PROVIDENCE UPDATE

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Its only showing Ryan Mela for 2024 who isn't ranked super well, but they have a kid for 2025 Erhunmwunse Owsin who is a top 50 kid from Putnam Science. Mela had a lot of mid major offers and then Providence swooped in. They must feel like he was under recruited.

Doesn't help him for next year though. He will need portal help.

Correct; next year is what I was referring to. For reference, it's the third-worst class in the Big East ... only above DePaul and Butler.

Not bagging on Kim, I'm just emphasizing the importance of him nailing the portal. Dug McDaniel type players.

That is what I am waiting for with Kim, there's no more of the "last job guy coming with me" for him, so now he can prove what he can do. I think he will adjust better to the Big East this year but we'll see of course. I thought he turned the corner in the A10 as a coach halfway through year 2. Long way to go before next season though since their season just ended.

I think he did a good job this year considering what he had etc, but like @EXpatriot13 said, he will have to do well because he can't go 0/2 with regards to the NCAA tournament.

Also will be interesting to see if any of his expected core returners will hit the portal.
The big question is making sure Hopkins returns and hoping hes at full potential. Josh and Ticket are obviously gone, and Carter is getting first round mock ratings now by scouts, so he's gone (probably a big reason he didn't play last night) KE is gonna desperately need a 2 and a 5 out of the portal for next year, especially the 5 until Oswin comes in for them

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Correct; next year is what I was referring to. For reference, it's the third-worst class in the Big East ... only above DePaul and Butler.

Not bagging on Kim, I'm just emphasizing the importance of him nailing the portal. Dug McDaniel type players.
Don't forget that Justyn Fernandez is returning from injury, so that's like adding a one-time 4-star player to the rotation that isn't factored into recruiting.

*edited ranking for accuracy

Last edited:

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't forget that Justyn Fernandez is returning from injury, so that's like adding a one-time 5-star player to the rotation that isn't factored into recruiting.

Yeah, didn't forget about him. Will be interesting to see how he recovers from the knee surgery. His explosiveness definitely showed potential.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Players like Oduro, Ticket, and Barron wouldn't have gotten us there. The A10 is a guard league. Both of Kim's Mason teams needed another elite guard to put them over the top. It doesn't matter if we had all the weapons in the world at the 3-5 spots.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know many on here like to hate Kim, but, in light of all the controversy surrounding SBU telling the NIT they wouldn't accept an NIT bid before they were even offered, and the fact that several Big East teams turned down the NIT, presumably, because it is beneath them (or due to impending transfers), I think you have to give Kim a little credit for giving Josh and Ticket a chance to play in the post season even though he knew he was keeping their best player out (Carter) and another starter was injured as well (Barron).

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know many on here like to hate Kim, but, in light of all the controversy surrounding SBU telling the NIT they wouldn't accept an NIT bid before they were even offered, and the fact that several Big East teams turned down the NIT, presumably, because it is beneath them (or due to impending transfers), I think you have to give Kim a little credit for giving Josh and Ticket a chance to play in the post season even though he knew he was keeping their best player out (Carter) and another starter was injured as well (Barron).
Down 5, Ticket misses a 3, BC gets the rebound with 15 seconds to go (again, PC is down 5 points), and KE is already walking to shake hands lol.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Down 5, Ticket misses a 3, BC gets the rebound with 15 seconds to go (again, PC is down 5 points), and KE is already walking to shake hands lol.
I was surprised they didn't do the fouling thing, but, pleasantly so. No need to prolong the agony since the game was over as nothing was going right for them. You can spin it to be a negative if you like. He knew going in that doing much of anything in the NIT was a long shot given who he had ready to play. I don't see how he would gain anything personally by doing it unless he had some sort of contract clause for a bonus just for making it to the NIT. It isn't like the PC fans were extremely excited about going to the NIT.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I was surprised they didn't do the fouling thing, but, pleasantly so. No need to prolong the agony since the game was over as nothing was going right for them. You can spin it to be a negative if you like. He knew going in that doing much of anything in the NIT was a long shot given who he had ready to play. I don't see how he would gain anything personally by doing it unless he had some sort of contract clause for a bonus just for making it to the NIT. It isn't like the PC fans were extremely excited about going to the NIT.
I understand the circumstances, I’ve just never seen that before.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, saw that. He didn't care. Still miffed about the NCAAT. Shows a lot about his character and lack of concern for the guys who DID play. A LOT can happen in 15 seconds. Just ask Duke about Carolina in '74.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They really were never offered an NIT spot...

They weren’t offered an NIT spot before telling the NcAA they couldn’t play.

I find it hard to believe they’d pass over Bonaventure for St. Joes, unless it really was just the shine of beating a mediocre Villanova team that didn’t win a single game in the Big 6…

Honestly if we didn’t go 0-2 against St. Joes I’d be a little pissed they didn’t offer us. Our resumes are almost identical.

OP
M

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, saw that. He didn't care. Still miffed about the NCAAT. Shows a lot about his character and lack of concern for the guys who DID play. A LOT can happen in 15 seconds. Just ask Duke about Carolina in '74.
Lol yeah because Kim is the first coach to ever not foul and extend the game with 15 seconds to go. I can't believe he didn't think about some game he wasn't even alive for.