Goodbye Dave Paulsen

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I really have no idea. I imagine each has their own challenges.

But I do know that both Pitino and Calipari, who have 10 Final Fours and 3 National Championships between them, weren't up to the task.
My guess is they tried to 'coach' the NBA players and the players weren't having any of it. To me, the NBA looks like 5 players playing one on one against 5 other players each trying to man up their counterpart and drive to the basket. There's not much coaching needed from what I've seen for that offense.

But please don't misunderstand, the guys in the NBA are phenomenal athletes and are good at what they do. I just don't think coaching, at that level, has a whole lot to do with wins and losses.

KAOriginal

All-American
He was obviously able to squeeze blood from a stone with some players (Otis, Kier) but you just can’t start with a base of one and two star recruits unless your only strategy is to get the stars to align in a down year for the A-10. His player development abilities were probably his strong suit but even those were mediocre.

As much as I was done with Paulsen and wanted him rode out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered....he was just over his head in the league. Same players in the CAA, Patriot, SoCon who knows how his tenure looks.

I am sure he can move back to a more appropriate conference, or lower Division at some point and be just fine.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
My guess is they tried to 'coach' the NBA players and the players weren't having any of it. To me, the NBA looks like 5 players playing one on one against 5 other players each trying to man up their counterpart and drive to the basket. There's not much coaching needed from what I've seen for that offense.

But please don't misunderstand, the guys in the NBA are phenomenal athletes and are good at what they do. I just don't think coaching, at that level, has a whole lot to do with wins and losses.

The first part of the first paragraph is correct - tons of iso, and I understand not everyone loves that style. The "not much coaching needed" is where it goes wrong. There's so much intentionality between who they're trying to get isolated on offense and defense. It's basically 48 minutes of hunting mismatches and trying to generate switches that favor the offense. Since it's the best scorers in the world, you're either getting a matchup on a bad defender or getting a good look at a 3 when help crashes. The style is way different and it's not for everyone but they're not just chucking jumpers at random. Compared to college, where 90% of the coaching is "I hope they run the set I called and don't make an obvious mistake," it's much more tactical on every level.

But then I mostly agree with your second paragraph. Talent > everything, but on the margins when talent is relatively even then scheme is critically important.

Bricker

Starter
As much as I was done with Paulsen and wanted him rode out of town on a rail, tarred and feathered....he was just over his head in the league. Same players in the CAA, Patriot, SoCon who knows how his tenure looks.

I am sure he can move back to a more appropriate conference, or lower Division at some point and be just fine.

I think he would have done ok in the watered down CAA. Maybe an NCAA or three, only to take a big L in round one. But hey, we're trying to play big boy ball. I'm excited for the future.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
The FINAL goodbye to DP! His burger at Brion's is gone and has been replaced by the "Jay Hosack" burger. No disrespect intended by who is Jay Hosack?

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I don’t know but he has as many tournament appearances at Mason as Paulsen does

cu1OUq_8_400x400.jpeg

FreeGunston12

All-American

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Dave Paulsen Retweeted

Chris Oliver
@BBallImmersion

·
May 5

Here is just one of the awesome insights @PaulsenDave shared when he presented at the 5-Out Coaches Clinic presented by #basketballimmersion and @Coaches_Clinic @CoachPerkins https://5out.coachesclinic.com

Dave Paulsen
Dave Paulsen
Former College Head Coach

5 Out Motion Ball Screening Concepts​

A talk by Dave Paulsen

Former College Head Coach​

...and then your center will hold the ball over his head for 10 seconds waiting for a guard to get free enough to get the handoff. At that point, since the shot clock is at 5 seconds, you chuck it at the rim and hope it either goes in or you get an offensive rebound.

And that, my friends, is how you lose a lot of games.

End seminar.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
...and then your center will hold the ball over his head for 10 seconds waiting for a guard to get free enough to get the handoff. At that point, since the shot clock is at 5 seconds, you chuck it at the rim and hope it either goes in or you get an offensive rebound.

And that, my friends, is how you lose a lot of games.

End seminar.

Bro! That play had an amazing effective rate of 3%. Why else do you think we inbounded the ball at the top of the arc every time. He's a Williams grad... the man was a mathematical genius and played percentages to our favor.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"I have heard that D3 Bowdoin could have interviews wrapped up this week. It sounds like there are at least five finalists. The names that I have heard are former George Mason (and NESCAC rival Williams College) head coach Dave Paulsen, Texas A&M video Coordinator Alex Lloyd, Nichols College head coach Brandon Linton (a former Bowdoin assistant), RPI head coach Mark Gilbride (played for his father Tim at Bowdoin), and a current D3 head coach from the Midwest."

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I am excited to hear what the Kim English burger will look like. Seems like a good moment to serve someone on an English muffin, have worcestershire sauce and malt vinegar, maybe a black sausage paddy.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

"I have heard that D3 Bowdoin could have interviews wrapped up this week. It sounds like there are at least five finalists. The names that I have heard are former George Mason (and NESCAC rival Williams College) head coach Dave Paulsen, Texas A&M video Coordinator Alex Lloyd, Nichols College head coach Brandon Linton (a former Bowdoin assistant), RPI head coach Mark Gilbride (played for his father Tim at Bowdoin), and a current D3 head coach from the Midwest."
Paulsen has fallen to D3 interviews where he is competing with a video coordinator. I wish him luck though