OT: Someone Get GMUBrian a drink and put him on suicide watch......

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Chevy considers axing the Camaro to fund development of electric sedan.

The Chevrolet Camaro, plagued by slow sales figures compared to the rivaled Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, could be axed for good by the General Motors-parented company. New reports suggest that Chevy could do away with the Camaro once and for all. Its replacement could be an all-electric sedan, aligning with GM’s plan to introduce more electrified models in the coming years.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm trying to figure out how to give a big thumbs up to this thread title. Nice PiKap

And I think the author of the article misspelled the word "unrivaled" just before the word Mustang.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Fact is, old farts are dying off or not needing their "modern" muscle cars in the nursing home. If you have the least appealing car in a shrinking market, you need to exit the market. The Dodge Challenger is 14 years old without many (any?) styling changes, but still finds buyers because they got it right.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think I have figured out how to turn this big bag of f-ing Lemons into Lemonade. "Honey, I am so depressed about GM possibly canceling the Camaro that I should go get a new one to cheer me up.....But, that might be depressing to see every day, so I should probably go get a new Corvette as well..."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fact is, old farts are dying off or not needing their "modern" muscle cars in the nursing home. If you have the least appealing car in a shrinking market, you need to exit the market. The Dodge Challenger is 14 years old without many (any?) styling changes, but still finds buyers because they got it right.

Camaros were outselling Challengers up until Camaro sales took a nosedive after 2018. The Mustang is still king.

Although for the yoots, I hear nothing but talk of wanting a Tesla. The Tesla seems to be the status car for the kids these days.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Camaros were outselling Challengers up until Camaro sales took a nosedive after 2018. The Mustang is still king.

Although for the yoots, I hear nothing but talk of wanting a Tesla. The Tesla seems to be the status car for the kids these days.
I feel a little bit like Adam Sandler in Billy Madison when he shows back up to high school with a Smokey and the Bandit vintage Trans Am.

View: https://youtu.be/2ZjviMmXIY8

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Fact of the matter is that gasoline engines, especially naturally aspirated V8s, are becoming "overcome by events" (as they say in the government). You can get more power out of a smaller engine because, at long last, car companies were forced to engineer cars to account for fuel economy and longevity. You can also blame technological advances...electric car capabilities are going up, and more people want them. I drove the Mustang Mach-E a couple weeks ago and, while it broke my heart to get into a Mustang that was shaped like a crossover, it was THE FASTEST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. It was brutally fast.

Electric cars are the way of the future. As the grid gets greener it's going to make more sense to own one. Teslas, Chevy Volts, Nissan Leafs etc. are huge out here in Hawaii because you can run your house on solar and charge your car and never have to worry about it.

Over time most people will want electric cars and so car companies will make electric cars. People like me who love owning a 12mpg V8 will keep them as hobbies but while my '94 Mustang GT is an awesome car that I love, it's not practical at all and the milage is so bad that it basically requires me to have a second car. I put in an order for the new Ford Maverick, actually, and am excited to have a truck that gets 40mpg and fits into a regular parking space.

I'm going to keep my Mustang forever since I put so much time and effort into keeping it on the road, but it's basically a novelty at this point and a hobby for me. I suspect more car enthusiasts will reach that realization as time goes on.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Fact of the matter is that gasoline engines, especially naturally aspirated V8s, are becoming "overcome by events" (as they say in the government). You can get more power out of a smaller engine because, at long last, car companies were forced to engineer cars to account for fuel economy and longevity. You can also blame technological advances...electric car capabilities are going up, and more people want them. I drove the Mustang Mach-E a couple weeks ago and, while it broke my heart to get into a Mustang that was shaped like a crossover, it was THE FASTEST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. It was brutally fast.

Electric cars are the way of the future. As the grid gets greener it's going to make more sense to own one. Teslas, Chevy Volts, Nissan Leafs etc. are huge out here in Hawaii because you can run your house on solar and charge your car and never have to worry about it.

Over time most people will want electric cars and so car companies will make electric cars. People like me who love owning a 12mpg V8 will keep them as hobbies but while my '94 Mustang GT is an awesome car that I love, it's not practical at all and the milage is so bad that it basically requires me to have a second car. I put in an order for the new Ford Maverick, actually, and am excited to have a truck that gets 40mpg and fits into a regular parking space.

I'm going to keep my Mustang forever since I put so much time and effort into keeping it on the road, but it's basically a novelty at this point and a hobby for me. I suspect more car enthusiasts will reach that realization as time goes on.

Yeah, check out Mazda's next gen SkyActiv-X engines. Super efficient and doesn't really give up any power by being so.

I'm already planning on buying either an EV or plug-in HEV for my next car. Just makes sense at this point.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah, check out Mazda's next gen SkyActiv-X engines. Super efficient and doesn't really give up any power by being so.

I'm already planning on buying either an EV or plug-in HEV for my next car. Just makes sense at this point.

I was literally shocked at how fast the Mach-E was. Like if all electric cars are going to be instant-torque machines that go 0-60 in under 5 seconds then your average driver on the road is going to have a rude awakening.

The average cost of a used electric car is 40k, 10k more than a gas vehicle. Until that corrects itself, you've got a long way to go til gas-powered vehicles go. Shit the MACH-E itself is being marked up 10-15k over MSRP--have fun with that. Range sucks too, especially in comparison to a hybrid...though it's improving.

But, essentially you are correct, though it will take more time than people think. I just sold a 2008 Shelby Cobra (for more than I bought it for four years ago, though) for many of reasons you mention...didn't drive it enough, stick in NOVA traffic, still needed another car, etc. Loved it, sad to see it go!!

The M3 I ordered, will make me feel fine in short order, however. 0-60 3.4 seconds and though not electric, will hold up just fine...

I do like the Lexus IS500 coming out as one of the last naturally aspirated V8s, too. Sounds amazing and will for at least a century be a sentimental sound for many to want/buy...

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The average cost of a new ev is 55k btw...long way to go before large segments of the population have 60k worth of solar panels on their house and charge them....long way to go.

It's coming either way. My perspective is probably off too since solar has been very popular in Hawaii for a lot longer than on the mainland thanks to the climate. It's also cheaper here too since you don't need as many panels. The minute we move out of our townhouse and into a single family I'm gonna get some...I'd rather pay financing on my own electricity than paying the electric company every month.

Sucks you had to sell your Shelby...I feel like if I had the opportunity to buy one I'd keep it forever. Then again for my sports cars I prefer finnicky beat up shitboxes that need lots of love and attention. What fun is it owning a car if you can't spend every weekend under it fixing something?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's coming either way. My perspective is probably off too since solar has been very popular in Hawaii for a lot longer than on the mainland thanks to the climate. It's also cheaper here too since you don't need as many panels. The minute we move out of our townhouse and into a single family I'm gonna get some...I'd rather pay financing on my own electricity than paying the electric company every month.

Sucks you had to sell your Shelby...I feel like if I had the opportunity to buy one I'd keep it forever. Then again for my sports cars I prefer finnicky beat up shitboxes that need lots of love and attention. What fun is it owning a car if you can't spend every weekend under it fixing something?
So Italian cars?

Yeah I was gonna ask...figured Hawaii had a little better mechanism to make that stuff happen faster.

Didn't have to sell, just small driveway with little land to work it, made sense. Sucks though. #Mustangsforever

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Yeah the kids these days want things that run like a freaking iPhone.

I am looking at a Corvette C8 - and have the exhaust tuned to piss of people when I drive in Arlington and crowding bicyclists back into the bicycle lane.

OP
Pikapppatri8

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was literally shocked at how fast the Mach-E was. Like if all electric cars are going to be instant-torque machines that go 0-60 in under 5 seconds then your average driver on the road is going to have a rude awakening.

Its range is disappointing