No Patriot Platoon in Brooklyn - floating an idea...

GMURaider

Sixth Man
http://wtvr.com/2014/03/11/vcu-alumni-starts-fundraiser-to-get-rams-to-a-10/

I was recently informed by one of my GMU AD contacts that the Patriot Platoon is not being sent to Brooklyn.

Frankly, that's pathetic and sucks.

We might have a scattered individual presence but it will not be a strong unified voice like vcu's.

I don't want excuses.

Either we can continue making excuses or we can start thinking aggressively and outside the box!

There is no excuse as to why the largest university in Virginia cannot send our student section to Brooklyn in 2015.

We need to start planning now so as to ensure success.

I think a digital fundraising campaign has a strong chance of success especially given that we are talking a year out.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
This is going to come back to the same old debate of "our student attendance sucks" but regardless...

Its a numbers game and goes back to how the team performs. If the team performs well, people show up. If the team continues to do well, more and more people will show up, and support them wherever the team goes. If the team is successful could something like this happen? Sure.

If anything, I'd love to see them bundle in an optional fee (on top of the $25, or include in the $25) that includes the ability to discount the trip to Brooklyn in some way, but who knows if thats possible etc.

If the team is good though, people go wherever without subsidizing..students went to Dayton in 2006, and I'm not sure if it was discounted..

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we have 56 Platoon members this season that would sign up even for a free trip. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense a lot of apathy. Plus, it's spring break.

But it's not like our AD did nothing for the students -- student tickets are free, and they can buy tickets for non-student friends at $20 apiece.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we have 56 Platoon members this season that would sign up even for a free trip. Maybe I'm wrong, but I sense a lot of apathy. Plus, it's spring break.

But it's not like our AD did nothing for the students -- student tickets are free, and they can buy tickets for non-student friends at $20 apiece.

Agreed with the first part. But also, free tickets is good, but there has to be other help along the line too..its not around the corner like Richmond. Or at least there has to be a group willing to go and split a hotel room to make it cheap.

I hope they'll figure this out at some point in the future, when/if the team succeeds.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed with the first part. But also, free tickets is good, but there has to be other help along the line too..its not around the corner like Richmond. Or at least there has to be a group willing to go and split a hotel room to make it cheap.

I hope they'll figure this out at some point in the future, when/if the team succeeds.

NYC is a little unorthodox for spring break, but I would do that trip.

But I'm also from South Florida and went home there for winter and summer break anyway so I would go non-beach places for spring break like Snowshoe Mountain. I hiked the Appalachian trail at Harpers Ferry one year and I went to Montreal another.

OP
GMURaider

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Thank you for taking time to respond. Both of you are intelligent and passionate Mason fans.

Fair point...

Here's a question to Mr. Met or MasonFanatic: I know both of you are season ticket holders.

What would you say is a rough estimate of how many students we have averaged this season versus the Chris Brooks days?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Thank you for taking time to respond. Both of you are intelligent and passionate Mason fans.

Fair point...

Here's a question to Mr. Met or MasonFanatic: I know both of you are season ticket holders.

What would you say is a rough estimate of how many students we have averaged this season versus the Chris Brooks days?

Impossible to calculate. Ask someone in the AD (maybe Greg Kennedy)

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
During my four years at Mason (2009-2013), the student attendance started to drop off each season. It was pretty good my freshman year, sophomore year it was really good, junior year was hit and miss, and senior year was absolutely terrible outside of maybe two games.