OT: NCAAT Discussion

Let's give Hewitt some of the credit for the graduation rate and minimal off-the-court problems during his tenure. I believe that this commitment is reflected in establishing and maintaining the Director of Player Development position.

I'd rather give credit to the academic support staff. I'm guessing they have just a tad more to do with keeping these guys on track to graduate than any DOPD does.

And on Hewitt's watch I believe we have (if my math and memory is correct) a total of at least 22 games missed due to suspension. Is that more than Coach L's entire tenure?

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And on Hewitt's watch I believe we have (if my math and memory is correct) a total of at least 22 games missed due to suspension. Is that more than Coach L's entire tenure?

This is such a ridiculous statement when at least 13 of those 22 games missed were originally Coach L's recruits: Cornelious (10) and Gray (3). Are you suggesting they wouldn't have committed the infractions they did if they weren't on "Hewitt's watch?"

Also, it's silly to compare total suspension days when it's so subjective. A lot of coaches would have have suspended Pearson and DJ longer for pillowgate and Skinn longer for his nut punch. On paper they go down as three total games, but they could have been be a lot more under a different coach.

(Edited for clarity.)

Last edited:

KAOriginal

All-American
There's actual real criticisms of Hewitt, but using total game suspensions, etc is a HUGE HUGE reach even for this anti-Hewitt fan....

This is such a ridiculous statement when at least 13 of those 22 games missed were originally Coach L's recruits: Cornelious (10) and Gray (3). Are you suggesting they wouldn't have committed the infractions they did if they weren't on "Hewitt's watch?"

Also, it's silly to compare total suspension days when it's so subjective. A lot of coaches would have have suspended Pearson and Morrison longer for pillowgate and Skinn longer for his nut punch. On paper they go down as three total games, but they could have been be a lot more under a different coach.

We'll never know if any of them would have happened under L. Gray got suspended hanging out with one of Hewitt's recruits...so if L is here, Copes isn't and Gray's career might be vastly different.

Many coaches wouldn't have suspended the players at all for "pillowgate" and made them just return the pillows and nothing more. Especially when the rumor was the hotel didn't even care when the team notified them of what happened. So I think it is ridiculous to think L didn't OVER react when it came to pillowgate.

No idea if DJ gets 10 games going into his senior season with L here. I'm just stating the facts. Doesn't matter who recruited the player, it happened on Hewitt's watch.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
We'll never know if any of them would have happened under L. Gray got suspended hanging out with one of Hewitt's recruits...so if L is here, Copes isn't and Gray's career might be vastly different.

Many coaches wouldn't have suspended the players at all for "pillowgate" and made them just return the pillows and nothing more. Especially when the rumor was the hotel didn't even care when the team notified them of what happened. So I think it is ridiculous to think L didn't OVER react when it came to pillowgate.

No idea if DJ gets 10 games going into his senior season with L here. I'm just stating the facts. Doesn't matter who recruited the player, it happened on Hewitt's watch.

First, to clarify what Tom wrote, it was Ryan Pearson and Andre Cornelius (not Mike Morrison) who were suspended for the GW game for "pillowgate". And, in response to Siegfried, suspending them was the right thing to do and I commend Larranaga for doing so (and I have no doubt that Hewitt would have done so also). Unfortunately, this evidently did not result in any apparent maturation on the part of Cornelius. So, blaming Hewitt for any subsequent criminal acts by Cornelius that occurred on his "watch" is nonsensical.

I never said if it was right or wrong to suspend them, I merely pointed out the hotel wasn't pressing charges for theft or anything of the sort.

Fine...take about Coach L's bad guys that Hewitt had to suspend and you still have about 10+ games of suspension from Hewitt guys in 3 years. Quite a bit I'd say.

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Fine...take about Coach L's bad guys that Hewitt had to suspend and you still have about 10+ games of suspension from Hewitt guys in 3 years. Quite a bit I'd say.

Copes was six of those and Okoloji was one. Who are the other 3 games?

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Copes has been suspended twice for a total of 9 games.

Thanks, Pablos. So it sounds like — aside from the one-time Okoloji incident — there has been one Hewitt recruit that has really been an issue. Hardly the program-wide issue A-Siegfried is implying there is.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I never said if it was right or wrong to suspend them, I merely pointed out the hotel wasn't pressing charges for theft or anything of the sort.

Of course, you said that it was wrong to suspend them when you stated the following:

"Many coaches wouldn't have suspended the players at all for "pillowgate" and made them just return the pillows and nothing more. Especially when the rumor was the hotel didn't even care when the team notified them of what happened. So I think it is ridiculous to think L didn't OVER react when it came to pillowgate."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Question: are you trying to say the players we have now are bad ambassadors of the program and that Hewitt has less control than L over his players off the court?

I don't think either L or Hewitt has done a poor job brining in good kids to represent the school. In fact I think the opposite is true.

Question: are you trying to say the players we have now are bad ambassadors of the program and that Hewitt has less control than L over his players off the court?

I don't think either L or Hewitt has done a poor job brining in good kids to represent the school. In fact I think the opposite is true.

Neither coach did anything in their time at Mason to embarrass the university. Neither coach is bringing in suspect players in my opinion. Pablo was giving credit to the Director of Player Development for the graduation rate and minimal off the court problems under Hewitt. I was merely pointing out the fact that in just 3 years he has lost 10 games due to suspension, which is more than Coach L had his entire tenure.

And that's taking away the 10 games by DJ and the 3 from Gray. It doesn't make him a bad coach. It doesn't make the players bad players. I was merely providing information to the situation. As I said in a prior post, I don't think the DOPD has much to do with their graduation rate. I'd give credit to academic support first and foremost.

Thanks, Pablos. So it sounds like — aside from the one-time Okoloji incident — there has been one Hewitt recruit that has really been an issue. Hardly the program-wide issue A-Siegfried is implying there is.

Please to point out where I have said "we have a program wide issue"?

So we've taken away the Gray suspension, because he was an L recruit that happened to get suspended after he had been in the program for a year under Hewitt. We don't count DJ...because...he's DJ. AO was a one off because...well...he's AO.

Frankly, I'd be ok if we all just it isn't anyone's fault because accountability these days just doesn't exist.

At least our guys don't go to bed starving.....

OP
gmutom

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Neither coach did anything in their time at Mason to embarrass the university. Neither coach is bringing in suspect players in my opinion.

This we agree on completely. Hewitt hasn't succeeded on the court at Mason like Coach L did, but I think we are very fortunate that both men hold their players accountable. For the most part they've both recruited really good kids, a few of which needed to be disciplined when they crossed the line.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't forget, Wright got in trouble for possesion of alcohol. Stay thirsty my friends.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Neither coach did anything in their time at Mason to embarrass the university. Neither coach is bringing in suspect players in my opinion. Pablo was giving credit to the Director of Player Development for the graduation rate and minimal off the court problems under Hewitt. I was merely pointing out the fact that in just 3 years he has lost 10 games due to suspension, which is more than Coach L had his entire tenure.

And that's taking away the 10 games by DJ and the 3 from Gray. It doesn't make him a bad coach. It doesn't make the players bad players. I was merely providing information to the situation. As I said in a prior post, I don't think the DOPD has much to do with their graduation rate. I'd give credit to academic support first and foremost.

Are we sure that's the case? In the article about Cam Longs suspension it says 5 separate players were suspended that season so that at least 6 games (5 for 2010 and 1 for 2006). I'm sure we can go back and find four other suspensions in L's tenure here.