "Pomp and Circumstance" with my brass quartet for the various schools' graduation ceremonies. I also used to play paid gigs whenever I could get them. I was getting a scholarship from the school of music to attend (not a full ride, but still something). That money was also taxable. I don't see much difference...I would have been pissed if the music school had pimped me out for paid gigs and kept the money.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
When I was in school I used to make $1000-ish every graduation season by playing "Pomp and Circumstance" with my brass quartet for the various schools' graduation ceremonies. I also used to play paid gigs whenever I could get them. I was getting a scholarship from the school of music to attend (not a full ride, but still something). That money was also taxable. I don't see much difference...I would have been pissed if the music school had pimped me out for paid gigs and kept the money.

Oh I agree - on all your points. I just think its something that wasn't discussed as much when talking about money. Asa student - you can also claim exemptions to a point but if you are making a lot of money those would be OBE.

It will be interesting to see how much this changes.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
It will be interesting to see how much this changes.

I don't think we can even fathom the full impact but, NIL combined w/the transfer portal, is going to turn college athletics into a massive free agency as talented recruits (or those that think they are) are going to see money flying out the door as they sit behind the competition. The days of the team-first guy doing the dirty work behind the scenes are going to be mostly over as that doesn't help "building your brand" and the flashy showboating like Ocho Cinco pulling a sharpie out of his sock will become more of the norm as players try to build up their social media followings to make them more attractive to advertisers.

The post-season will become infinitely more important as it's a chance to appear before a national audience which will help w/the more lucrative deals. And "our University will help you build your brand" which was already part of the recruiting pitch is going to be up front. I wouldn't be surprised if some coaches even start guaranteeing starter minutes to top recruits. And that in turn I expect to create a whole turnover in the coaching profession itself as the dynamics change and a different philosophy and personality is needed to be successful. In the pros, at least the teams are paying a salary. In college, the income will come from the advertisers alone.

I also expect it to trickle down to HS athletics as getting that college scholarship becomes even more financially lucrative and you're going to see an explosion of sideline coaches justifying themselves that they're acting in their child's best interests.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we can even fathom the full impact but, NIL combined w/the transfer portal, is going to turn college athletics into a massive free agency as talented recruits (or those that think they are) are going to see money flying out the door as they sit behind the competition. The days of the team-first guy doing the dirty work behind the scenes are going to be mostly over as that doesn't help "building your brand" and the flashy showboating like Ocho Cinco pulling a sharpie out of his sock will become more of the norm as players try to build up their social media followings to make them more attractive to advertisers.

The post-season will become infinitely more important as it's a chance to appear before a national audience which will help w/the more lucrative deals. And "our University will help you build your brand" which was already part of the recruiting pitch is going to be up front. I wouldn't be surprised if some coaches even start guaranteeing starter minutes to top recruits. And that in turn I expect to create a whole turnover in the coaching profession itself as the dynamics change and a different philosophy and personality is needed to be successful. In the pros, at least the teams are paying a salary. In college, the income will come from the advertisers alone.

I also expect it to trickle down to HS athletics as getting that college scholarship becomes even more financially lucrative and you're going to see an explosion of sideline coaches justifying themselves that they're acting in their child's best interests.
Fortunately, regardless of how it unfolds, I'm betting CKE knows how to play it to his/Mason's advantage.

Masonfan3

Starter
Guys. The deals out there are influencer deals, tweeting, Instagram posts, TikTok, et cetera (there’s also one out there that pays athletes to play video games with fans online). Very few athletes will get any kind of major endorsement deals, if any. It’ll all be about their own online presence and their own hustle.

Some guy is paying every scholarship football player at Miami $500 a month to advertise his gym. That comes out to over $500k and while it is not all going to one player, it is just a matter of time before someone gets a 6 figure deal. College sports will never be the same..

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
View: https://twitter.com/therealtick3t/status/1412469737351680009?s=21

Ticket jumps on the Yoke train with a bunch of other college athletes. Between this, his ongoing YouTube documentary he’s filming, and him being billed as a lockdown defender/hustle guy, I’ve got a feeling he’s gonna be my favorite player on the team. Sign me up.
Just hope they don't get so caught up in self-promotion that their game suffers.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
That’s an entire football team, wait until we see what the 13-man roster basketball teams start getting.

I'm wondering how shoe deals will work out... go to a Nike school, have a shoe deal Freshman year. Obviously that's only for the top 1% of athletes, but that's possible now, right?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
How about Lockheed Martin endorsing our sharp shooters? Or Dunkin endorsing a kid that can yam it.?? Lots of money can be paid out.