OT - Duke's Coach K Retiring After Upcoming Season

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Greatest coach of all time. Mad respect for Duke and what he has done there. The Blue Devils remain a distant second as far as being my 2nd favorite team.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein

·
35m

Current Ages of ACC HCs:

Boeheim (76)
Coach K (74)
Leonard Hamilton (72)
Jim Larranaga (71)
Mike Brey (62)
Mike Young (58)
Steve Forbes (56)
Brad Brownell (52)
Hubert Davis (51)
Tony Bennett (51)
Chris Mack (51)
Kevin Keatts (48)
Jeff Capel (46)
Earl Grant (44)
Josh Pastner (43)

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"Jon Scheyer, who played under Krzyzewski from 2006 to 2010 and was a captain of the 2010 national championship team, has been named Krzyzewski’s successor and will be the program’s 20th head coach beginning with the 2022-23 season. One of the most respected assistant coaches in college basketball, Scheyer has spent eight years on Krzyzewski’s staff and was promoted to associate head coach in 2018."

"The 33-year-old Scheyer has been part of Duke’s two most recent national championships – as a player on the 2010 team and an assistant coach for the 2015 squad. He would be the first in NCAA Division I men’s basketball history to be named the head coach at his alma mater after winning national titles as both a player and assistant coach at that school. At 35 years of age when next season begins, the Chicago native would become the youngest men’s basketball head coach among power conference institutions.

Scheyer will join a fraternity of Coach K’s former Duke players or assistants that are now head coaches that includes Tommy Amaker (Harvard), Kenny Blakeney (Howard), Mike Brey (Notre Dame), Jeff Capel (Pittsburgh), Chris Collins (Northwestern), Johnny Dawkins (Central Florida), Bobby Hurley (Arizona State), Nate James (Austin Peay), Greg Paulus (Niagara), Mike Schrage (Elon) and Quin Snyder (NBA’s Utah Jazz). Nearly two dozen other former Coach K players, assistants and staffers are currently college basketball assistant coaches or serving in NBA front offices."

OP
GreenLantern

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Interesting that Coach K says the changing landscape of college basketball is the driving force of his retirement. Alot of old school coaches may be facing this including why Paulsen may not find much luck in coaching beyond Div 3.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Interesting that Coach K says the changing landscape of college basketball is the driving force of his retirement. Alot of old school coaches may be facing this including why Paulsen may not find much luck in coaching beyond Div 3.
Adapt or jump in the bread line. Or in the case of the guys who have profited to the tune of millions of dollars, the mid-tier caviar line.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

What changes are impacting him the most?

KAOriginal

All-American
My father is in his 70s too......LOVED his job....and did well.....but even he said....there's a time and place to where you don't want to do it anymore.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yes. Thank you. I lived in Wake Forest (the town) for a number of years...the epicenter of the ACC. NC State was 20 minutes away, UNC 30, and Duke 20.
K's secrets got plenty of publicity in the area. He is not a nice man.

What, exactly, did he whitewash?

I found the article rambling and could not focus long enough to figure out wtf the author was trying to get across.

I did find the student writer ripping part interesting. I've been in those Duke students' shoes here at Mason in fact...LOL. 'Cept the AD/coach at least just complained to my faculty advisor, didn't really rip me to my face...

So...maybe not a situation that unique to Duke and Coach K....

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
What, exactly, did he whitewash?

I found the article rambling and could not focus long enough to figure out wtf the author was trying to get across.

I did find the student writer ripping part interesting. I've been in those Duke students' shoes here at Mason in fact...LOL. 'Cept the AD/coach at least just complained to my faculty advisor, didn't really rip me to my face...

So...maybe not a situation that unique to Duke and Coach K....
I’ve rarely heard valid criticisms of K. I’m not going to pretend he was a saint, but he ran a damn good, clean program. Kinda like what a lot of folks on here get all worked about. Sometimes it’s just popular to rip on the best.