Regular Season Home Attendance

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Personally, I like HC in February with a big-name game during the thick of in-conference play. Do you really want to see a HC game against Howard, NJIT, or Maryland Eastern Shore? And during a moment in the season where there are fewer casual fans following the team? C'mon.

It doesn't really makes sense for it to be either (at the end of Fall semester, or in the spring), but one thing you DON'T want to do is chose a game where you're likely to get a large crowd anyway (vcu being a prime example of a game that draws outside of homecoming).

I'm sure you could do better than Howard, or UMES too if you do it during the OOC.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sure do. Ideal homecoming experience is getting toasted and watching us smash a crappy team. We've lost way too many homecoming games over the years.
Bit of a double edge sword tho. Sure, we could lose a conference game. But if we're in the hunt in February, I think having a big turnout for a middle/end-of-conference slate game is a huge boost to the team.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Personally I don't really have a preference one way or another, and I have no idea if the University has a preference either. I'm just glad they have it around basketball and that's that. I don't care because I attend the games I can since I am out of town based on what my schedule is. I know that the first weekend of December is usually a Mason home game and that is usually always a good weekend for me personally to come down for a game.

However, many folks feel that November gives a better opportunity and chance for better weather for tailgating and outdoor activities. Plus the chance to beat up on a weak opponent doesn't matter to most, it matters more than its more likely to be a win. The casual fan wants to see a win at the 1 game a year they attend.
I'll tailgate with snow in my hair! I'll tailgate with stale oak leaves under my feet! I'LL TAILGATE!

However, a November tailgate coincides with NFL and NCAA football (something I don't care about, but many of you do here), as well as Thanksgiving. And then trying to fit in HC around the team travelling to a MTE? Too much for Homecoming to compete with.

For a homecoming opponent? I would want a better OOC matchup than Coppin State. I want an opponent to get pumped up about playing—a meaningful game. What P5 team in their right mind would ever come to Mason early in the season to play during Mason's HC? Good luck with that.

I agree to disagree on all counts.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Bit of a double edge sword tho. Sure, we could lose a conference game. But if we're in the hunt in February, I think having a big turnout for a middle/end-of-conference slate game is a huge boost to the team.

But if they are in the hunt, the crowds should be large anyway:

For instance, we got 9366 for Northeastern on senior night in 2010-2011.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I suspect that if next year the team goes something like 9-3 OOC, winning all the games it should and losing none that it shouldn't, and start out like 7-1 in conference, you would still be surprised at how low the turnout would be. It will take multiple years of being good to see attendance truly rebound.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fairweather Fairfax will turn out anyway if we're in the hunt in February. I find the arguments for an early season homecoming much more compelling:

- Rope in the casuals early in the season. "We beat Morgan State by 30! We're gonna be awesome!" Now that person (me tbh) has 12+ home games to attend instead of 4.

- Turn up attendance for a low attendance matchup, instead of cannibalizing your attendance with something like the vcu game, which is always well attended anyway.

- If we're in the hunt in February, and some casuals started following along in November because they had a great time at homecoming... fellas, that's how you build a following.

Thanks to Five-Two for enumerating all this, I think it's a great idea.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
Its all about the students. Current students are future season ticket holders.
go after student groups for biggest return on investment.
I would love to see a study on students as to why they don't attend regularly. Most of us old guys here can only speculate on why they don't..
some guesses not knowing the intricate parts of the game (ex block vs charge), having to go to things called classes, having to do papers or study for those things called classes, working to pay for tuition.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
I understand why, but, WOW, look at Fordham's average. Less than 1,000 per game.

I feel (a little bit) for St. Joe's. They were averaging in the mid 3k's for home games before the coach change. They seem have pretty much destroyed that program and the fandom with that move.
Fordhams arena only seats 2-3 K and the NYC government of NYC wasn't interested in them having fans in the stands.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
I noticed that nobody seemed to mention having Midnight madness be the starting point for getting people excited for the upcoming season. What time is mason holding it these days? Is there tailgating before it? ....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I noticed that nobody seemed to mention having Midnight madness be the starting point for getting people excited for the upcoming season. What time is mason holding it these days? Is there tailgating before it? ....
There is this thing out on the interwebz called Google that gets you a plethora of info. I'd highly recommend you check it out and maybe you'll get the answer.

You can access it on an internet browser like Netscape.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
There is this thing out on the interwebz called Google that gets you a plethora of info. I'd highly recommend you check it out and maybe you'll get the answer.

You can access it on an internet browser like Netscape.
So should I keep my MySpace and AOL accounts? I still get tired of having to dial up but then no one can call me on my landline. Help please!!!!! I keep checking my e-machine for this internet "web" thing but I can't find any web, just a bunch of dust.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Back to attendance. We usually open the season mid week. Homecoming should be the first Saturday of the season. 4PM. Tailgate. Blow out a Sister Treasa's School for the Blind type of opponent and build on it.

Masonfan3

Starter

And only 5,000 against a Charles Jenkins led Hofstra team. Will never forget sitting next to Mrs. OCM at that game and her complaining about the lack of support for an important conference game. It really is hit or miss with our home games.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

It took winning 16 in a row, and a top 25 ranking to get that. And on a weeknight nonetheless. If I recall, Fairfax was basically in gridlock.

After years of futility, I would think we wouldn't need 16 wins in a row to get that type of attendance. Win 6 or 7 in a row against real opponents and you'd probably draw pretty damn close.

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
Really intrigued by the idea of an early HC, especially since Midnight Madness has sucked for a long time.

But then, I'm also ntrigued by the idea of a new
Arby's by my house, to give you a baseline of what generally intrigues me
It didn't used to and it doesn't have to. Imagine if there was tailgating beforehand and a parade with the band around patriots circle so everybody living on campus would be aware of an entertaining thing to do that night. I remember my first experience with midnight madness and the fun it was. I also remember when homecoming was for a non D1 football game.