OT: NCAAT Discussion

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Neither coach did anything in their time at Mason to embarrass the university. Neither coach is bringing in suspect players in my opinion. Pablo was giving credit to the Director of Player Development for the graduation rate and minimal off the court problems under Hewitt. I was merely pointing out the fact that in just 3 years he has lost 10 games due to suspension, which is more than Coach L had his entire tenure.

The following is what I actually wrote:

"Let's give Hewitt some of the credit for the graduation rate and minimal off-the-court problems during his tenure. I believe that this commitment is reflected in establishing and maintaining the Director of Player Development position."

Regarding suspensions during the Coach L era, I believe that the following players were suspended at least once and missed at least 1 game - exhibition, regular season, CIT, or NCAA tourney):

Jesse Young (2 regular season games)
Trent Wurtz (1 exhibition game & 2 regular season games)
Richard Tynes
Tony Skinn (1 NCAA tourney game)
John Vaughan
Ryan Pearson
Andre Cornelius
Mike Morrison (2 regular season games)
Cam Long (CIT)
Sherrod Wright

Additionally, there were 2 players who were academically ineligible during their sophomore academic years: Rob Sullivan (2001-02) and Lamar Butler (2002-03). Sullivan never played for the Patriots again; he transferred and played for schools below the D-I level. Butler was injured and officially missed the season as a medical redshirt.

There were also some players benched for the start of games for minor infractions.

Other than Siegfried, does anyone believe that Hewitt is responsible for Andre Cornelius committing a crime a couple of months after he was hired?

Last edited:

PDGL Hoops

Starter
Seeing Richard Tynes' name in the above post reminded me of how hot his sister was - I miss seeing her at games. You may carry on with this draining off season discussion now......

The following is what I actually wrote:

"Let's give Hewitt some of the credit for the graduation rate and minimal off-the-court problems during his tenure. I believe that this commitment is reflected in establishing and maintaining the Director of Player Development position."

Regarding suspensions during the Coach L era, I believe that the following players were suspended at least once and missed at least 1 game - exhibition, regular season, CIT, or NCAA tourney):

Jesse Young (2 regular season games)
Trent Wurtz (1 exhibition game & 2 regular season games)
Richard Tynes
Tony Skinn (1 NCAA tourney game)
John Vaughan
Ryan Pearson
Andre Cornelius
Mike Morrison (2 regular season games)
Cam Long (CIT)
Sherrod Wright

Additionally, there were 2 players who were academically ineligible during their sophomore academic years: Rob Sullivan (2001-02) and Lamar Butler (2002-03). Sullivan never played for the Patriots again; he transferred and played for schools below the D-I level. Butler was injured and officially missed the season as a medical redshirt.

There were also some players benched for the start of games for minor infractions.

Other than Siegfried, does anyone believe that Hewitt is responsible for Andre Cornelius committing a crime a couple of months after he was hired?

Holy smokes, now we are getting into Coach L benching players for minor infractions at the start of games?

As I said before...let's hold no one to blame for any action of any student athlete at any time. Seems to be the American way these days. I don't believe I ever said "it is Hewitt's fault DJ went out and stole a credit card". I merely said he received a 10 game suspension while Hewitt was the head coach. Is that incorrect or is a fact? There are others that seem to think because Gray was a Coach L recruit (despite never playing for him or being on campus at the same time) the suspension of Gray for 3 games his sophomore year should be attributed to L. Are you in that camp with them?

Sorry I got you all bent out of shape on this Pablo because I don't share your belief that a DOPD is some big deal on staff. I give credit where it is due. Our guys graduating from the program is squarely upon two groups: the players themselves and academic support. Unless the DOPD is sitting down and tutoring these guys individually (my guess...not a chance) other than the "hey man...make sure you get to class on time..." what exactly would the DOPD do to help them graduate?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
As I said before...let's hold no one to blame for any action of any student athlete at any time. Seems to be the American way these days. I don't believe I ever said "it is Hewitt's fault DJ went out and stole a credit card". I merely said he received a 10 game suspension while Hewitt was the head coach. Is that incorrect or is a fact? There are others that seem to think because Gray was a Coach L recruit (despite never playing for him or being on campus at the same time) the suspension of Gray for 3 games his sophomore year should be attributed to L. Are you in that camp with them?

I'm in the camp that the players you mentioned were responsible for their failure to fully comply with the student-athlete's standards of conduct, not the person who recruited them or was coaching them at the time of the misconduct.

Harry

Starter
Seeing Richard Tynes' name in the above post reminded me of how hot his sister was - I miss seeing her at games. You may carry on with this draining off season discussion now......
Gabe Norwood has a pretty hot sister who was on the Mason Dance Team.