Regular Season Home Attendance

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I feel like I am going to get bashed for my answer. But I went to two games.

Yes ticket prices are expensive, but frankly I also like watching the games at home better. However, I do want to go and show support.

Appreciate your honesty. Maybe we need to do a better job convincing you that you are missing a lot by not attending.

For example, although Doc Nix does get some screen time during televised games, it's nothing like hearing the full arrangements that you get in person! I've often commented that the time-outs sometimes aren't long enough when the band has to cut short one of the songs!

If you like to hear what the tv announcers are saying about the team, here's a solution: DVR the game and watch it once you get home from the game. I've been known to do this during the season. Fast forward through the commercials and the parts of the game where we played badly so you can focus on the commentary and any controversial or particularly spectacular plays.

Organize some of your alumni friends, buy a small block of season tickets together, and decide who is going to what games. Cuts down the full cost of having a season ticket while giving you some company when you do go to games.

Other ideas?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Appreciate your honesty. Maybe we need to do a better job convincing you that you are missing a lot by not attending.

For example, although Doc Nix does get some screen time during televised games, it's nothing like hearing the full arrangements that you get in person! I've often commented that the time-outs sometimes aren't long enough when the band has to cut short one of the songs!

If you like to hear what the tv announcers are saying about the team, here's a solution: DVR the game and watch it once you get home from the game. I've been known to do this during the season. Fast forward through the commercials and the parts of the game where we played badly so you can focus on the commentary and any controversial or particularly spectacular plays.

Organize some of your alumni friends, buy a small block of season tickets together, and decide who is going to what games. Cuts down the full cost of having a season ticket while giving you some company when you do go to games.

Other ideas?
Your right, and I deff plan on attending more games next season. That said your talking to a super fan who watches every game. It should be easy to convince me to go to more games. The real challenge is convincing the casual fan to attend.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Your right, and I deff plan on attending more games next season. That said your talking to a super fan who watches every game. It should be easy to convince me to go to more games. The real challenge is convincing the casual fan to attend.

So.....do you know some casual fans? If you know of 3, then buy a pair of season tickets, split the costs and the games you each are interested in seeing. Similar to the advice they give people who have trouble working out regularly---find a buddy to work out with and you'll feel informal social pressure to go to the gym so you won't be letting your friend down.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So.....do you know some casual fans? If you know of 3, then buy a pair of season tickets, split the costs and the games you each are interested in seeing. Similar to the advice they give people who have trouble working out regularly---find a buddy to work out with and you'll feel informal social pressure to go to the gym so you won't be letting your friend down.

Thanks for the advice, but I find it rather insulting.

I do what I can to show my support. I don't need someone telling me how to do a better job. I support the program by watching the games on TV, and purchasing the A-10 network package.

TV contracts bring in a lot of money for the school by the way.. Better TV ratings = more negotiating power.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Thinking of other places that provide season passes, does Mason run a season ticket table at home games? I'm thinking of places like the zoo and the aquarium where you can take you pass and go to a membership window and apply the cost of the pass towards a membership package on the same day (get them while they are there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I believe there is a booth for ticket information at the South Concourse entrance (near where the season ticket holder giveaways are)

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I do what I can to show my support. I don't need someone telling me how to do a better job. I support the program by watching the games on TV, and purchasing the A-10 network package.

TV contracts bring in a lot of money for the school by the way.. Better TV ratings = more negotiating power.

So basically anyone who's offered a suggestion to you or asked a question, or offers you opinions on things, either is a homer, rude, or insulting to you. Keep this up, you're sensitivity is highly amusing and entertaining.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
So basically anyone who's offered a suggestion to you or asked a question, or offers you opinions on things, either is a homer, rude, or insulting to you. Keep this up, you're sensitivity is highly amusing and entertaining.
And you called me the troll.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And you called me the troll.

I said you become more troll like, I didn't say you were a troll.

But based on your comments, I didnt expect reading to be your strong point. Carry on.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Someone on this board is making the effort to give someone else (you) reasons to attend in person.. and that is insulting?

I typically enjoy your counterpoints and like the debate that you spark. Whether I agree with it or not, you at least provide some discussion points and content. All that being said, this is pathetic.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Someone on this board is making the effort to give someone else (you) reasons to attend in person.. and that is insulting?

I typically enjoy your counterpoints and like the debate that you spark. Whether I agree with it or not, you at least provide some discussion points and content. All that being said, this is pathetic.

I agree my comments were pathetic. I let my emotions get the best of me. I'm frankly just tired of having to prove myself as a fan.

Sorry everyone, I will keep my posts about basketball moving forward.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I said you become more troll like, I didn't say you were a troll.

But based on your comments, I didnt expect reading to be your strong point. Carry on.
Sorry for the homer comments. As I said in a different post, I'm tired of proving I'm a fan.

Obviously we have vastly different opinions and that's fine. In my opinion differences in opinions is what makes these forums fun.

And I will never be one to claim to be a good typer or speller hahah. I work as a Data Analyst. I can crunch numbers but I can bearly formulate a sentence.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I recently transitioned from Princeton to Tennessee, and I was actually having a conversation this morning about improving attendance and atmosphere at UT basketball games, and the overwhelming subject we kept coming back to was game vs event. For me, entrance and player intros set the tone for the entire production. Like Dj3 mentioned, people don't come to games for the game anymore, they go for the experience. The schools that pack their arenas don't have games, they have events, they put on shows. I love the Green Machine, and would never ever suggest that they be taken out of gameday, but they can't carry the entertainment experience by themselves. Has anyone seen what Florida did for their entrance against Kentucky? It was amazing. Did anyone watch the Dayton/vcu game last night? The video of their entrance/player introductions with fans having glow sticks (like the glow sticks at Mason Madness) was fantastic. Does our entrance get anyone excited? No, it f'ing boring. Turn the lights off, play loud music, get a green and gold light show going, get some glow sticks in the crowd, and make the fans feel like that are at a show.

Check this out, the entrance is Rick Barnes approved.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlsyOQEDy9o

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I recently transitioned from Princeton to Tennessee, and I was actually having a conversation this morning about improving attendance and atmosphere at UT basketball games, and the overwhelming subject we kept coming back to was game vs event. For me, entrance and player intros set the tone for the entire production. Like Dj3 mentioned, people don't come to games for the game anymore, they go for the experience. The schools that pack their arenas don't have games, they have events, they put on shows. I love the Green Machine, and would never ever suggest that they be taken out of gameday, but they can't carry the entertainment experience by themselves. Has anyone seen what Florida did for their entrance against Kentucky? It was amazing. Did anyone watch the Dayton/vcu game last night? The video of their entrance/player introductions with fans having glow sticks (like the glow sticks at Mason Madness) was fantastic. Does our entrance get anyone excited? No, it f'ing boring. Turn the lights off, play loud music, get a green and gold light show going, get some glow sticks in the crowd, and make the fans feel like that are at a show.

Where's that GIF of the guy beating the dead horse?

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Holy cow. That gave me chills

Steve33

Sixth Man
That video of Florida pregame is amazing, and to have the fans join in is great. that will NEVER happen at Mason. Why??? cause everyone with a gold or green room pass is doesnt get to their seat until 3 minutes into the game. Frustrates me beyond belief. When the team comes out 40% of the fans are still sipping their beverage and eating their meal instead of welcoming the team to the court.