Otis (edit) - shot at rookie of the year?

GMUSig03

All-Conference
While Browsing the A10 statistics, there are 3 freshmen whose names stand out - Grayer (leading scorer among Freshmen at 12.01), McElvene from Dayton (leading rebounder among freshmen at 7.9 and FG% at .639 and Blocks at 1.9), and Chartouney from Fordham (leading in assists among freshmen at 5.1 and steals at 2.1). I would also expect that Otis amongst leaders in scoring and assists.

Looks like Grayer will have a shot at rookie of the year, should be a lock for the all rookie team and Otis will also have a shot at all rookie.

By George.

Starter
Our team will go as far as Grayer will take us. It sucks because when he struggles, Mason struggles. Without him creating shots we don't have another player versatile enough to have a strong game both outside and inside the paint. MM can get to the bucket very well, PH and Otis can shoot pretty well from the perimeter but these players don't provide a dual threat like Grayer. If Boogie is knocking down outside shots, it opens the paint for the rest of the team. If he is driving to the bucket, it opens up looks for our other shooters. He reminds me of a young Sherrod Wright who before Hewitt came was the player I was most excited for.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Because our 2-stage history is rather clear on this board.

Freshman has a couple good games, gets over-hyped as the second coming of George Evans.

Doesn't keep a consistent arc and fails to make consecutive POY's and gets butchered for not living up to overblown expectations.

See Exhibit A - Patrick Holloway
or Exhibit B - Marco Gujanacic
or Exhibit C - Marquise Moore
or Exhibit D - Jalen Jenkins

Grayer looks like a solid addition to the recruiting class. He's also got a leg up by not having to play behind the typical rotation of upperclassmen. Let's just enjoy the results.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
And none of that has anything to do with speculating about Grayer/Otis's shots at making the all ROOKIE team, now that nearly 1/3 of the season is over...

But let's go ahead and get the discussion going about Grayer's shot at all time leading scorer, and Otis' shot at all time leader in assists and minutes played, just for you!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
.......is that actually his nickname, or did you just make that up?

"At the player meet and greet, he mentioned that he goes by Boogie."
G M U, Yesterday at 12:13 PM

Jaire Grayer (UD) Retweeted
Brittney Grayer ‏@MsFliBritGrayer Nov 20
Yeeeeeaaaaaa BOOGIE @JDG_TheGreatest that's what I'm talking about..........proud of you. Now let's put that work in Sunday
1f61d.png
#GrayerStyle

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
And none of that has anything to do with speculating about Grayer/Otis's shots at making the all ROOKIE team, now that nearly 1/3 of the season is over...

But let's go ahead and get the discussion going about Grayer's shot at all time leading scorer, and Otis' shot at all time leader in assists and minutes played, just for you!

That whooshing sound you heard go over your head was the point.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That whooshing sound you heard go over your head was the point.

Well, to your point..no one was predicting multiple POY honors, that was the straw man you built up that you could knock down. However, after almost a third of the season I think it's safe to bring up a potential ROY award for a player who is averaging 12.1 points per game and already has two 20 point games under his belt.

The last freshman to exhibit this kind of scoring talent this quickly was Isaiah Jackson and he averaged 8.7 points per game last year.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Like the middle-aged man at the pick-up game with the giant pot belly who is surprisingly light on his feet?

Well I was never really good at hoops. I'm the guy at the gym who looks like he's in great shape so I get picked first, but when they see me play, the regret sets in fast.

Its kind of fun to watch as the disappointment on their faces progress throughout the game. I never get picked again so I spend the rest of my time chatting with the Asian ladies complaining about the high price of magic markers these days and exchange recipes for various insect soups.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
“Just the opportunity to be able to showcase myself,” Grayer explained. “My goal for this year was to get (Atlantic 10) Freshman of the Year. Be Freshman of the Year...”

Ughh. looks like Jaire traveled to the future before the season started, read this thread and got a huge head. Now dude is walking around thinking he doesn't even need to bring his notebook to team meetings. Sorry guys.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The game isn’t too far off from Dad’s when Dad was a 6-5 freshman with the Cyclones; in 1984-85, Jeff Grayer averaged 12.2 points and 6.5 boards in the old Big Eight, where he quickly established himself as one of the best finishers in the league.

'He was kind of a little bit more explosive (at that age),' Jaire said. 'But I’m trying to get there.'

If anything, the younger Grayer might have a more confident shooting form as a freshman than pops.

And for that, give Mom the biggest assist.

'She actually taught me how to shoot when I was younger,' Jaire recalled. 'Probably (when I was) 5 or 6, we would go to the YMCA for get some shots up.'

'She told me, "Always aim to get it over the front of the rim and always keep my arm up and my guide hand up.’”

Mother knows best. Better stroke: Mom or Dad?

'My mom,' Grayer said. Then he laughed. '(Dad) would probably say so, too.'”