OT: COVID-19 Impacts During 2021-22 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Nothing looks goofier these days than the Big East standings — where DePaul is technically 0-2 in the league despite having a 9-1 record overall.

What?

It's the byproduct of the Big East's policy that requires schools to take a loss in the league standings if they are unable to play a game as scheduled because of COVID-19 issues in their program. If you listen to the Eye On College Basketball Podcast, you likely know I was in favor of this policy when it was first floated in the offseason, if only because it provided an incentive for coaches to encourage their teams to get vaccinated. Also: I assumed fully vaccinated teams would avoid shutdowns, which would mean only teams with too many unvaccinated players would be punished, and I was fine with teams like that being punished.

But I was wrong.

We are in a different place with this pandemic now. The Omicron variant is so contagious that teams that are 100% vaccinated — like Ohio State and Long Beach State, for instance — have missed games because of breakthrough cases. And I'm not sure how anybody could intelligently argue that it's sensible to punish teams that are 100% vaccinated for breakthrough cases that seem unavoidable. In other words, every conference with a forfeit policy on the books needs to revisit and reverse that policy, ASAP. I suspect, in time, they will.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"GREENSBORO, N.C. - The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Wednesday that it has modified its 2021-22 COVID-19 rescheduling policy.

The decision was unanimously supported by the league’s athletics directors as a result of the current rise in COVID cases and its impact on winter sport programs. If possible, games that cannot be played as scheduled will be rescheduled. If a game cannot be played and cannot be rescheduled, it will be considered a no contest.

For men’s and women’s basketball, a team must have a roster minimum of seven game available student-athletes and one countable coach to play a game. If a team does not have the requisite number of participants, and elects not to play, the game shall be a no contest. If a team has the requisite number of participants and does not participate, the game will be declared a forfeit. This policy shall be retroactive to any results beginning with the 2021 ACC winter sports schedule.

Finally, the ACC’s Medical Advisory Group continues to monitor and discuss the current circumstances and, if necessary, may make adjustments to the current protocols."

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For those that missed the link/joke, "No COVID in Knoxville" is semi-viral quote from the Vanderbilt Baseball Coach describing the UT crowd in Knoxville.
Also unbeknownst to most, the song "No COVID in Knoxville" was written by Marc Cohn — the same musician who penned and sang "Walking in Memphis."

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
For those that missed the link/joke, "No COVID in Knoxville" is semi-viral quote from the Vanderbilt Baseball Coach describing the UT crowd in Knoxville.

I assume @Walter picked up on it. Whether or not octogenarians who make inane comments on everything did, I couldn't give a F*ck less.
Feel better?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"The Pac-12 has established a minimum roster count with which a team is considered available to play a scheduled basketball game (“Minimum Roster”): at least seven (7) scholarship players and one (1) countable coach available to participate. Each institution shall provide a complete roster list to the Conference office prior to the conference season. If a team has fewer than the Minimum Roster available for a scheduled game, as confirmed by the institution’s medical representative, the impacted institution may elect to play the game with fewer than the Minimum Roster seven (7) scholarship players. Otherwise, upon review and approval by the Commissioner, the game may be rescheduled at a mutually agreeable date or declared a no contest."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
3h

A CDC change in guidelines could be coming “in a few weeks,” per source on the call, but it’s highly relevant and urgent b/c conferences follow NCAA protocol on quarantine—no change now could have significant impact on the College Football Playoff if vaxxed players test positive.

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
3h

Sources: NCAA held a call today w/ medical advisory panel and membership re: Omicron. At this stage there is no change in policy about quarantine length (10 days) for the vaccinated/boosted BUT there is hope the CDC guidelines will soon change. When it does, NCAA will follow suit

Matt Norlander
@MattNorlander
·
3h

College basketball’s most pressing issue has now jumped to college football, as most expected it would.

Quote Tweet

m2N_Dbim_normal.jpg

Ross Dellenger

@RossDellenger
· 3h

Because of a COVID outbreak, Texas A&M is unable to play in the Gator Bowl, sources tell @SINow. Aggies don’t have enough available players. Gator is searching for a replacement bowl team, sources say, but the only way that's possible is if another bowl is impacted.

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"A new College Football Playoff policy written this week in response to the surging omicron variant allows for a team to advance to the national championship -- and ultimately win it -- by its opponents having to forfeit, according to an updated set of COVID-19 policies the CFP released Wednesday.

The changes, which were made by the CFP's management committee during a videoconference Tuesday, also provide flexibility for the Jan. 10 national championship game in Indianapolis to be pushed back no later than Jan. 14.

If one team is able to play in the title game and the other can't because of COVID-19 -- and the game can't be rescheduled -- the team that can't play will forfeit and its opponent will be declared the national champion. If both teams can't play on the original or rescheduled date, the game will be declared a "no contest" and the CFP national championship will be vacated for this season.

The CFP is still expecting for all games to be played with no reduction in attendance."

OP
Pablo

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"COVID is messing up college basketball. Again. Teams that have 100% vaccination rates have been sidelined by positive tests. As of Wednesday afternoon, more than 55 teams have gone on pause this season, with north of 40 of those pauses active. The Big East has already forfeited three games. Four ACC teams can't play right now. At Yale, fans are no longer allowed at games until at least January.

Thousands of college basketball players got the jab. They did their part. Omicron doesn't care.

Commissioners and league offices found coaches and athletic directors working phone lines, requesting to reverse the rule in recent days."

"League sources told CBS Sports that the Big Ten has 'every intention of changing' the rule back. The Big Ten doesn't have as much urgency around this as other leagues because the conference doesn't resume league play until Jan. 2. Meanwhile, there are at least four leagues staying put with forfeits for now: the American, the Atlantic 10, the Missouri Valley and the WAC, which was first to stick with its policy when the league didn't alter course after discussions on Thursday. (The Ivy League and the WCC were two leagues that never implemented a forfeit policy.)"

"Atlantic 10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade said her league's athletic directors are keeping forfeit policies on the books with 'agreement to give league authority to reschedule any game and reverse an earlier declared forfeiture.' There will be ongoing reviews about no-contests and postponements.

'We remain fluid and flexible,' McGlade said. 'This variant is different, we have the vaccinations that are in play, the booster in play, the protocols are all basically some small versions of insurance policy that hopefully your entire program isn't closed down because of a positive.'

Every commissioner I spoke with expressed some level of surprise over how quickly omicron has changed the calculus. The forfeit rule was put in place to increase vaccination, curb spread and maintain scheduling integrity. Breakthrough cases -- with mostly fully vaccinated but not yet boosted people -- has sideswiped sports."

"The scramble is on to prepare for a topsy-turvy January, and likely February, but there remains hope that March could see a recession of cases. Not one commissioner, AD or coach I've spoken with this week is enthusiastic about what awaits in January, though."

Last edited:

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
Given that the NCAA (and each individual member school, as well as the networks footing the bill) undoubtably want as many games played as possible, I am perplexed by the recommended protocol that only athletes who are unvaccinated need to be tested. We know the vaxxed can get Covid and pass it on to others. Given this reality, why are schools only testing the 1-2 athletes who are unvaccinated/partially vaxxed and ignoring everyone else (who are just as likely to be infected and transmit)?

In the pros, if someone tests positive they are immediately adminstered a more sensitive PCR test. If that comes back negative then no biggie.

We also now know that being triple vaxxed is the only way to fully protect against Omicron. Two doses provides minimal protection. And yet, it seems none of our players nor staff have been boosted? Is this true?

Favor to ask of Pablo...you like posing trivia questions. Here's one for YOU:

One month ago the FDA and CDC advocated for boosters for every adult 18+. Why didn't the NCAA and member schools encourage athletes to get immediately boosted on the back of this recommendation when it would seem to serve the interest of playing as many games as possible?

The cynical me suspects the NCAA is working on a policy revision that says: "It's o.k. You can now play with covid!"
the NFL just did

nynva

Preferred Walk-On
Jim - if vaccinated your risk of getting the virus is the same but supposedly you have a much lower risk of having covid kill you because your body can fight it off better

otherwise why would cornell that is 97% vaccinated feel the need to shut down their entire campus?

nynva

Preferred Walk-On

Earl the Squirrel​

"While I agree that covid will be with us from here on out, until it mutates into something no more dangerous than the common cold, I'm for mitigation efforts. There are simply too many in our communities who are not fully vaxxed, and therefore quite vulnerable."

those over 80 regardless of their vaccination status are more vulnerable than anyone healthy under 40 who hasn't gotten vaccinated. To many including myself this horrible virus wasn't more problematic than the common cold.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Jim - if vaccinated your risk of getting the virus is the same but supposedly you have a much lower risk of having covid kill you because your body can fight it off better

otherwise why would cornell that is 97% vaccinated feel the need to shut down their entire campus?

Agreed - The problem with SARS/COVID type virus' is their rate of mutation. Hence we don't have a vaccine for the common cold or a really effective flu shot. mRNA has an issue where its effectiveness wanes rather quickly (won't discuss high rate of negative side effects, etc.) - hence scenarios like Cornell, the NFL shutting down, and the NHL despite 98% vaccination rates.
The good news - using data to date - the later variants are becoming weaker in symptomology like omicron. Eventually, this will become endemic (many doctors think we are at that stage others say we are still a little far off).

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

Earl the Squirrel​

"While I agree that covid will be with us from here on out, until it mutates into something no more dangerous than the common cold, I'm for mitigation efforts. There are simply too many in our communities who are not fully vaxxed, and therefore quite vulnerable."

those over 80 regardless of their vaccination status are more vulnerable than anyone healthy under 40 who hasn't gotten vaccinated. To many including myself this horrible virus wasn't more problematic than the common cold.

I am 51 and had Covid a couple of months ago. I am not vaccinated - neither is my family (wife and kids) - we had mild symptoms. My sister in law and her family are vaccinated and still got it -- they had symptoms similar to ours. according to the UK and South Africa - the Omicron variant stays in the upper respiratory passage ways and not going into the lungs. That is good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.