News Relvao’s Departure Leaves Patriots Green

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Probably because the only big guys we have now are a 6'8" freshman and two 6'7" wing guys who don't exactly have the bodies yet to defend the paint at the A10 level.

Nobody is saying Relvao was a stud, but like others said he could give you a handful of minutes, especially during games where foul trouble becomes a factor. We won't miss him every game, but there will be a handful of games this year when not having another big body option will hurt us.

I'm not sold on Calixte yet. It's not like he had major offers out of high school or an eye popping stat line (he averaged 14 points per game - meh). Maybe others got some inside info that he is tearing it up at practice - I don't know... but putting all of our eggs in his basket scares the crap out of me. I hope he can defend A10 bigs without getting in foul trouble, but that's a lot to ask of a freshman!

It’s definitely going to take some creativity to help Calixste up front against bigs in the A10 or even non conference. But that said I think Wilson will help around the 4, and Mar helping at the wing may alleviate as well. The three of them are going to have to step in and be ready to go.

You may have to have the deny the post dare to shoot strategy more often then not if Calixste gets in trouble.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
It’s definitely going to take some creativity to help Calixste up front against bigs in the A10 or even non conference. But that said I think Wilson will help around the 4, and Mar helping at the wing may alleviate as well. The three of them are going to have to step in and be ready to go.

You may have to have the deny the post dare to shoot strategy more often then not if Calixste gets in trouble.

We're definitely going to double the post a lot more than we did with either Shevon or Jalen at the 5.

The thing working in our advantage is Dave's teams tend not to foul much. It's one of his guiding principles -- hold your ground and make them shoot over you; don't put them on the line.

JBiggs

Starter
I haven't seen Calixte play much at all, but at the very least he seems to have a college body with above-average strength for a freshman. I think 6-8, 230 is plenty to hang with A-10 bigs, but the issue, as has been said several times, is foul-trouble. Opposing coaches are going to go at him all game in an attempt to foul him out. It's going to be problematic many nights, but at the very least it will be a great learning experience for our young frontcourt. I'm excited about watching a unit of Otis, Justin, Jaire, Ian, AJ. That group on the court will be fun to watch.

I agree with Gunnie's post on this thread. We aren't gonna miss Relvao for his talent/skillset, it's the 5 fouls and big body to defend other big bodies and garbage minutes to spell our starters that we are gonna miss.

We need to sign a JUCO mid-season or else we are gonna be lucky to win 10 games now.

MasonCrew

Starter
Agree with the biggest impact being the minutes, and the fouls he could give. This will set us up for a better season next year though. I'm still giving the team a pass this season with very high hopes for next season.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with Gunnie's post on this thread. We aren't gonna miss Relvao for his talent/skillset, it's the 5 fouls and big body to defend other big bodies and garbage minutes to spell our starters that we are gonna miss.

We need to sign a JUCO mid-season or else we are gonna be lucky to win 10 games now.

That would be a waste of a scholarship down the road and a sign of desperation.

Let's keep in mind that there were points last season when we played with 5 guards on the floor, none of them over 6'4 (Paulsen didn't exactly trust Temara, Relvao, or Dixon with holding a lead late in the game). In that respect, having AJ and Mar on the roster will help. What we won't have is a savvy, veteran big like Jalen on the floor when we do have a traditional lineup.

For. F*ck's. Sake. :bagoverhead:

do you disagree with me Jim? Instead of being a cool, rah, rah, GMU rules, our staff and team has no blemishes kinda guy, why don't you look at he realistic sides of things. Believe me, I would love to have that optimistic look like you have. I love our guards. I think we have some great talent at the 1-3 positions.

I am a fan of Paulsen, no doubt. To have a shiny brand new 5-year contract and only 8 scholarship players available at the start of the season, call me a bit nervous, and rightfully so.

Since you are a resident expert in roster management, what happens if we get two guys who come down with the flu during the season? Or god forbid our kids get suspended during the season like several of them did last year? What about someone getting a nagging injury that they get shut down for 5-10 games for?

What was wrong with my post?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
do you disagree with me Jim? Instead of being a cool, rah, rah, GMU rules, our staff and team has no blemishes kinda guy, why don't you look at he realistic sides of things. Believe me, I would love to have that optimistic look like you have. I love our guards. I think we have some great talent at the 1-3 positions.

I am a fan of Paulsen, no doubt. To have a shiny brand new 5-year contract and only 8 scholarship players available at the start of the season, call me a bit nervous, and rightfully so.

Since you are a resident expert in roster management, what happens if we get two guys who come down with the flu during the season? Or god forbid our kids get suspended during the season like several of them did last year? What about someone getting a nagging injury that they get shut down for 5-10 games for?

what's wrong with your post is you said we will be lucky to win 10 games without Relvao or a JUCO signing. That is just stupid. Was Relvao really worth 5-10 wins? LOL for f&cks sake

masonjoe

Starter

Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people think losing Relvao equals 7-10 additional losses this season...

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Most teams in America are 1-2 illnesses/injuries away from being significantly weakened and Mason is no exception.

If Otis or Jaire get sick or miss extended time because of injury, we obviously have a huge problem. That also was the case before Relvao announced he was leaving.

This roster is what it is. We don't have much depth. We might end up having to give 1-2 of the walk-ons spot minutes at some point this season.

But suggesting that Relvao's departure will cost us 5 games is silly. He literally was the last eligible scholarship player on the depth chart. If we were relying on him to play a significant role, we were already screwed.

MasonCrew

Starter
Imagine what would happen to this board if we lost a starter. Total nuclear meltdown.

We techincally did. I can't imagine he wouldn't have started day 1 at least. But then again maybe not, and maybe that's why he was leaving. Regardless his future didn't seem chock full of playing time across the next two years.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that people think losing Relvao equals 7-10 additional losses this season...
I had my freak out moment earlier. But in reflection, I’m not changing my prediction. I said 16-15(9-9) with Relvao, and I think that’s still where we are barring any major injury.
Even if Relvao leaving ends up hurting us this year, it could accelerate roster building and experience for the future. AJ is going to have to play some more of the 5 now, and I don’t hate that. Maybe we can add a big to the 2018 or 2019 class now, and I don’t hate that either. There has got to be someone out there that will be a better future return for our scholarship than Relvao.