OT - RIP Brion Sumser

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
For those of you who have not heard I am sorry to report that Brion Sumser has died. Brion played basketball for GMU and was a stalwart in the Mason and Fairfax communities for years as owner of Brion's Grill. He spent countless hours and tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of athletics and GMU over the years. He did pregame meals for teams and hosted the Green Room as well. The last year was not easy on him much to my dismay, he deserved better. He was always kind, friendly, and willing to help out. I was proud to count him among my friends.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Sucks to hear. Sam's Big Dipper will always go down to my go to. Fun times playing trivia there and drinking cheap draft beers. Great times with @Patriotsince81 before and after games celebrating or pounding beers to forget Dave Paulsen. He did a lot for the community and should have been commended. Condolences to the family for sure

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Terrible news.

I went to Brion's for years and unfortunately never got a chance to speak to Brion. As I became a season ticket holder, I was mostly socializing if I was at Brion's or seeing familiar faces if I was in town after I moved.

Needless to say, he was a fixture for the Mason community and Mason basketball for years. Brion's grille was "our place" that embraced Mason and Mason athletics especially for many many years.

It would be nice if athletics did something in commemoration of his efforts like an area named after him or something.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
He was one of ours and was a giving person. Anyone know what happened?

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Brion was really good to me even though, in truth, he hardly knew me. I lived a bit further away and was only there on game days but he recognized me as a regular and treated me like one. He gave me a bunch of free memorabilia when he heard that I was finishing my basement as a Mason-themed sports bar. Brion also was the best host possible to the Insiders group back in the Larañaga days. It's sad to hear the last 1-2 years were so hard on him. RIP, Brion.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Brion's Grille was where I met my first love in 1988—baby back ribs. The prime rib special was another favorite. I met Brion once not too long ago. The bar was dead and he bought me a beer. He was a little drunk, but he seemed like a good guy. Thanks for the beer and good grub.

He15man

Starter
Went to Brion's a number of times while still in school, and it was always a positive experience. Definitely was a staple in the Fairfax/GMU community. Sad to hear he passed. :(

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
For those of you who have not heard I am sorry to report that Brion Sumser has died. Brion played basketball for GMU and was a stalwart in the Mason and Fairfax communities for years as owner of Brion's Grill. He spent countless hours and tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars in support of athletics and GMU over the years. He did pregame meals for teams and hosted the Green Room as well. The last year was not easy on him much to my dismay, he deserved better. He was always kind, friendly, and willing to help out. I was proud to count him among my friends.

That's sad to hear and am sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like a life well-led, but gone too soon.

Last edited:

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's sad to hear and am sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like a life well-led, but gone too soon.
To echo what others have said about Brion, he was certainly generous to me. Called him one day out of the blue in 1995 or 96 and asked him if he'd be interested in sponsoring my industrial league baseball team.

Without hesitation, he said "sure" and the next day he handed me a $500 check. All the more impressive, he had no idea who I was. If only fundraising were that easy.

RIP Brion.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I was working on some family photo albums last night and I found a couple of pictures of the family eating at Brions and remember him talking to my oldest about the pictures on the wall (when he was just a kid) and how cool was that. We had been there several times but were not regulars - and yet he still talked to him and answered every inane question a 6 year old would ask.

Loved his food and the beer and loved his attitude and personality as the owner.

Fairfax is darker after his passing.