News Relvao’s Departure Leaves Patriots Green

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Pretty obvious from everyone talking about the upcoming season that Calixte was going to be the starter.
doesn't take an insider to realize Calixte and the combo of the smaller freshman 4's would be the go to. Not sure where the sudden revere on this board for Relvao's on court play has come from

JBiggs

Starter
To bring some levity regarding Relvao's potential contributions for this season, here are some numbers from Basketball Reference:
  • He appeared in 27 games and averaged 6.9 minutes (187 total), and averaged 1.4 fouls (37 total) in those 7 minutes per game. An astounding number based on his minutes played.
  • For the entire season, he made 8-20 from 2P (.400), and 6-9 from the FT line (.667), and scored a total of 22 points (0.8 per game)
  • 1.6 TRB (44 for the season), 3 total assists, 4 total steals, and 10 total blocks (12 TOs)
  • Per 40, he averaged a whopping 4.7 points, 7.9 fouls (!!!), 0.6 assists, and 9.4 TRB
  • He had an ORtg of 84.5, and a DRtg of 99.9, a -1.0 box +/-, and an astounding TO percentage of 33.1 (meaning he turned the ball over about 1 out of every 3 touches).
  • Bottom line, he was an average to slightly-below-average defender who could rebound fairly well (TRB% of 13.1), but he has poor hands, was incredibly foul-prone, and has very little natural offensive skill or passing ability/court vision. Not to mention the persistent injury concerns.
Again, we'll miss the slight depth addition, but we need to be realistic about what the kid could offer the team. I wish him all the best in the future.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/daniel-relvao-1.html

Most teams in America are 1-2 illnesses/injuries away from being significantly weakened and Mason is no exception.

If Otis or Jaire get sick or miss extended time because of injury, we obviously have a huge problem. That also was the case before Relvao announced he was leaving.

This roster is what it is. We don't have much depth. We might end up having to give 1-2 of the walk-ons spot minutes at some point this season.

But suggesting that Relvao's departure will cost us 5 games is silly. He literally was the last eligible scholarship player on the depth chart. If we were relying on him to play a significant role, we were already screwed.

Look Jim , I'm not saying Relvao leaving is gonna cost us that many losses. You missed my point. What if Calixte fouls out and Mar and Wilson can't bang with the big boys down low, what do we do? We have no one to replace them with in the half court. We are one Greg Calixte injury away from a 5-guard lineup for the entire season.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Again, we'll miss the slight depth addition, but we need to be realistic about what the kid could offer the team. I wish him all the best in the future.

I think most were being pretty realistic:

My concern is we had 10 fouls to give in the post, now only 5.

I totally get that Relvao was going to end up playing back up minutes and that this is a guard oriented team, BUT those are now roughly 6-8 minutes a game we have to replace, and 5 less fouls at a position that is paper thin in terms of size and experience. The sky isn't falling; nowhere close to it, but one can't act like this doesn't matter at all.

Nobody is saying Relvao was a stud, but like others said he could give you a handful of minutes, especially during games where foul trouble becomes a factor.

We aren't gonna miss Relvao for his talent/skillset, it's the 5 fouls and big body to defend other big bodies and garbage minutes to spell our starters that we are gonna miss.

Agree with the biggest impact being the minutes, and the fouls he could give. This will set us up for a better season next year though. I'm still giving the team a pass this season with very high hopes for next season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Look Jim , I'm not saying Relvao leaving is gonna cost us that many losses. You missed my point. What if Calixte fouls out and Mar and Wilson can't bang with the big boys down low, what do we do? We have no one to replace them with in the half court. We are one Greg Calixte injury away from a 5-guard lineup for the entire season.

We are only going to play a handful of teams all season that have big boys who bang down low.

College basketball is going the way of the NBA. Less physical, more finesse, more 3-pointers and less reliance on low post play.

If anything we will benefit from having a more athletic lineup to defend the 3-point line and switch on ball screens.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
We should be able to get a high caliber forward then considering how much playing time we can offer.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
2014-15.

Cooke, Smith, Davis and Pollard were sophomores. Pierre was a junior and Sibert was a senior.

That was the extent of their scholarship rotation. They had nobody over 6-6 but still made the NCAA and won a game.

Not suggesting this Mason team can do that, just that it has been done before.

Well that's incredible. Did not know that.

JBiggs

Starter
I was sort of speaking to myself as well, because I was initially very concerned about the lack of depth. I'm still concerned, but less so than when I first heard the news.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Copes and everything that went along with him. It's like saying Kermit Washington had an even temper, except for that one game against the Rockets.

Given the baggage Relvao came in with and that he left the team right before the season, I'll still take Copes.

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Copes pre hip injury was a beast, he was never the same after.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk