Is Wednesday night the biggest game in Patriot Center history?

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We should set up a End of Game Meltdown Hall of Fame somewhere.

The funny thing is the 2006 UConn game very easily could have been a candidate for said Hall of Fame. First, Tony Skinn missed a crucial FT with 6 seconds left in regulation, which opened the window for Denham Brown to tie the game at the buzzer. Then Jai Lewis missed three FTs in a span of 15 seconds in OT, which gave Brown a 3-point attempt to win the game at the buzzer. Had that gone in, we would still be crying about what could have been.

Another example is the Villanova game in the NCAAT when Isaiah Tate fouled Corey Fisher while he was attempting a 3. We were up 2 with 31 seconds at the time, and then we were suddenly down 1. Had Luke not pulled that miracle 3 out of his a**, we'd still be talking about that foul today.

Just goes to show how much luck comes into play in big games. Had the ref not said Sherrod's inbounds pass hit the line last night — seriously, who can see that let alone calls it? — we would have hit at least one FT and iced the game.

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
Was anybody watching the TV feed of the game, and did the pass really hit the line?

I agree with Tom, as an official Im not sure I follow how he even made that call? That would mean that he was staring at the ball the entire time and nothing else.....

Other calls I had an issue with:

Not an intentional when their guy fouled Sherrod by grabbing his hips. What is an intentional foul if that isnt? No effort at the ball, just grabbed Wright(This effected the outcome imo, 2 FTs and the ball would have been it)

Both the goal tending calls...... took 2 points away from us and gave them 2 points.

sigmanorm

Starter
Was anybody watching the TV feed of the game, and did the pass really hit the line?

I agree with Tom, as an official Im not sure I follow how he even made that call? That would mean that he was staring at the ball the entire time and nothing else.....
I watched the replay last night and I could not tell from the camera angle. It looked close

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
They didn't have a good view of it, but I didn't think the ball hit the line. Some people have said that Sherrod stepped on the line and that was the call.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
They didn't have a good view of it, but I didn't think the ball hit the line. Some people have said that Sherrod stepped on the line and that was the call.

Although I couldn't tell if the ball hit the line from the replay, neither of Sherrod's feet were particularly close to the line when he threw it in. Not even close enough to be a judgment call.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Are we always playing 8 vs 5? Seems like no ref likes Blewitt.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It really was a BS call. Everybody in my section was cheering, because we assumed they called a foul on UMass. Then the ref starts pointing the other way and saying we turned it over.

I also agree with P49 about them grabbing Sherrod in the open court. How can that be anything but a breakaway? It's really no different than the one Allen was called for against St. Joes. We should have gotten 2 FTs and the ball. Again, if that happens, it's pretty much game over, and we aren't talking about botched inbounds plays, dredging up old posts from the GT boards., or listening to GS make the same lame Blewitt joke for the 20th time.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Are we always playing 8 vs 5? Seems like no ref likes Blewitt.
TV clearly showed Hewitt yelling "You are awful" at a ref over and over early in yesterday's game. It's one thing to challenge the refs hoping to get inside their heads and get some returns. It's quite another thing to insult someone and then wonder why they don't want to call things your way.

Patriotfan49

Starter
It really was a BS call. Everybody in my section was cheering, because we assumed they called a foul on UMass. Then the ref starts pointing the other way and saying we turned it over.

I also agree with P49 about them grabbing Sherrod in the open court. How can that be anything but a breakaway? It's really no different than the one Allen was called for against St. Joes. We should have gotten 2 FTs and the ball. Again, if that happens, it's pretty much game over, and we aren't talking about botched inbounds plays, dredging up old posts from the GT boards., or listening to GS make the same lame Blewitt joke for the 20th time.

But as in most games, bad calls are present so you have to do everything in your control to try and make it to where they dont effect the game. Sometimes they end up doing so, but you cant really depend on that either way if you take care of your own business.

Keep in mind Allen got bailed out by a call in the final seconds when they called a reach when he picked up his dribble in the backcourt corner.....

Patriotfan49

Starter
TV clearly showed Hewitt yelling "You are awful" at a ref over and over early in yesterday's game. It's one thing to challenge the refs hoping to get inside their heads and get some returns. It's quite another thing to insult someone and then wonder why they don't want to call things your way.

To be fair, it wasnt call things your way. Its to make the correct call.....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
But as in most games, bad calls are present so you have to do everything in your control to try and make it to where they dont effect the game. Sometimes they end up doing so, but you cant really depend on that either way if you take care of your own business.

Keep in mind Allen got bailed out by a call in the final seconds when they called a reach when he picked up his dribble in the backcourt corner.....

He was being bumped repeatedly in that call. It wasn't just a phantom.

Patriotfan49

Starter
He was being bumped repeatedly in that call. It wasn't just a phantom.

And he wasnt the other three times that he did the same exact thing and picked his dribble up in the back corner and was being double teamed? Of course he was bumped.

My point was, we got lucky to get bailed out there as that too could have led to another turnover.

MasonCrew

Starter
I don't think we can blame the refs in this one. I thought we were on the good side of several bad calls in that game. That said, I don't know but I have a good feeling about this team, still. We obviously aren't going to make the Tourney but I would not be surprised to see these guys make a serious run in Brooklyn. I mean we should have beat Mass, could have easily beat St. Joe's, and (apart for a 3 min stretch and the end of the game free throws) played vcu evenly.

It just seems like things are coming together. I think Moore and Jenkins (especially the latter) are going to be putting a show up North.

Scythe

Starter

It was 50/50. Based on the terrible camera angle they slow motion (looking at the pass head on at a fairly low level with poor lighting) it was still questionable. I think from the angle the ref was at it probably looked like it hit.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Had the ref not said Sherrod's inbounds pass hit the line last night — seriously, who can see that let alone calls it? — we would have hit at least one FT and iced the game.

Exactly right. That is a tough call to make. And from what I saw on TV, the ball was not clearly on the line. Don't want to believe in conspiracies, but the A-10 may be guilty of helping the top teams. They are letting vcu mug other teams at mid-court and then the line call and not calling a foul before Sherrod lost the ball. He may not have been fouled but normally that gets called.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Exactly right. That is a tough call to make. And from what I saw on TV, the ball was not clearly on the line. Don't want to believe in conspiracies, but the A-10 may be guilty of helping the top teams. They are letting vcu mug other teams at mid-court and then the line call and not calling a foul before Sherrod lost the ball. He may not have been fouled but normally that gets called.

In the post game press conference, Kellog said that he told the refs that they weren't trying to foul (speculation: maybe after Allen drew the foul when he was trapped on the press and Kellog went ballistic at the call).

May have planted a seed in the ref's mind not to call a foul subsequently when Sherrod was trapped unless it was obviously blatant. The tv announcers mentioned that the foul that Allen drew was marginal and that Kellog's reaction came close to him getting a technical.