Patriot Club Fundraising Initiative

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Unless things have changed, there were 3 and 6 game mini plans as well that people could take advantage of that is rarely advertised.

With the conf. switch this year, a 10 game plan was offered as well.

Patriotfan49

Starter
I agree they don't market it all that well. With that said, I'm not sure what the best way they could market it. I've gotten postcards and emails about it. I think I got information when I graduated (both times) and I see it all over the ticket page. I'm not a marketing person by any stretch but I have seen some things with it. Maybe they need to push it on Social Media a bit more?

With that being said on the social media front, I think the university is doing a great job pushing the A-10 tournament in Brooklyn. I'm seeing constant promotion about it on Facebook and Twitter.

Its a hard thing to work with. With student attendance not being too strong you have a limited base to work with to start, then you add in out of state students that move back home. While emails/ticket site and some postcards are all and good, that will only net people who are either already going or going to purchase tickets anyway. We need to cast a broader net in getting those that arent thinking about tickets until they hear about them, are on the fence or local folks that like college bball.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Its a hard thing to work with. With student attendance not being too strong you have a limited base to work with to start, then you add in out of state students that move back home. While emails/ticket site and some postcards are all and good, that will only net people who are either already going or going to purchase tickets anyway. We need to cast a broader net in getting those that arent thinking about tickets until they hear about them, are on the fence or local folks that like college bball.

Yeah I hear you and agree. That's where I think social media can really help. Just like the campaign for Brooklyn, there should be a campaign at the start of next season (or for season tickets in the summer) all over everyone's Facebook and Twitter for those who may follow a GMU related page/twitter handle. Someone who can go "Oh, thats a good idea, I want to see what its all about" and hopefully be interested to buy tickets, etc.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

It's a hard thing to assess how this can be accomplished.

One thing to do is what they do at amusement parks and zoos, announce the crap out of the packages at the games, before the games, at will call, at the walk up windows, posted on Flyers and posters all over the concessions etc and have tables set up specifically to sign people up on the way in and out.

I was at Zoo Miami last week and everywhere we stopped, "are you a Zoo Miami member?" Was asked and they told us all the benefits of membership -- at the gift shops, on the monorail, at all the concession stands etc. And you know what it worked, two new members in our way out.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
We need to cast a broader net in getting those that arent thinking about tickets until they hear about them, are on the fence or local folks that like college bball.

More than 20 years ago when our oldest daughter was a freshman at Mason, my wife and I received an offer for a discounted 6-game plan for the parents of Mason students. We purchased the 6-game plan that season, and became full season ticket holders the next season.

Haxormax

Starter
I've gone to 4 away games.. about to be 5-6-7 in a few weeks. I've given enough to a program that won't give back

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023

I went to the Masters a few years ago and saw Vern Lundquist hanging out at the media area. I approached him and told him I went to Mason and loved his call of our win over UConn.

I thought he would dismiss it as just one of many games he had called over the past several decades, but he said it was one of the best games — and one of his favorites — that he had ever called in his illustrious career. In fact, in his Wikepedia write-up, we are still listed under his "Memorable Calls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne_Lundquist

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
More than 20 years ago when our oldest daughter was a freshman at Mason, my wife and I received an offer for a discounted 6-game plan for the parents of Mason students. We purchased the 6-game plan that season, and became full season ticket holders the next season.
I had a similar situation. I had been meaning to attend games ever since I graduated, but had just never gotten around to it. My wife ended up winning a 6-game plan in a silent auction. I have not missed a home game or post season tournament game since then.

Related to that, I am kind of an all in kind of person. When I do something, I like to do it all the way. You can see when I started attending games I did not stop. I am guessing that maybe you are similar in a way since once you started, you have not stopped going either.

On the flip side, once I stop being committed to something, it tends to go away completely pretty quickly. For example, I used to drag race in a league and many weeks was racing 3 days a week. I used to leave vacations early to ensure I never missed a race. In the off season one year, I decided that I would slow things down, not join the points and only go when I felt like it. I went one time after that and have never been back. I did not stop intentionally, but once I allowed myself the option of not doing it, I never found the time to do it again.

Related to Mason, at this moment, I don't plan on going to Brooklyn, maybe I'll change my mind at the last minute.... I have serious concerns about renewing my season tickets and donating to the Patriot Club without knowing some concrete plans/expectations regarding Hewitt and a fourth year. My fear is this, once I miss a post season tournament game or home game, maybe I lose what has been driving me to make sure I go to them all.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I went to the Masters a few years ago and saw Vern Lundquist hanging out at the media area. I approached him and told him I went to Mason and loved his call of our win over UConn.

I thought he would dismiss it as just one of many games he had called over the past several decades, but he said it was one of the best games — and one of his favorites — that he had ever called in his illustrious career. In fact, in his Wikepedia write-up, we are still listed under his "Memorable Calls."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verne_Lundquist

It was a fantastic game, especially after UConn's players woke up and realized this no-name school could actually beat them.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I had a similar situation. I had been meaning to attend games ever since I graduated, but had just never gotten around to it. My wife ended up winning a 6-game plan in a silent auction. I have not missed a home game or post season tournament game since then.

Related to that, I am kind of an all in kind of person. When I do something, I like to do it all the way. You can see when I started attending games I did not stop. I am guessing that maybe you are similar in a way since once you started, you have not stopped going either.

Brian,

We are definitely similar. But, I believe that it will be easier for me to give up Mason basketball than it will be for you and other Mason alums.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This post so utterly completely explains the breakneck pace Brian drove at to get to the NIT game at PSU several years ago.

He'll be driving that same way to all of the women's games next year. My money is on Brian abandoning the men's team next year and going all in on the Lady Patriots. :kiss:

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

On the flip side, once I stop being committed to something, it tends to go away completely pretty quickly. For example, I used to drag race in a league and many weeks was racing 3 days a week. I used to leave vacations early to ensure I never missed a race. In the off season one year, I decided that I would slow things down, not join the points and only go when I felt like it. I went one time after that and have never been back. I did not stop intentionally, but once I allowed myself the option of not doing it, I never found the time to do it again.

Related to Mason, at this moment, I don't plan on going to Brooklyn, maybe I'll change my mind at the last minute.... I have serious concerns about renewing my season tickets and donating to the Patriot Club without knowing some concrete plans/expectations regarding Hewitt and a fourth year. My fear is this, once I miss a post season tournament game or home game, maybe I lose what has been driving me to make sure I go to them all.

Brian, when Mason loses you as a fan, it's game over.

While I know there are many others who also support the program, TOC and Cabrera should be paying close attention to the serious concerns our most devoted fans have about the direction of our program.

It's not about the potential for lost donations, although that is a consideration. It's about doing everything you can to give your loyal customers a product they can be proud to support with their time and money.

If our leaders ignore that most basic tenet of operating a business, they'll get what they deserve -- but it will be the program that suffers most.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He'll be driving that same way to all of the women's games next year. My money is on Brian abandoning the men's team next year and going all in on the Lady Patriots. :kiss:
I did make it to all but three of their home games this year.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I did make it to all but three of their home games this year.

I know, you and XTSG are becoming their biggest fans. For the record, as impressive as your driving was alleged to have been going to the PSU game, I still think making it from the Delaware road game to my house in under two hours was your most impressive feat.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For the record, as impressive as your driving was alleged to have been going to the PSU game, I still think making it from the Delaware road game to my house in under two hours was your most impressive feat.

Ahhhh, the good old days before that monster ticket driving to a nascar race at NH. I think i was clocked going faster than the average speed for the winner of the race that day.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ahhhh, the good old days before that monster ticket driving to a nascar race at NH. I think i was clocked going faster than the average speed for the winner of the race that day.

Making it to Duke in just under 4 hours on a Friday night was another remarkable feat. I remember you calling me after you landed the tickets that afternoon, hitting the road a few hours later and pulling into the hotel at midnight. Game started at noon Saturday and we were back home around 6 that night. Good times.