News George Mason student produces Final 4 documentary

hoops10

Sixth Man
If u were there for that magical run you felt so much pride to be part of the university. I can remember the excitement at Brions Grill to watch the games. Every Mason basket was wildly cheered. I had such a rush. It truly was an unforgetable event and time. You were hugging people you didn't even know. Just, you had to be there.

I guess that's why it is so hard to accept where we are now. You so much want to relive that moment. It was amazing.

So I hope some day we return to that time, when you couldn't wait for the next home game. Realistically, I know its going to take change and regretably time. But ill still watch our guys and hope for the best.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Great documentary. I remember coming back to campus after watching the UNC game and driving on Patriot circle yelling out the window and getting looks. Sure enough that evening was a somewhat quiet pep rally in the Patriot Center with maybe 1500 people. Little did we know what that week would be like with the media, camping out in the Field House and the craze in general. I'm proud to say I lived it.

Hopefully with new leadership, and a new league, it will create a new era of successes for the team. Not necessarily a Final Four (because lets face it, its close to impossible), but hopefully a lot of wins and they'll get back to the NCAA tournament soon.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Also up for debate is if Lamar Butler's career warrants a jersey retirement....I say no. If I were forced to pick someones jersey to retire from that final 4 group it would be Will Thomas.
I see your point but the 4 point play against UCONN was huge. It was at that point that I thought we might actually beat UCONN.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Totally agree with comment about the Denham Brown shot being in slow motion....The longest 5 seconds of my life with the next week being a complete blur. I remember running around the Verizon Center and hugging more people I didn't know that day than the rest of my life. But that's the nostalgic side of me....

The other side wants to punch Merten and TOC. It also notices the 2 people not in the video. Our 2 most recent head coaches....The really cynical side of me views the video as almost a propaganda tool. Trying to point out and say "Oh, it's not so bad."

KAOriginal

All-American
Also up for debate is if Lamar Butler's career warrants a jersey retirement....I say no. If I were forced to pick someones jersey to retire from that final 4 group it would be Will Thomas.

We need to have criteria for the honor. For instance, I know UNC has some criteria like National Player of the Year, or 4 time conference POY ......point is, you have to set a criteria that a Mason could achieve to be considered Ann all time great.... to avoid "the debate."

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
You could be correct, although it certainly would surprise me if he turned down the opportunity to participate in a documentary about his greatest coaching achievement.
IIRC, he did attempt to reach out to Larrañaga and was unsuccessful. Perhaps the message never made it all the way to the man himself.

Dawgs99

Starter
We need to have criteria for the honor. For instance, I know UNC has some criteria like National Player of the Year, or 4 time conference POY ......point is, you have to set a criteria that a Mason could achieve to be considered Ann all time great.... to avoid "the debate."

This is really the way to go....def. makes things easier. To be clear I really like Lamar and what he was able to accomplish on the basektball court, I just think that having your jersey retired in basketball is the highest honor and should be reserved for only the all time greats.

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It's hard to determine who should get a # retired... which is why we should have a Ring of Honor... and I'm not talking about the pictures of NIT and NCAA T Teams in the Patriot center hallways.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

For starters: what about one criteria being you have to be on a team that plays in the NCAAT. Either that, or you have to be on a conference championship team.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
For starters: what about one criteria being you have to be on a team that plays in the NCAAT. Either that, or you have to be on a conference championship team.

That's ridiculous. Carlos Yates was the best player ever to wear a Mason uniform, but you want to penalize him because he played when we were in a one-bid conference? It's not his fault he was at Mason when David Robinson was at Navy and Johnny Newman was at Richmond.

Last edited:

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
That's ridiculous. Carlos Yates was the best player ever to wear a Mason uniform, but you want leave him off the team because he played when we were in a one-bid conference? It's not his fault he was at Mason when David Robinson was at Navy and Johnny Newman was at Richmond.

Easy there, I was just throwing out an idea.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
This is really the way to go....def. makes things easier. To be clear I really like Lamar and what he was able to accomplish on the basektball court, I just think that having your jersey retired in basketball is the highest honor and should be reserved for only the all time greats.

How about making the cover of Sports Illustrated as a criterion? Would be a very short list.

Yates, Sanders, Evans and maybe even Rose should all go in before any of the Final Four players.

If you search Mason's HOF it appears Rudolph Jones is already a HoFer.

If I'm putting in the Final Four Starters, my order goes: Thomas, Butler, Campbell, Lewis, Skinn. And I don't know that I put all 5 in on their own