Green Machine 2022

So I assume I'm touching the third rail here but here goes ....

What's up with the Pep Band this year? They are playing a lot fewer songs than usual and don't seem to have the same intensity as in years past. They are also playing the exact same songs they've played for the last few years (minus Bon Jovi and Stevie Wonder - which I liked). Perhaps most disappointing, is that they seem to be dictating when the band can play and relegating them to 1/2 the duration of a time out resulting in them barely starting some songs. Hard to get the crowd going when they clip the songs before the chorus.

Seems like this trend started last year, and from my point of view, it sucks. There were lots of Paulson and Hewitt years when the best part of a Mason game was listening to the band. I'd like to see them cut loose to play long and loud again, with some new stuff to keep it fresh (and an occasional "living on a prayer" for old times' sake).

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Back in my day (class of '09) the band's time was dictated by the game production. Nationally televised games we played less but sometimes more based on the length of timeouts and what else was going on in the arena. Cheerleaders/dance team also needed time to perform as well. Then there were conference regulations to comply with also...when we moved to the A10 the band moved over a section because there's a rule that you can't have the band directly behind the opposing team's bench.

My guess is that something changed with the production and they are probably more limited this year for some reason. Maybe ESPN changed their rules or something. I know it's probably not because the athletic department wanted them to play less. If you watch the band there's a person over by the bleachers who has a headset on...they get told when to play and when to stop. Sometimes you gotta cut a song short because play resumes sooner than expected, or they need to make an announcement.

It's tricky because you can get a bench technical if the band plays at the wrong time.

As for the lack of new songs, not sure. Doc and his staff usually do all the new arrangements...might not have had time for new stuff now that we are post-COVID "normal" and activities seem to be back to usual. Just a guess. It's also early in the season and maybe some of the new arrangements aren't game ready yet.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Back in my day (class of '09) the band's time was dictated by the game production. Nationally televised games we played less but sometimes more based on the length of timeouts and what else was going on in the arena. Cheerleaders/dance team also needed time to perform as well. Then there were conference regulations to comply with also...when we moved to the A10 the band moved over a section because there's a rule that you can't have the band directly behind the opposing team's bench.

My guess is that something changed with the production and they are probably more limited this year for some reason. Maybe ESPN changed their rules or something. I know it's probably not because the athletic department wanted them to play less. If you watch the band there's a person over by the bleachers who has a headset on...they get told when to play and when to stop. Sometimes you gotta cut a song short because play resumes sooner than expected, or they need to make an announcement.

It's tricky because you can get a bench technical if the band plays at the wrong time.

As for the lack of new songs, not sure. Doc and his staff usually do all the new arrangements...might not have had time for new stuff now that we are post-COVID "normal" and activities seem to be back to usual. Just a guess. It's also early in the season and maybe some of the new arrangements aren't game ready yet.
You had a band and a dance team!!??
We had three girls with one megaphone.
;)

HoopsAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I will never complain about Doc and the band - we all owe them undying gratitude for the things they have accomplished for this program, and the support to keep it all going.

That said - it would be awesome if they maybe retired a song each season and brought a new one in. Maybe that's too much, but I think it would be exciting to see what they come up with and it could really be something that the fanbase would look forward to. Make it a big reveal at Mason Madness or at the A10 tourney? Drive some fundraising with it?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I will never complain about Doc and the band - we all owe them undying gratitude for the things they have accomplished for this program, and the support to keep it all going.

That said - it would be awesome if they maybe retired a song each season and brought a new one in. Maybe that's too much, but I think it would be exciting to see what they come up with and it could really be something that the fanbase would look forward to. Make it a big reveal at Mason Madness or at the A10 tourney? Drive some fundraising with it?
Christmas Album - it will be a money maker in spades

FreeGunston12

All-American
So I assume I'm touching the third rail here but here goes ....

What's up with the Pep Band this year? They are playing a lot fewer songs than usual and don't seem to have the same intensity as in years past. They are also playing the exact same songs they've played for the last few years (minus Bon Jovi and Stevie Wonder - which I liked). Perhaps most disappointing, is that they seem to be dictating when the band can play and relegating them to 1/2 the duration of a time out resulting in them barely starting some songs. Hard to get the crowd going when they clip the songs before the chorus.

Seems like this trend started last year, and from my point of view, it sucks. There were lots of Paulson and Hewitt years when the best part of a Mason game was listening to the band. I'd like to see them cut loose to play long and loud again, with some new stuff to keep it fresh (and an occasional "living on a prayer" for old times' sake).
Band also seems to be less than half the size as it was 10 years ago. Makes the arena feel even emptier. Very sad to see.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Its sad to see 6-7 dancing girls take up 6 rows of prime real estate behind the hoop next to the band. Students or band members should be in those rows making noise. Don't mind them but put them on the floor or in the corner. Not worth taking up 6 prime rows for their "performance".

The DJ is awesome.... brings much needed hype to the game when he does play. Its only once or twice per half I think.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Band also seems to be less than half the size as it was 10 years ago. Makes the arena feel even emptier. Very sad to see.

I can't really tell from TV but I'm wondering if there are COVID restrictions in place for the musicians still. If they all have to stand 6ft apart then that would cut the band size down considerably. We used to be really packed in there, especially after Doc came in and started recruiting people to join the band (versus the original band members being "anyone in the music department who liked basketball").

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I can't really tell from TV but I'm wondering if there are COVID restrictions in place for the musicians still. If they all have to stand 6ft apart then that would cut the band size down considerably. We used to be really packed in there, especially after Doc came in and started recruiting people to join the band (versus the original band members being "anyone in the music department who liked basketball").
:ROFLMAO:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t think so.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Don’t think so.
It'd be weird if there were. Then again I've been speculating wildly all over this thread and I will continue to do so.

Anyway the band is smaller because the musicians are smaller. The entire band is toddlers.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Probably better than what we had... a cup.

Bravo sir.

iu

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
As a musician, 2 years of covid made people squirrely about performing in crowds. My choir came back from covid at half the size and has not recovered yet. I suspect this may be a factor in the smaller band size

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
As a musician, 2 years of covid made people squirrely about performing in crowds. My choir came back from covid at half the size and has not recovered yet. I suspect this may be a factor in the smaller band size

Yeah I was playing in a community orchestra out here for a little and they still haven't resumed rehearsals.