Justyn Fernandez Top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

He15man

Starter
I make jokes, but I honestly believe this new NIL stuff stands to really benefit Mason in situations like this. Not because we'll be able to bring big bucks to the table, but because all the P5 schools are going to be hyper focused on the Top50 5-stars and figuring out how to bring the biggest deal to the table. As a result, the really good, but maybe not elite guys (i.e., 4-stars), are going to get less attention and love ... leaving programs like us to form better bonds and connections with the recruits and their families.

I mean, with the money stuff finally out in the open, it's an absurd arms race with the elite guys. The days of needing "bag men" might not be dead, but buying these kids services is now legal. I'm not even kidding when I say Florida football is battling 3 other programs for a DT named Walter Nolen - and the father has all but said it's going to come down to which school can show them the biggest NIL money. Truly insane.

So all that said, I still think it's going to take a lot to get JF's signature, but a second visit, our coach's style and NBA connections, and the fact that we probably COULD have him meet an NBA player without fear of NCAA sanctions makes this more possible than years past.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this was a long time ago, and it really didn't work out like many of us had hoped, but one of the main reasons Carlos Yates came to Mason was to "set the stage for putting us on the map", or something similar to that.
Of course we already are on the map now with a FF under our belt, but maybe KE could convince JF that there is something to be said for being "the guy that started it all." And with KE and the new administration, I'm hopeful we wouldn't fizzle like we did after Carlos left and after the FF.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I make jokes, but I honestly believe this new NIL stuff stands to really benefit Mason in situations like this. Not because we'll be able to bring big bucks to the table, but because all the P5 schools are going to be hyper focused on the Top50 5-stars and figuring out how to bring the biggest deal to the table. As a result, the really good, but maybe not elite guys (i.e., 4-stars), are going to get less attention and love ... leaving programs like us to form better bonds and connections with the recruits and their families.

I mean, with the money stuff finally out in the open, it's an absurd arms race with the elite guys. The days of needing "bag men" might not be dead, but buying these kids services is now legal. I'm not even kidding when I say Florida football is battling 3 other programs for a DT named Walter Nolen - and the father has all but said it's going to come down to which school can show them the biggest NIL money. Truly insane.

So all that said, I still think it's going to take a lot to get JF's signature, but a second visit, our coach's style and NBA connections, and the fact that we probably COULD have him meet an NBA player without fear of NCAA sanctions makes this more possible than years past.

Doesn't this run counter to the NCAA regulation that the NIL deals are not contingent on which school the student-athlete is attending? These are supposed to be independent aren't they?

He15man

Starter
Doesn't this run counter to the NCAA regulation that the NIL deals are not contingent on which school the student-athlete is attending? These are supposed to be independent aren't they?
Yeah... a kid can sign whatever they want regardless of where they go, but P5 schools didn't sit on their hands for the past year. They spent that time establishing whole departments that are dedicated to NIL opportunities and governance. So for recruiting, all the 5-star studs know it's not truly on them to find those deals; the deals are going to come to them via the school brokering it. And, in cases like the one I mentioned, the school that puts the most lucrative NIL deal on the table (negotiated and ready to be signed) will win that kids signature. I mean, if you don't believe each school is bringing packages to the table and working to one-up the competition, that's just being in denial. I think it was Lane Kiffin who recently admitted in an interview that schools are doing this in recruiting. I mean... it's out there now. It's honestly no different than what's always been done via bagmen. I can't tell you how many signing day stories I've heard that involve literal bags of cash mysteriously being found on a kids doorstep they morning he's set to announce or sign his letter of intent. Now, instead of bags of cash, it's legitimate contracts.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not true totally....Duke is still paying with bags of cash. Tax free is better.

He15man

Starter
But played at Florida.
True... and he never has a bad word to say about UF. But he was only there for a couple years, and he was there during the Donovan years - not the current MIke White regime. White is okay as a coach, but literally NO ONE would ever dare compare him to Donovan. And past players say as much.

He15man

Starter
Not true totally....Duke is still paying with bags of cash. Tax free is better.
I'm not saying bags of cash are dead. I even said as much in an earlier post. The point i'm making here is that it's not exclusive to cash drops and operating in the shadows anymore.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah... a kid can sign whatever they want regardless of where they go, but P5 schools didn't sit on their hands for the past year. They spent that time establishing whole departments that are dedicated to NIL opportunities and governance. So for recruiting, all the 5-star studs know it's not truly on them to find those deals; the deals are going to come to them via the school brokering it. And, in cases like the one I mentioned, the school that puts the most lucrative NIL deal on the table (negotiated and ready to be signed) will win that kids signature. I mean, if you don't believe each school is bringing packages to the table and working to one-up the competition, that's just being in denial. I think it was Lane Kiffin who recently admitted in an interview that schools are doing this in recruiting. I mean... it's out there now. It's honestly no different than what's always been done via bagmen. I can't tell you how many signing day stories I've heard that involve literal bags of cash mysteriously being found on a kids doorstep they morning he's set to announce or sign his letter of intent. Now, instead of bags of cash, it's legitimate contracts.

I mean, of course it's happening, but it also seems like a blatant and obvious violation of the "inducement" clause in the regulations and surprised people are being so open about it. But I guess the NCAA is going to pretend not to care in the same way they're still handing out transfer waivers (for players transferring for a second or third time) AFTER the one-time transfer rule has gone into effect?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Was reading an article from the players' perspective saying NIL hasn't really materially changed the landscape of college athletics and looking at their comments I think the next domino to fall is allowing players to sign semi-pro deals for summer leagues (I mean, why not get paid to play in Kenner League style summer tournaments?)

He15man

Starter
I mean, of course it's happening, but it also seems like a blatant and obvious violation of the "inducement" clause in the regulations and surprised people are being so open about it. But I guess the NCAA is going to pretend not to care in the same way they're still handing out transfer waivers (for players transferring for a second or third time) AFTER the one-time transfer rule has gone into effect?
Oh, i agree. It's amazing that it's so out in the open, but it's that way because everyone knows the NCAA is a flaccid, utterly useless organization that won't do anything. I think the worst they've done in recent memory was Ole Miss getting a bowl ban, loss of some scholarships and vacating some wins... and that was when Laremy Tunsil flatly admitted - on draft night - to taking money from the coaches because some really damning video and texts were released during the draft. It was totally wild. But anyway, the NCAA is slowly becoming more and more irrelevant - through its own fault. They wouldn't DARE hold P5 programs accountable before, so why would they do it now when the contracts we're talking about here are to benefit athletes - many of whom come from nothing. And it's not like the school can't explain it away easily with a "oh, well we were just telling him about this opportunity we came across ... obviously it's still open to him..."

He15man

Starter
Was reading an article from the players' perspective saying NIL hasn't really materially changed the landscape of college athletics and looking at their comments I think the next domino to fall is allowing players to sign semi-pro deals for summer leagues (I mean, why not get paid to play in Kenner League style summer tournaments?)
Bet you're right.... the NIL stuff is only getting started. Until companies figure out what to do and see what ROI comes from using a player as a brand ambassador, it'll start slow. But just like hwo the transfer portal has changed the nature of recruiting, the NIL will eventually have the same kind of impact.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No idea if it’s a current or old video but based on Kim English’s Instastory, it looks like he’s at IMG Academy in FL. Hopefully there to visit Justyn.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I would still rather a bag of cash. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.