George Mason vs. St. Joe's - Help Needed

GMUheckler

Preferred Walk-On
Yeah, that's not fair, the students were pretty loud.
To be fair too many opposing team's fans seem more into the game than GMU fans. Maybe its because the visitors are in the big city but for Christ sakes this team plays like their fan base. I remember a few years back the NE fans came in and took over the place they only had maybe 25 fans but they ended up being louder than the Patriots.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
As the Chank said, your criticism is not fair. Our students and the rest of the crowd got into the game. I think you are focusing on when we are shooting free throws and our fans get so quiet. That is the only time I really heard their fans at all.

That is easy to do, and one of my favorite things about going on road games. You can be a one man cheering section when the home team is shooting free throws. During our @Delaware games I used to accept text based requests from those watching the games on TV. Then we would see if they could hear it on the TV coverage and they almost always could.

That brings up another issue. I have always thought it was not a good idea to get so quiet during our home team free throws. I think we should do a low rumble to generate some white noise when we are shooting free throws at home so that visitors don't get that advantage.

The only time I recall seeing an opposing fan base out-cheer our home crowd in the last decade outside of when our team is shooting free throws was once or twice in a vcu game, maybe once in an ODU game and a couple times (years and years ago) during a JMU game when they used to get almost as many fans at the games as we did.

Scythe

Starter
I'd assume making noise during a free throw is better than being dead quiet. I still don't understand the quiet thing -- it makes the player nervous and gives the visiting team's fans an advantage.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I'd assume making noise during a free throw is better than being dead quiet. I still don't understand the quiet thing -- it makes the player nervous and gives the visiting team's fans an advantage.

I'm not a scientist, but I believe that your assumption is incorrect. IMO, a loud continuous noise actually makes its easier for the visiting player to more effectively shoot FT's by enhancing his focus and reducing his anxiety.

Scythe

Starter
I'm not a scientist, but I believe that your assumption is incorrect. IMO, a loud continuous noise actually makes its easier for the visiting player to more effectively shoot FT's by enhancing his focus and reducing his anxiety.

I'd agree, but only if there wasn't opposing team fans yelling out randomly in the middle of the silence which is the norm and therefore more distracting (at least in my mind).

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I've always found it funny that baseball players can hit a 95mph-fastball with 50,000 people screaming, but golfers need complete silence to hit a stationary ball. I've also never understood why fans need to be quiet during a tennis match or when a player is shooting a FT.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this too. When it gets quiet I always think of the scene from Happy Gilmore where hes like "Come on make a little noise".

OP
Flap

Flap

Recruit
Hey all, not sure if you noticed but we have sort of a problem with our own squad these days. Yea, we pretty much got our doors blown off AT HOME to our most hated rival, nova, this past weekend. That was right after losing at temple, a very winnable game.

So I don't know how many Hawk fans will still be willing to make the trip to GMU by January 11th - we shall see.

But regardless, I appreciate you all taking the time to give us some suggestions. Please consider coming up to Philly when your guys play us on Hawk Hill next year. Great college hoops atmosphere, and if our guys keep it up tickets will be easy to get.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and all that. Good luck to G-Mason.

THWND