Game 8: GMU (3-4) vs Hofstra (6-2) on Wednesday, November 30, at 7:00 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ken Pom: Gives us a 61% chance of winning.
GMU - 130
Hofstra - 125

We welcome an old CAA rival back to EBA. The Pride were picked to finish 2nd in the CAA this year behind Towson. Redshirt senior Aaron Estrada was named the CAA Preseason Player of the Year. Darlinstone Dubar was named to the Honorable Mention Team.

Mason is 15-8 against Hofstra all-time.

Hofstra is currently 6-2 on the season. They are 2-0 at home, 2-1 on the road, and 2-1 at neutral sites.

Wins: Princeton (83-77), Iona (83-78), GW (85-80), San Jose St. (85-76), UNC Greensboro (65-53), Quinnipiac (72-70)
Losses: St. Mary’s (76-48), Middle Tennessee (64-54)

Schedule: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule?path=mbball
Roster: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022/pdf

Hofstra is led by 6’3” Aaron Estrada (20.5 ppg & 5.4 reb). This young man can flat out go off, his season high is 33 against GW. 6’3” Tyler Thomas (12.0 ppg) and 6’8” Darlinstone Dunbar (11.3 ppg & 5.9 reb) are also main contributors. 6’8” Nelson Boachie-Yiadom (4.6 ppg) has started every game for the Pride. 6’0” Jaquan Carlos (7.0 ppg) and 6’4” Bryce Washington ( 2.0 ppg) have also stared for Hofstra. 6’6” German Plotnikov (5.4 ppg), and 6’4” Amar’e Marshall (7.9 ppg) play double digit minutes for Hofstra.

The Pride average 71.9 points per game while giving up 71.8. Hofstra is shooting 46.0% from the floor and 37.8% from 3. Opponents are shooting 44.7% from the field and 35.9% from 3. The Pride have been out rebounded by their opponents by 5.7 boards thus far. They shoot 77.5 % from the charity stripe and have averaged 11.8 turnovers to date.

The game is on MASN2.

My prediction: Captain Obvious reports that if you limit/shut down Estrada your chances of winning increase. That being said I’ve had better luck picking Mason to lose. Hofstra 72 - GMU 71.

Discuss.

Attachments

• B17005FB-63DB-48FF-A524-EC8DC8A43A60.jpeg
    B17005FB-63DB-48FF-A524-EC8DC8A43A60.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 6,342
Last edited:

phoenix-arizona

All-American
I am sad for Hofstra--it sucks that the 2020 team wasn't able to play in the NCAA tournament and the school was not able to end their drought. I hope they at least got to hang a CAA regular season/tournament champion banner.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hofstra is currently playing in the 2022 Northern Classic. I will update everything after their game on 11/27.

Ken Pom: Gives us a 61% chance of winning.
GMU - 130
Hofstra - 124

We welcome an old CAA rival back to EBA. The Pride were picked to finish 2nd in the CAA this year behind Towson. Redshirt senior Aaron Estrada was named the CAA Preseason Player of the Year. Darlinstone Dubar was named to the Honorable Mention Team.

Mason is 15-8 against Hofstra all-time.

Hofstra is currently 5-2 on the season. They are 2-0 at home, 2-1 on the road, and 1-1 at neutral sites.

Wins: Princeton (83-77), Iona (83-78), GW (85-80), San Jose St. (85-76), UNC Greensboro (65-53)
Losses: St. Mary’s (76-48), Middle Tennessee (64-54)

Schedule: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule?path=mbball
Roster: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster?path=mbball
Stats: https://gohofstra.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022/pdf

Hofstra is led by 6’3” Aaron Estrada (19.3 ppg & 5.3 reb). This young man can flat out go off, his season high is 33 against GW. 6’3” Tyler Thomas (12.6 ppg) and 6’8” Darlinstone Dunbar (10.7 ppg & 6.1 reb) are also main contributors. 6’8” Nelson Boachie-Yiadom (5.0 ppg) has started every game for the Pride. 6’0” Jaquan Carlos (6.0 ppg) and 6’4” Bryce Washington ( 2.5 ppg) have also stared for Hofstra. 6’6” German Plotnikov (6.1 ppg), and 6’4” Amar’e Marshall (8.7 ppg) play double digit minutes for Hofstra.

The Pride average 71.9 points per game while giving up 72.0. Hofstra is shooting 46.6% from the floor and 36.1% from 3. Opponents are shooting 45.5% from the field and 34.7% from 3. The Pride have been out rebounded by their opponents by 4.4 boards thus far. They shoot 77.7 % from the charity stripe and have averaged 11.9 turnovers to date.

The game is on MASN2.

My prediction: Captain Obvious reports that if you limit/shut down Estrada your chances of winning increase. That being said I’ve had better luck picking Mason to lose. Hofstra 72 - GMU 71.

Discuss.
WE are favored!!!???
Oh, that's right, we just took down Queens.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Hofstra beats previously unbeaten Quinnipiac 72-70 on a neutral court today. Estrada with 29 on 4-6 shooting from 3. Hofstra was 12-25 from 3 for the game.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Everything updated. Can't stress enough we have to limit Estrada. He can carry them.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I'm preparing for a 20 loss season. I'm hoping for 20 win season.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Estrada is really good shooting 52% from the field, 78% from the line and 40% from 3. The guy flat out scores the basketball and needs to be defended heavily as his supporting cast isn't great. Thomas and a Ticket-like Dubar are the two other options. Their best big man is former Davidson 10th man Nelson Boachie Yiadom that could barely find mins last year behind Mennenga and Brajovich. Hopefully Oduro snaps out of his funk/regression and can dominate because that is our only advantage with how our guards have been playing/shooting.

Hofstra really isn't that good but they are better than the BC, Belmont, and Buffalo's of the world...

Mason by 3

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Estrada is really good shooting 52% from the field, 78% from the line and 40% from 3. The guy flat out scores the basketball and needs to be defended heavily as his supporting cast isn't great. Thomas and a Ticket-like Dubar are the two other options. Their best big man is former Davidson 10th man Nelson Boachie Yiadom that could barely find mins last year behind Mennenga and Brajovich. Hopefully Oduro snaps out of his funk/regression and can dominate because that is our only advantage with how our guards have been playing/shooting.

Hofstra really isn't that good but they are better than the BC, Belmont, and Buffalo's of the world...

Mason by 3
Let's see how Ronnie handles Estrada. Other than the BC game (when Polite may have not been @100%), he's been very good this year - on both sides of the ball. He's got a steal in every game, is shooting over 55% from the field, and has more assists than TOs (not the >2:1 ratio you want to see but not the sieve our other guys have been).

I thought Polite was a whiff and vastly unprepared, based on what we saw during his freshman campaign, but it's undeniable he has made huge strides. Just look at his progression across virtually every category. While his playing time has increased by ~60% he is doubling his production offensively and defensively.

You can trash him all you want, but he's progressing while the rest of our guys are regressing. How's this for a thought experiment: if Polite continues to improve at this rate next year we may see him put up 14-15 pts per game, 4-5 boards, 5-6 assists, 40% from deep, 2 steals.

In other words, a very capable A10 PG and a key asset for the Patriots.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Let's see how Ronnie handles Estrada. Other than the BC game (when Polite may have not been @100%), he's been very good this year - on both sides of the ball. He's got a steal in every game, is shooting over 55% from the field, and has more assists than TOs (not the >2:1 ratio you want to see but not the sieve our other guys have been).

I thought Polite was a whiff and vastly unprepared, based on what we saw during his freshman campaign, but it's undeniable he has made huge strides. Just look at his progression across virtually every category. While his playing time has increased by ~60% he is doubling his production offensively and defensively.

You can trash him all you want, but he's progressing while the rest of our guys are regressing. How's this for a thought experiment: if Polite continues to improve at this rate next year we may see him put up 14-15 pts per game, 4-5 boards, 5-6 assists, 40% from deep, 2 steals.

In other words, a very capable A10 PG and a key asset for the Patriots.
I would imagine CKE won’t be having Polite guard Estrada just like he didn’t “shut down” Dye (he barley guarded him). Having more steals doesn’t necessarily mean improvement on defense. I’m not sure how many wide open threes Ronnie’s guys have to hit for some folks to realize that. Fake a screen on Ronnie and somebody on that play is scoring. This is the exact same scenario as Oduro improving blocks per game and folks calling him a great defender last year (hint he wasn’t).

He has massively improved offensively stats wise and could be even better if any of our 3 shooters could actually shoot. And if Oduro could make a layup without fading away and clanking off the backboard. He has played really well in 3 games against really bad teams. Hofstra is the third best team we have seen this year (even if they aren’t that great). So you are right let’s see how he does. Ronnie did well offensively but struggled heavily defensively against Auburn and was the worst player on the court against BC. Go Mason!

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
According to CKE in Coaches Show, Ronnie wasn't 100% vs BC. Also, regarding that same Coaches Show, I thought it was odd they didnt talk about the losses in depth vs how they focused on beating Queens. Smh. Would be nice to hear why he thought we shit the bed in St Thomas. Oh Well.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
According to CKE in Coaches Show, Ronnie wasn't 100% vs BC. Also, regarding that same Coaches Show, I thought it was odd they didnt talk about the losses in depth vs how they focused on beating Queens. Smh. Would be nice to hear why he thought we shit the bed in St Thomas. Oh Well.

We need to get the Iranian press corp out to the coach's show

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Two of my high school kids have games tomorrow so giving away my tickets - no charge If for Mason fans.

4 tickets, Section 117, Row AA that I can transfer to the first taker via electronic transfer.
I also have 4 Gold Room passes but you would have to drive to Herndon to pickup at my office.

Anyone want them?

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I would imagine CKE won’t be having Polite guard Estrada just like he didn’t “shut down” Dye (he barley guarded him). Having more steals doesn’t necessarily mean improvement on defense. I’m not sure how many wide open threes Ronnie’s guys have to hit for some folks to realize that. Fake a screen on Ronnie and somebody on that play is scoring. This is the exact same scenario as Oduro improving blocks per game and folks calling him a great defender last year (hint he wasn’t).

He has massively improved offensively stats wise and could be even better if any of our 3 shooters could actually shoot. And if Oduro could make a layup without fading away and clanking off the backboard. He has played really well in 3 games against really bad teams. Hofstra is the third best team we have seen this year (even if they aren’t that great). So you are right let’s see how he does. Ronnie did well offensively but struggled heavily defensively against Auburn and was the worst player on the court against BC. Go Mason!
How did Polite struggle defensively against Auburn? We were burned by their bigs; not their guards. Look at the stats. Outside of the BC game, Ronnie hasn't turned the ball over. Fact.

RP will be guarding Estrada and I think he rises to the occassion. If I'm wrong I will be the first to admit. Polite made things hard on GW's Bishop (a lefthanded ball dominant guard) and I think he'll do the same with Estrada.

You are correct that Polite's numbers would be even better had we converted our open looks, but you are underestimating him. He's on the rise. Not 1st team A10 but a servicable PG. Seems obvious to me.