George Mason vs. St. Joe's - Help Needed

Flap

Recruit
Hi Patriot fans - first, welcome to the A10! Many fans (particularly a Hawk fan like me) are very excited to have your program join our conference - it was an excellent addition and I am hoping it lasts for a while in these unstable days of college hoop.

Main purpose I stopped by - some Hawks fans and I are organizing a pre game get together for our game on January 11th at your place - and we are looking for a good, fun watering hole within walking distance to the arena.

Any suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

The Hawk Will Never Die.

Scythe

Starter
Brion's is a good place to swing by, and right across the street from the Patriot Center. Also welcome to our boards :D

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
To add to everyone else's point - Brion's is right across the street from the Pat Dome - and you can meet a bunch of Mason fans as well.

If you want something a bit more subdued - The George Mason Inn and Conference Center has a good restaurant and Bar and it is on Campus.

If you want a good meal before heading over to Brion's and drink - there is a great Thai Restaurant in the University Mall - you can walk to it and Brion's because they are both in the University Mall.

Feel free to say hi - if you run short of seats - I might have two open ones in Section 114 rows A and FF.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
University Mall is the strip mall across the street from the Pat Center (walking distance) that has Brions Grille and Fat Tuesdays.

I would recommend Brions first since this is Mason's go to bar for pre and post game beers. Its a bar dedicated to Mason BBall and will have our more friendly, knowledge-able Mason BBall fans there for you all to meet and talk with. The beers are reasonable and the food is good.

If Brions is too packed then walk downstairs to Fat Tuesdays. Fats is a New Orleans themed bar and is a little less packed than Brions. Their happy hour is very cheap for beers before the game and they usually have cheap food specials but don't let that fool you as their food is pretty good.

If you all call up Brions and say that you are a St. Joes fan who is looking to reserve a table or two or three for your fans they will usually accommodate you all. Ask to speak to Brion.

We welcome you to Fairfax and hope to lay the smack down on your team with our warmest regards.

OP
Flap

Flap

Recruit
Hi all - thanks very much for the suggestions and opinions - keep em coming please!

FYI - here is a link to our board / the George Mason game thread that I created on this same topic......

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=439&f=4542&t=12385595&sto=MS_150656318

As we get closer to our matchup maybe we can get some banter, team breakdowns, insight, etc. going between the two sites and fanbases.

Really looking forward to seeing my first ever Pats-Hawks game live and on your campus.

Regarding the Hawk - yes can NEVER stop flapping as long as you've got the costume on. I'm an old retired flapper but will never forget my time doing it - was an honor - some of the best times of my life for sure.

Good luck to the Patriots except on January 11th of course.

THWND

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I know most of the posters on this board are too young to remember that St. Joe's only Final Four appearance (1961) was vacated due to a point-shaving scandal - see
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1072519/1/index.htm.

Interestingly, former Mason head coach Paul Westhead was a senior on the team (which lost to Ohio State in the national semifinals), although he was not involved in the scandal.

Last edited:

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I know most of the posters on this board are too young to remember that St. Joe's only Final Four appearance (1961) was vacated due to a point-shaving scandal - see http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1072519/2/index.htm. Interestingly, former Mason head coach Paul Westhead was a senior on the team (which lost to Ohio State in the national semifinals), although he was not involved in the scandal.

If there is anything we know about Westhead, it is that he doesn't shave points...