Paul Hewitt has officially been let go.

KAOriginal

All-American
Years one and two panned out under the scenario TOC sold Hewitt. It was when he had to coach his own players (no L holdovers) that his faults began to show. Moving to the A10 only exacerbated the problem.

I would like to remind everyone that in year 2, 5 of the 22 wins on the record came in the CBI, THAT WE CHOSE TO PAY TO PLAY. Take that out and it is an uneventful 18 win season with #18 at the CAA tourney. Which only makes the downfall look worse for Hewitt.

While I enjoyed that time, then and now Im not patting anyone on the back that that was a "good" season.

polepino

Starter
By all accounts Hewitt was going to take a few years off, maybe do some broadcasting and take an extended vacation. I think TOC talked him out of his plan by throwing some significant dollars his way and likely helping Hewitt think the CAA was a cakewalk compared to the ACC and he would be inheriting a loaded team. Years one and two panned out under the scenario TOC sold Hewitt. It was when he had to coach his own players (no L holdovers) that his faults began to show. Moving to the A10 only exacerbated the problem.

The humanistic part of me kind of feels bad for Hewitt the man. I mean we've all been bashing and mocking his tenure but damn, to have his tenure end like this as all the crap piled up, you can only imagine what he and his family are going through. Embarrassment and frustration is all I can think of. Honestly, it appears he SHOULD have taken that break and coming to GMU was fools gold. Sometimes you think the best thing to do after something goes wrong is to jump back in there and try to do right what you've been doing wrong. In other cases its best just to take a break and get your head clear. At this point, I'm sure Hewitt will be taking that break for at least a couple of years now .

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The humanistic part of me kind of feels bad for Hewitt the man. I mean we've all been bashing and mocking his tenure but damn, to have his tenure end like this as all the crap piled up, you can only imagine what he and his family are going through. Embarrassment and frustration is all I can think of. Honestly, it appears he SHOULD have taken that break and coming to GMU was fools gold. Sometimes you think the best thing to do after something goes wrong is to jump back in there and try to do right what you've been doing wrong. In other cases its best just to take a break and get your head clear. At this point, I'm sure Hewitt will be taking that break for at least a couple of years now .
Hard to have sympathy for a guy raking in over a million a year for performing below par or doing nothing . He will be doing ok cashing those checks as he walks around the house in his boxers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polepino

Starter
Hard to have sympathy for a guy raking in over a million a year for performing below par or doing nothing . He will be doing ok cashing those checks as he walks around the house in his boxers.

Oh he'll be fine im sure but there is a certain element of that thing called pride everyone has. I don't think anyone would be feeling good if they had a job to do and were just plain getting bad results over and over while everyone was watching you and starting to talk all kinds of smack.

CLP

Preferred Walk-On
I think he'd get picked up as a broadcaster/commentator pretty quickly if he wanted to.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I think he'd get picked up as a broadcaster/commentator pretty quickly if he wanted to.

Please tell me I understand wrong: If he gets another job we don't have to give him the buyout. So, unless CBS pays him more than $650,000 he's actually losing money by working.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Oh he'll be fine im sure but there is a certain element of that thing called pride everyone has. I don't think anyone would be feeling good if they had a job to do and were just plain getting bad results over and over while everyone was watching you and starting to talk all kinds of smack.

Devil's Advocate: $7.2 million > pride.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Am I a racist if this irks me a bit as a donor and season ticket-holder? This makes me feel like Hewitt came here to clean up his academic record with student athletes that he got in trouble for while at Georgia Tech.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03...ssion-always-educating-black-athlete-winning/

I don't know about that - but the line "Hewitt deserves to go to a place with more of an upside than GMU so he can get better recruits" did make me laugh. He's been there and done that. His better recruits were beaten by better coaches.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Am I a racist if this irks me a bit as a donor and season ticket-holder? This makes me feel like Hewitt came here to clean up his academic record with student athletes that he got in trouble for while at Georgia Tech.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2015/03...ssion-always-educating-black-athlete-winning/

Yeah, I saw that earlier. I stopped caring after this line:

But sometimes it has to be more than about winning. Sometimes it has to be about providing young men the kind of conscious leadership that will help shape their lives.

Pretty generous statement at $600K a year of somebody else's money.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I'd let it go, man. The one thing we can be thankful for Hewitt is he didn't destroy the program so badly that we are getting hit with APR postseason bans and a mass exodus of players. All the fundamentals are in place for the next coach to come in and succeed quickly.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I don't know about that - but the line "Hewitt deserves to go to a place with more of an upside than GMU so he can get better recruits" did make me laugh. He's been there and don that. His better recruits were beaten by better coaches.

The recruits were good (minus a few), but I didn't see them as light years better than recruits in years past.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As if there aren't African-American coaches that we could bring in and both win and graduate players...We're probably already looking at a potential 2-3 guys who fit that mold.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The only people who use that "it's about more than winning" line are f*cking losers, plain and simple.

When you're making $750K/year as a Division I coach, it is almost entirely about winning. You can be a dick to your players, the fans and probably even your bosses, but if you win big enough, everyone will let it slide and kiss your a**.

All the other character-building stuff is fine and dandy. It's still ultimately up to the players to pursue their education and get something out of the college experience.

If you don't want to be judged by wins and losses, go to Division III.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The only people who use that "it's about more than winning" line are f*cking losers, plain and simple.

When you're making $750K/year as a Division I coach, it is almost entirely about winning. You can be a dick to your players, the fans and probably even your bosses, but if you win big enough, everyone will let it slide and kiss your a**.

All the other character-building stuff is fine and dandy. It's still ultimately up to the players to pursue their education and get something out of the college experience.

If you don't want to be judged by wins and losses, go to Division III.
Well said. I am so tired hearing how winning doesn't matter. We are turning into effing Europe.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Calipari had Final Fours vacated at UMass and Memphis for being shady. Kentucky is going to pay him a base of $8 million a year plus bonuses.

Tell me again that winning doesn't matter as much as those other things.