News George Mason will play in 2016 Gulf Coast Showcase

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
We are rebuilding from a disastrous staff that left the roster with holes everywhere. Fine be a cheerleader but some of us are trying to have a real discussion.

So the implication is that it is not realistic to expect excellence? I'm sorry you are satisfied with the bar being set only so high.

gmu05

Starter
So the implication is that it is not realistic to expect excellence? I'm sorry you are satisfied with the bar being set only so high.

With so many freshman and sophomores, no, it is not realistic to expect them to be best team in any tournament field at the moment. You are welcome to explain the reasoning behind your blind statement though.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
With so many freshman and sophomores, no, it is not realistic to expect them to be best team in any tournament field at the moment. You are welcome to explain the reasoning behind your blind statement though.

I was unaware being a freshman or sophomore was still an excuse. I know it was 20 years ago, but was unaware you were unable to play basketball until your junior and senior years. My bad.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I see the petty BS from the political thread has carried over. Worst thing to ever hit the boards. I am trying to temper my expectations for the coming year. Given our youth and overall inexperience I will expect one win. I will be happy if we win two. Sweep all 3 and I will expect nothing less than a National Championship! ;) Realistic expectations be damned!

gmu05

Starter
I was unaware being a freshman or sophomore was still an excuse. I know it was 20 years ago, but was unaware you were unable to play basketball until your junior and senior years. My bad.

During the program's history when has a group of this many underclassmen and so few experienced seniors ever been that successful?

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Just because something has or has not been done before does not mean is can or cannot happen in the future. I refuse to limit ourselves. It's like saying since we've never had successful underclassmen before (Will Thomas wasn't bad in '06, but that's not the point) we can't now. It's all about expectations. Some strive to be great. While others expect to be great. There is a difference. I expect excellence from my employees. If they strive, work hard, or whatever I don't care, so long as the bottom line is they produce excellence.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Paulsen has stated numerous times that to help become a winning program again, we need bring back the swag, cockiness and confidence in the players... which a huge part of it comes from winning games. To be able to achieve that, we need an easy schedule. This tournament is just that. Most of our already schedules OOC games are pretty weak. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest are weak as well.

Scheduling easy is all part of the rebuilding equation.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen has stated numerous times that to help become a winning program again, we need bring back the swag, cockiness and confidence in the players.

When did DP ever say anything even remotely close to this?

I have seen in numerous places where he said our players need to get back to paying attention to details, practicing harder, taking better care of the ball, team "culture" stuff like that.

He may have even said something about improved preparation breeding confidence.

But I am willing to bet that DP has never, ever used the word "swag."

gmu05

Starter
Paulsen has stated numerous times that to help become a winning program again, we need bring back the swag, cockiness and confidence in the players... which a huge part of it comes from winning games. To be able to achieve that, we need an easy schedule. This tournament is just that. Most of our already schedules OOC games are pretty weak. I wouldn't be surprised if the rest are weak as well.

Scheduling easy is all part of the rebuilding equation.

That strategy worked real well for Hewitt after his back to back 20+ win seasons that felt empty to pretty much every fan...

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
When did DP ever say anything even remotely close to this?

I have seen in numerous places where he said our players need to get back to paying attention to details, practicing harder, taking better care of the ball, team "culture" stuff like that.

He may have even said something about improved preparation breeding confidence.

But I am willing to bet that DP has never, ever used the word "swag."

I never used quotation so it wasn't an exact phrase. But I do remember hearing him say winning games will help bring back confidence.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So, Houston finished with an RPI of 88 last season. Their leading scorer, Rob Gray Jr. (16 pts) was a sophomore. They also return four of their top five scorers, including Damyean Dotson (13.9 pts).

Houston will not be a pushover team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
I'm afraid what I said was unclear so I will clarify. I did not mean in any way, shape, or form that Houston is weak. They are not an easy victory. What I'm saying, and what most everybody agrees with, is the mental side of things where we need to EXPECT excellence. It's a mindset and I believe DP, Otis, Abram, JG, etc. have it. I was not trying to give the impression that Houston was an easy win or we do not have those that expect excellence (I'm a huge DP fan).

GMUSig03

All-Conference
So, Houston finished with an RPI of 88 last season. Their leading scorer, Rob Gray Jr. (16 pts) was a sophomore. They also return four of their top five scorers, including Damyean Dotson (13.9 pts).

Houston will not be a pushover team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Houston is primed for a trip to the NCAA's. I'm actually glad we are guaranteed to play what will likely be the top team in the tournament.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I expect excellence, but I also know, realistically, we may be another 2+ seasons away from it.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I expect excellence, but I also know, realistically, we may be another 2+ seasons away from it.

Barring something unforeseen -- either positive or negative -- we should be ready to make a legit run at the A-10 title in 2018-19.

While I doubt that all 12 of the guys currently on our roster will still be Patriots by then, we figure to have one hell of an experienced team: Otis' class will be seniors and the current incoming freshmen will be juniors.

If you could bet on this kind of thing, I'd put down $100 on Otis as A-10 POY as a senior. Can't see him graduating from Mason without one trip to the dance.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Barring something unforeseen -- either positive or negative -- we should be ready to make a legit run at the A-10 title in 2018-19.

While I doubt that all 12 of the guys currently on our roster will still be Patriots by then, we figure to have one hell of an experienced team: Otis' class will be seniors and the current incoming freshmen will be juniors.

If you could bet on this kind of thing, I'd put down $100 on Otis as A-10 POY as a senior. Can't see him graduating from Mason without one trip to the dance.

There may be a better point guard in the A10, but there is nobody I would rather have as the point guard at Mason than Otis.