New Verbal - CJ Jackson from Montverde Academy

why would a kid want to commit to Hewitt right now? Unless he's committing because Lockett loves the school, it doesn't make sense. in either case, welcome aboard CJ! Exactly what our roster needs. a scoring Point Guard.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Lockett is a glue guy. Who would of thought more so off the court.

OP
dr. gunnie

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
why would a kid want to commit to Hewitt right now? Unless he's committing because Lockett loves the school, it doesn't make sense. in either case, welcome aboard CJ! Exactly what our roster needs. a scoring point Guard.

His Dad is a college basketball coach and I'm sure they know what might come regarding our coaching situation. Worst case scenario for him is they let him out of his commitment in a couple months if Hewitt is let go. I actually think it's a smart move for him locking in now, and he can bail if he doesn't like the next coach (or the coach doesn't like him).

Dawgs99

Starter
Seems like Hewitt and staff have done a decent job recruting considering the spot they are currently in. Looks like Gilbert is the real deal and Jackson is a coaches son who can shoot and handle the ball.....I'll take it. Hope Lockett can convince him to stay when Hewitt gets shit canned.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.usprepathletes.com/blog/2014/02/19/cj-jackson/:

It wasn’t long after that when C.J. began revealing a penchant to excel on the hardwood. Basketball certainly was in his bloodlines. After his standout career at Georgia, Mr. Jackson played in Venezuela and then returned to Los Angeles to begin his coaching career at Campbell Hall High School. One day, after his team had played poorly in a loss, Big Cleveland was lecturing his players as 2-year-old C.J. waited in the background.
“I had sat all the players down, and I was yelling at them — I was going off,” Cleveland said. “After a while, I noticed that they were looking through me, like they weren’t paying attention. I remember saying, ‘What are you guys looking at? See, this is the problem! You can’t pay attention!’

“Then one of the kids said, ‘Coach, look at your son!'”

Sixteen years after the fact, Cleveland still sounds amazed as he recalls what he saw that day.

“I turned around,” he said, “and my son had two basketballs, dribbling around his body. I mean, two regular-sized balls, and he was pounding them!.”

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.nationalletter.org/:

"NLI Signing Dates for Prospective Student-Athletes
Signing 2014-15 and Enrolling 2015-16

Sport(s) Initial Signing Date Final Signing Date
Basketball (Early Period) November 12, 2014 November 19, 2014
Basketball (Regular Period) April 15, 2015 Division I: May 20, 2015"

http://www.nationalletter.org/frequentlyAskedQuestions/signingTheNli.html#:

• "Am I required to sign the NLI on the initial signing day for my sport?

No. Signing the NLI is voluntary at any and all times. Prospective student-athletes are not required to sign the NLI on the first day of the signing period. Many prospective student-athletes do choose to sign their NLI on the first available day to bring an end to the recruiting process. You should note the NLI Provision allows a student 7 days from the date the NLI is issued (or the initial signing date if the NLI is received before that date) to sign and still have it declared valid."

Last edited:

jmckend1

Starter
Wait, then I click on the link and am not sure it's actually about HIM going to Furman. What the hell am I looking at?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Upon further inspection, I'm not sure if that's a tweet about him going to Furman, but another guy.

Cj retweeted
Mook @J_wall_11 · 14h14 hours ago
NATIONAL SIGNING DAY
1f608.png
1f64c.png
270f.png
1f3c0.png
#FurmanBound
1f64c.png

View more photos and videos
24 retweets37 favorites
Retweet24
Favorite37

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Thanks for walking that one back. I had almost started the wheels in motion to go full-vcu on him -- had the hitman for his cat lined up, sent his girlfriend's snapchat account info to couchcoach, and had severed Gunston's head to put it in his bed.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What's the story with this kid? Did Paulsen not attempt to get him to sign, or did the kid decide not to sign after Hewitt was canned? I know Gilbert had signed his LOI, but Paulsen made the effort to go see him. Very strange that we never heard anything about attempts to keep Jackson.