Legitimate Excuses for Hewitt

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I still think Hewitt is a good recruiter - you don't land the kids he did at Georgia Tech without being a good recruiter.

I think his problem is he is not a good talent evaluator. It wasn't hard to evaluate talent when you recruit at Georgia Tech, you take the top 50 to 75 guys in the country and you recruit them. Anyone can figure out who the top 50 to 75 guys are - that isn't hard. The problem is when you are at a school that isn't going to land those type of kids, you have to go out and find/evaluate kids and what they're good at, where they fit into your program, what they will be able to improve on and expand their game... this has been our downfall. We try to take perimeter players and turn them into guards instead of recruiting true PG's. We take 6'6" SF after 6'6" SF who are limited in what they can do and hope they will turn into a ball handler and they never do. Tony Shaver can evaluate talent. Bill Coen can evaluate talent. These guys sign 1 and 2 star players, but they fit into a legit system that works and they win.

Plus, we used to have kids that were hungry - they would do anything to win basketball games. They had fire. That's something you evaluate during the recruiting process. I don't see those type of kids on our roster anymore. I want the kids that will do whatever it takes to win - not the kids that do the minimum. That has to be an emphasis during the evaluation stage.