News George Mason will play in 2016 Gulf Coast Showcase

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"George Mason will play in 2016 Gulf Coast Showcase" by Alan Kelly

At long last, the identity of George Mason’s 2016 early-season tournament has been revealed, as the Gulf Coast Showcase announced their field today. The Patriots join Vermont, Wofford, Bradley, Kent State, South Dakota, Houston, and old CAA rival Hofstra in the 8-team team field. The tournament will be played November 21-23 (the week of Thanksgiving). George Mason’s […]

Continue reading...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Semi exciting...Can we create a streak of making the championship game of pre season tourneys? I think we can win this one.

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Hopefully there will at least be streaming options available for these games since I doubt there will be any TV coverage. I'd even pony up $10 for an all tournament online streaming pass.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The games were streamed via YouTube last year. I'm not clear on whether there was a charge or not.

bigchezz

Recruit
How'd we end up in this JV tournament? Was it due to our coaching staff change?

My understanding. Deal with ESPN from after final four was up. Last few years didn't help with getting re-upped. We weren't going to play in a tourney at all but this one needed a team/teams to fill bracket.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's a different kind of tournament, and there's no sexy Power 5 matchups, but I think the whole point of the Gulf Coast Showcase is to create some sneaky good RPI boosts for participants.

This is definitely a delayed result of the former coach's disaster, but let's make lemonade and win the darn thing.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's a different kind of tournament, and there's no sexy Power 5 matchups, but I think the whole point of the Gulf Coast Showcase is to create some sneaky good RPI boosts for participants.

This is definitely a delayed result of the former coach's disaster, but let's make lemonade and win the darn thing.

someone reads too many Rothsteinisms :D #OTC

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
We shouldn't *try* to win this. We should *expect* to win this. Not beating the Woffords and South Dakotas of the world is inexcusable. I don't care if we start the second team from the Omega Mu sorority, we should win.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would hope we win this. Not a lot of luster to this tourney. Quite the opposite, imo.

Not a whole lot going on near the arena though (nice outlet mall maybe). I'd stay in Naples where all the good food is (and a really nice rum bar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Anyone who says we SHOULD beat Houston with at least 10 freshmen and sophomores on our roster must not follow college basketball very closely.

Houston is not a bad team by any means. It would be a very good win for us and give us a shot to win the title.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Anyone who says we SHOULD beat Houston with at least 10 freshmen and sophomores on our roster must not follow college basketball very closely.

Houston is not a bad team by any means. It would be a very good win for us and give us a shot to win the title.

We're in the A10, let's start acting like it. Unless Houston has Olajuwon, Drexler, Young, Anders, and Gettis we SHOULD be expected to win!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We're in the A10, let's start acting like it. Unless Houston has Olajuwon, Drexler, Young, Anders, and Gettis we SHOULD be expected to win!

Houston is in the AAC, which is an equal to the A-10 by every conceivable measure.

I have no idea who they have returning/coming in next season, but with the youth of our roster, there's no way it's a game we should count as an automatic W.

gmu05

Starter

We are rebuilding from a disastrous staff that left the roster with holes everywhere. Fine be a cheerleader but some of us are trying to have a real discussion.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Just a heads up Houston is no Joke. They went 22-10 last year and made the NIT. And their roster consists of mostly Redshirt Seniors and Juniors.

I'm shocked we have to play them in the first round, but if we can pull that win off, it will be a huge RPI boost.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Given our roster and inexperience, Houston will be a tall order. Even if we lose, we'll have the chance to feed off the other smaller schools. I expect early season struggles but as the freshmen and sophomores gain needed experience, we will be a better team going into our A10 schedule