Kenner

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Screw Longwood or Wingate. Once Otis is done playing we need to bring him back to Mason as part of Paulsen's coaching tree.

Keep it in the family and maintain continuity like Butler and vcu.

No objection here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
Most important question out of the Kenner League: Did anyone get hurt? If no, good. If yes, bad.
Yup, Otis did one of his diving layups where he hits the floor and I held my my breathe for a sec. That Kostas kid from Dayton broke his leg the other day playing for the Greece national team. He might never suit up for Dayton.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Yup, Otis did one of his diving layups where he hits the floor and I held my my breathe for a sec. That Kostas kid from Dayton broke his leg the other day playing for the Greece national team. He might never suit up for Dayton.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ouch. Two years in a row now they've lost him.

Looks like Grant isn't going to be gifted another Larry Sanders to start with.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ouch. Two years in a row now they've lost him.

Looks like Grant isn't going to be gifted another Larry Sanders to start with.

He'll still have some pieces to work with, though. Probably start Josh Cunningham and Xerius Williams at the 3 and 4 and one of these other 6'10 recruits at the 5. Some big questions at the 1 and 2, though, with no one returning who contributed significantly last year (Darrell Davis and John Crosby might start, but they may not finish as the starters by the end of the season).

By George.

Starter
Kenner was pretty fun today. Watching AJ play is exciting. I don't have much to add on him that hasn't already been said but he continued to be extremely efficient and his jumpers looked fluid and not forced. He played with so much energy. More athletic than most power forwards in the A10 and quicker than most centers.

Grayer lit it up from deep and got to the bucket. If he hits his shots early, his whole game gets better. Although people are not really boxing out, he was always around the basket working to get boards. He looks even more jacked than last year and I bet last year gave him some extra toughness.

Otis looked like Otis today, handled the ball well but forced a couple ill-advised passes. Hit all of his free throws and it seemed like he could probably draw a foul whenever he wanted. He was going against Cowan from Maryland. Cowan got the best of him a couple times but what I thought was impressive was late in the second half Otis started beating Cowan to spots on defense and forcing Cowan into fadeaway's and bad shots. Otis played every minute of the game but still had his legs late vs a 4star talent.

Lastly, Kenner now has fried chicken wings........ my rating: BANGIN'

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm most excited about the fact that AJ is showing he can legit play away from the basket.

With the uninspired defense some guys play at Kenner, it wouldn't mean as much if he was just scoring on dunks and put backs he would never get in the normal flow of a real game.

But he has looked good hitting the 3 as well as several mid-range jumpers, and those are shots we're gonna need him to make if he's going to play the 4 spot in Dave's system.

Of course, with his defense around the rim he's already such a weapon. If he gets enough minutes he could lead the A-10 in blocked shots as a freshman. He's just gifted that way.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm most excited about the fact that AJ is showing he can legit play away from the basket.

With the uninspired defense some guys play at Kenner, it wouldn't mean as much if he was just scoring on dunks and put backs he would never get in the normal flow of a real game.

But he has looked good hitting the 3 as well as several mid-range jumpers, and those are shots we're gonna need him to make if he's going to play the 4 spot in Dave's system.

Of course, with his defense around the rim he's already such a weapon. If he gets enough minutes he could lead the A-10 in blocked shots as a freshman. He's just gifted that way.

I have only seen the highlights of AJ, but from the write ups it sounds like he plays a lot like Anthony Davis. Extremely athletic and isn't afraid to shoot the ball.
Also sounds like Karl-Anthony Towns to me.

From those who have seen him, who does AJ remind you of.

G M U

Starter
Can AJ play the 4? He still looks sooo skinny

I attended Sundays game, and AJ is still a tad skinny but his frame is just so broad and long, he can definitely play a 3 or 4. His dad was there too and he's a built guy. I assume AJ still has some bulking out to do but he looks like he's ready to start, likely at the 4.

His ability to hit mid range jumpers and 3's and his overall ability to run the court made him look like he could play the 3. Him and Rhode Islands Dowtin were the best 2 players on the court.

AJ has the potential to be something special. Yes, Kenner isn't a great evaluator for talent but just looking at his skill set, wow.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Can AJ play the 4? He still looks sooo skinny

A lot of teams are playing 3s as 4s now, so I don't think it matters nearly as much as if he were trying to guard, say, a Jai Lewis. We'll see if Temara gets a look at the 4 against particularly big teams, though.

JBiggs

Starter
I think it was Brad Stevens who recently said something like, there are only three types of positions in basketball now, ball-handlers, wings, and bigs. I think that applies even more accurately at the college level than in the NBA, although the NBA is quickly adopting more position-less players and schemes.

In my eyes, we'll likely start two ball handlers (Otis, Kier), two wings (Grayer, Wilson), and one big (TBD?).

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think it was Brad Stevens who recently said something like, there are only three types of positions in basketball now, ball-handlers, wings, and bigs. I think that applies even more accurately at the college level than in the NBA, although the NBA is quickly adopting more position-less players and schemes.

In my eyes, we'll likely start two ball handlers (Otis, Kier), two wings (Grayer, Wilson), and one big (TBD?).

Agree totally.

masonjoe

Starter

I don't see it. A lot of scoring to replace with Moore/Jenkins gone and you're not doing that with Kier, Wilson, and Temara/Relvao/Calixte on the floor at the same time. Too much talent on bench.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't see it. A lot of scoring to replace with Moore/Jenkins gone and you're not doing that with Kier, Wilson, and Temara/Relvao/Calixte on the floor at the same time. Too much talent on bench.
Way to early predictions;

Otis
Grayer
Kier/Boyd
Wilson
Temara

I know everyone thinks Mar will be a day 1 starter, but he is still just a freshman, and hasn't stood out at Kenner league yet .My best guess is by mid season he will start but not day 1.

(I know Kenner is not the best evaluator of talent. But the way I see Kenner is you should tamper expectations for good kenner play, but mediocre Kenner means you need to fine tune your game)

G M U

Starter
Way to early predictions;

I know everyone thinks Mar will be a day 1 starter, but he is still just a freshman, and hasn't stood out at Kenner league yet .My best guess is by mid season he will start but not day 1.

...Mar didn't show up the 2nd weekend of Kenner.