OT - RIP Brion Sumser

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Here is Brion's Obituary. Nice gesture for GMU to open the Green Room in his honor for the reception.

I am very happy to see the AD making this gesture because I was actually coming here to complain about that! I am a School of Music alum and three important music donors have passed in the last year or so ago, including both members of the couple the school of music is named after. Each time, the entire "Friends of Music" received an e-mail about the death and eulogizing the deceased. It struck me as I received on of those e-mails today that Brion was important enough to our athletic department that they need to publicly acknowledge his passing. The Patriot Club should receive an e-mail about this (or maybe you did, and my PC membership has lapsed? Not sure). Brion did A LOT for Mason' basketball and the rest of Mason Athletics and a public acknowledgment should be S.O.P.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I regret I never got to enjoy a meal at Brion's Grille or met Brion. Shot GMU hoops games since 2013 and I would get to EBA early and just head to the media room before the game. I know he was a great fan of GMU. I've enjoyed reading about him in this thread.

Side note: His brother Chas is a great photographer and I've worked alongside him at Potomac Falls HS when he comes to shoot sports there. Very nice guy.

RIP Brion and thank you for all you did for the George Mason community.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I am very happy to see the AD making this gesture because I was actually coming here to complain about that! I am a School of Music alum and three important music donors have passed in the last year or so ago, including both members of the couple the school of music is named after. Each time, the entire "Friends of Music" received an e-mail about the death and eulogizing the deceased. It struck me as I received on of those e-mails today that Brion was important enough to our athletic department that they need to publicly acknowledge his passing. The Patriot Club should receive an e-mail about this (or maybe you did, and my PC membership has lapsed? Not sure). Brion did A LOT for Mason' basketball and the rest of Mason Athletics and a public acknowledgment should be S.O.P.
Also a music alum and I agree completely with this

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
No disagreement from me. FWIW they did tweet about it and it was on Facebook. Although I'm guessing that doesn't hit the folks who don't have either social media platform. Not sure how much percentage that is but regardless they did do some public acknowledging.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
I first met Brion a few days after Brion's Grille opened. It was my first time there and it was well after the dinner rush. He came over and started talking to me and my friend. We were recent GMU athlete's/grads and I remember him asking how we liked the food, the beer, his place and then he went on to tell us what he hoped Brion's would be to GMU and the Community and talked up GMU athletics. From my vantage point, I think he exceeded those initial goals and dreams. I moved away shortly after but anytime I was in Fairfax or doing a pregame - I went to Brion's. My kids loved the place. His support of the university and fan base was amazing. I think many years ago for Homecoming, GMU had some crazy drinking (maybe no drinking) law, and Brion came to the rescue offering outdoor heaters and tents at Brions Grille so alumni could eat and drink! 66 is way too young and Brion and Brion's Grille will definitely be missed.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Brion was one of those people that truly helped make the Mason experience better. The restaurant was great and it gave us a place to hang before and after games. He was always welcoming and loved Mason. He will be missed.

As GMU_Polevaulter said, years ago when Mason wasn’t going to allow drinking at the tailgate, a group of us (posters from the original boards) approached him and asked if we could throw a tailgate in the parking lot. He was all in and basically saved the day. I remember him worrying that Mason would be pissed about it, but he knew it was the right thing for the fan base.

9428C2E2-61E9-4CEE-9E8D-5D989C727FB8.jpeg

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This thread will most likey end with this post and that is fine. I attended the service and reception at EBA today for Brion. Mason was well represented. In attendance, I'm sure I missed some were....... Doc Nix, Greg Kennedy, Jay Marsh, Bill Brown, Chris Caputo (classy on his part), Andy Ruge (Nice gesture on his part), many former Brion's employees (Doug, Sydney, Gar, LB, Bryan, Terry, Carlos, John, Sam, Maddie, Meghan, Rose, Sam, John), and too many others to remember. The church was packed and the ceremony was fitting. Thank you Brion for everything that you did for GMU and the community in your 30+ years in business. You will not be forgotten. Talking with @CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY was the highlight of the day. Still sore from the Mason experience he found his way to the funeral and reception with several Thai hookers at his side ;). Humor and sarcasm for those who don't get it.

Last edited:
I think you're confusing "several Thai hookers" with "Bill Rohland" but understandable mistake.

Very nice funeral/reception. I agree...very nice to see all the GW people attend. Props to them.

Brion will definitely be missed. Loved some of the stories I heard about him and loved Freebird leaving the church.

Brion/his family asked for donations to the Green Machine if anyone is so inclined, in his memory.

Mason til the end. RIP.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This thread will most likey end with this post and that is fine. I attended the service and reception at EBA today for Brion. Mason was well represented. In attendance, I'm sure I missed some were....... Doc Nix, Greg Kennedy, Jay Marsh, Bill Brown, Chris Caputo (classy on his part), Andy Ruge (Nice gesture on his part), many former Brion's employees (Doug, Sydney, Gar, LB, Bryan, Terry, Carlos, John, Sam, Maddie, Meghan, Rose, Sam, John), and too many others to remember. The church was packed and the ceremony was fitting. Thank you Brion for everything that you did for GMU and the community in your 30+ years in business. You will not be forgotten. Talking with @CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY was the highlight of the day. Still sore from the Mason experience he found his way to the funeral and reception with several Thai hookers at his side ;). Humor and sarcasm for those who don't get it.

Damn fine post you magnificent bastard.

jansmith

Recruit
I stumbled upon your post while searching for info about funerals and death. Sorry to hear about Brion Sumser's passing. It's always tough losing someone who positively impacted their community like he did. My condolences to his friends and loved ones.
Speaking of honoring loved ones, I recently came across butterfly blue granite. It's a beautiful material that can add a personal touch to memorials. Just thought I'd mention it in case it resonates with you for remembering Brion.
By the way, I'm new to this forum and wanted to contribute. Dealing with death in my own family lately, so these discussions have been helpful. Take care, and let's cherish the memories of those who've touched our lives.

Last edited: