Mason beats Shockers!!!

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Wow. I agree, that's an awesome idea. And like Jim said, it won't happen. Aren't they turning it into dorms/classrooms? We'd all drop dead if the Admin. dedicated the Mason Inn for solely athletic purposes.

Why not use acceptance to the converted Mason Inn to honor worthy incoming seniors (athletes & non-athletes) similar to the Lawn rooms at UVA? Frankly, I'm not in favor of athletes-only dorms.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it's a great idea. Not only would there be dorms just for the team but the rest of the space that the hotel offers would allow for endless opportunities. Great space for study rooms, dining, lounges, etc. Seems to make a lot of sense.

I was half joking bringing Hewitt into the equation. But, I'd be interested in knowing why you are sure Hewitt will not be the coach in 24 months? I think there is a reasonable chance (against my wishes) that he will be around for longer than that. If that happens, and given recruiting is where we will have to win our games, we may need all the tools to win those 5 star recruits.

There are two years (24 months) left on his contract. Total wins have gone from 24 to 22 to 9. That's going in the wrong direction. We've discussed on other threads how tough it will be next year with Allen/Wright/J2 graduating.

Unless Tom O'Connor on his way out (I don't think he is our AD in 2015-16) decides to extend Hewitt a few more years, I think he gets at max the full 5 years and might be gone after 2014-15 if a new AD decides to hire his own person.

I have zero information to back any of that up. It's just a guess.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Also, why not play some women's games there to boost interest?
I have been pushing this idea for a long time. The best I can figure out is that it creates the illusion of a title IX issue so no-one wants to approach it.

There's a simple solution - sell tickets for any games at the RAC separately from the season or partial season ticket plans. Also, why not play some women's games there to boost interest?

I'm not sure how having a game at the RAC will boost interest in seeing the women play.

I don't see the average student or even NOVA basketball fan saying "oooh look, Mason's women's team is playing a game at the RAC! Let's go!"

It would just appear that it was cheaper and easier than opening up a 10K seat arena for them. Which is might be.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There are two years (24 months) left on his contract. Total wins have gone from 24 to 22 to 9. That's going in the wrong direction. We've discussed on other threads how tough it will be next year with Allen/Wright/J2 graduating.

Unless Tom O'Connor on his way out (I don't think he is our AD in 2015-16) decides to extend Hewitt a few more years, I think he gets at max the full 5 years and might be gone after 2014-15 if a new AD decides to hire his own person.

I have zero information to back any of that up. It's just a guess.

I don't disagree with our logic, I just don't see any signs of it yet. As far as I can tell our woes are all being blamed on first year in A10, not his guys, Arledge and these are just kids (that one baffles me the most since all teams have kids of the same age). Now maybe people are just putting a good game face on, but I have yet to talk with anyone in the know that will admit that they believe there is potentially a coaching issue. Maybe that will change once we get to the off season, but it does not give me a good feeling.

If TOC does not get extended, then it depends on a new AD, and that would seem to depend on the president, who I don't have a good feel for how well he would choose a new AD.... Would the new AD come in and clean house quickly, or give it a few years...

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm not sure how having a game at the RAC will boost interest in seeing the women play.
For me having the women play at the RAC is not about interest, but about creating an advantage for the women. In the RAC, the crowd could get loud instead of being lost in the Patriot Center.

Think of how cool it would be if we had a baseball stadium with a retractable roof with a basketball practice facility riding on top of it.

How silly would that be?

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
There's a simple solution - sell tickets for any games at the RAC separately from the season or partial season ticket plans.
I liked having the special game in the RAC last year, but I think planning to have one there from the start could back fire. I could see the season ticket holders that want tickets and don't get them getting upset about it. It would be bad to tick off your most loyal fans for no reason. An exhibition game, now that might make sense.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I liked having the special game in the RAC last year, but I think planning to have one there from the start could back fire. I could see the season ticket holders that want tickets and don't get them getting upset about it. It would be bad to tick off your most loyal fans for no reason. An exhibition game, now that might make sense.

It would be fun to be mad about not getting tickets as opposed to our normally being mad about having tickets for shitty games

Pablo

Hall of Famer

I would be satisfied with exhibition games there. And, I hope that the women's program would voluntarily schedule a game there.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I would be satisfied with exhibition games there. And, I hope that the women's program would voluntarily schedule a game there.
I liked your previous version of this post better where you questioned if I was serious, where you were using a CBI game, of all things, as an example of our disloyal fans...

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I liked your previous version of this post better where you questioned if I was serious, where you were using a CBI game, of all things, as an example of our disloyal fans...

Yes, I deleted it because I'm trying to stay positive. But, it does annoy me when I see all of the empty seats held by season ticket holders and the lack of interest in postseason games other than the NCAA tourney.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
What I think the Admin. should focus on:
1.) Get a new AD and Coach...time to re-energize the program with fresh ideas and new people.
2.) New roof for the Patriot Center...eventually leading to a new scoreboard and audio system (maybe a new lighting system as well..enhance gameday atmosphere).
3.) A dedicated "Basketball Hall of Fame" that is easily accessible and noticeable to not only recruits, but the general public as well.
4.) A possible addition to the RAC that would allow a "private" area for the basketball program...one where a recruit would come in and realize it's just for basketball.
5.) Cut a few sports to allow more spending on other sports, especially the basketball program.
6.) A new baseball stadium.

...obviously there are more things that could be added to this list and a few things that could be taken off of it. Just my thoughts.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Brian,

Which sports would you recommend that Mason eliminate?

Here is a checklist I'd go through to determine sports to have at a D-I school:

- can you sell it? (tickets, sponsorships, hospitality, etc)

- potential revenue (tied to above, but also includes conference TV $$ and NCAA tournament $$ that are not directly driven by the school)

- Do more than 10 schools in the conference offer that sport?

- Do high schools in the region support the sport to provide an ample recruiting pipeline

- Can you offer the maximum amount of scholarships allowed by the NCAA and still be Title IX compliant? {football and basketball offer full rides, but most people don't realize that other sports are given a specific amount of scholarships to be split among the team as the coach sees fit. In baseball, the NCAA allows for a school to offer 11.7 scholarships. Mason does offer 11.7 scholarships; Georgetown offer about 4.5 scholarships and Maryland is around 9.5 to 10)

- Can an athlete graduate and go on to play professionally? There are obvious PR/marketing/credibility benefits, but if done correctly, the Patriot Club should be nurturing these pro athletes to solicit large donations.

- Are the facilities in place to support the sport?

I'm sure I missed a few, but I think this would cover most of it.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Here is a checklist I'd go through to determine sports to have at a D-I school:

- can you sell it? (tickets, sponsorships, hospitality, etc)

- potential revenue (tied to above, but also includes conference TV $$ and NCAA tournament $$ that are not directly driven by the school)

- Do more than 10 schools in the conference offer that sport?

- Do high schools in the region support the sport to provide an ample recruiting pipeline

- Can you offer the maximum amount of scholarships allowed by the NCAA and still be Title IX compliant? {football and basketball offer full rides, but most people don't realize that other sports are given a specific amount of scholarships to be split among the team as the coach sees fit. In baseball, the NCAA allows for a school to offer 11.7 scholarships. Mason does offer 11.7 scholarships; Georgetown offer about 4.5 scholarships and Maryland is around 9.5 to 10)

- Can an athlete graduate and go on to play professionally? There are obvious PR/marketing/credibility benefits, but if done correctly, the Patriot Club should be nurturing these pro athletes to solicit large donations.

- Are the facilities in place to support the sport?

I'm sure I missed a few, but I think this would cover most of it.

Men's volleyball and wrestling aren't A10 sports at all. As much as I like our volleyball program, I'd say start right there, after that I'd say golf, but mostly because I just don't understand it as a college sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Do not get rid of volleyball. The wife and I go to them and you cannot help but love women's volleyball. Golf should go. Wrestling might be an option. Mason is strong in track and field and swimming (also get a lot of local recruits) keep those. Tennis a toss up.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Knowing how much Five Two cares about Mason baseball, I really believe that he needs to be careful what he wishes for in proposing to reduce the number of sports to the minimum number required by the NCAA. Because he should know that baseball is often a prime candidate for elimination. Remember when Drexel dropped baseball, and Towson's task group recommended doing so. Four years ago, Duquesne dropped baseball, wrestling, men's swimming and diving, & men's golf.

Interestingly, this thread was started because Mason defeated Wichita State, an elite baseball program. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a baseball fan and have attended some Mason games. But, does anyone seriously expect Mason to compete with schools like Wichita State for NCAA championships in baseball. If not, then can't you make the case to eliminate baseball and commit more funds to sports that you can realistically win NCAA team or individual championships?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Knowing how much Five Two cares about Mason baseball, I really believe that he needs to be careful what he wishes for in proposing to reduce the number of sports to the minimum number required by the NCAA. Because he should know that baseball is often a prime candidate for elimination. Remember when Drexel dropped baseball, and Towson's task group recommended doing so. Four years ago, Duquesne dropped baseball, wrestling, men's swimming and diving, & men's golf.

Interestingly, this thread was started because Mason defeated Wichita State, an elite baseball program. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a baseball fan and have attended some Mason games. But, does anyone seriously expect Mason to compete with schools like Wichita State for NCAA championships in baseball. If not, then can't you make the case to eliminate baseball and commit more funds to sports that you can realistically win NCAA team or individual championships?

With our financials, I'd say that none of our sports are serious contenders for NCAA championships and is an unrealistic goal. Being competitive in the A10 however is a reachable goal and so far many of our sports have been doing just that.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
With our financials, I'd say that none of our sports are serious contenders for NCAA championships and is an unrealistic goal. Being competitive in the A10 however is a reachable goal and so far many of our sports have been doing just that.

I agree, but I'm not the one proposing the elimination of sports to the minimum required by the NCAA as some posters are (including Five Two and Brian).