Game 6: Manhattan College, Saturday, Nov 29th, 4 PM, NO TV

KAOriginal

All-American
I thought it was his usual "survey the court one last time to figure out who and what to blame in the presser" stance.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Yes, the tens of people, who were there, would have screeched at PC!

Clever exaggeration for effect! Nevertheless, I'd estimate that no more than 20% of the people in my section had left early; those of us "loyalists" that remained were jumping, high-fiving, and cheering. Would have taken a brave group of 3 refs to reverse the call and incur the wrath of the crowd. Indeed, I think the video was inconclusive and ambiguous enough to make the initial call very difficult to reverse.

Has anyone seen a link for the post game press conference? I know there was a short on court interview with Jenkins and then Hewitt at the end of the post game extra, but I haven't come across the formal press conference that usually is posted.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Did anyone notice the play in the second half where Copes had the ball, and the Manhattan kid went down as if he was elbowed. The ref blew the play dead, did not make a call, but went straight to the video to see if Copes connected, thus triggering a flagrant foul. After several minutes the call was a simple foul on Copes. I'm not even sure that should have been an option. You can't review a foul call, so it either should have been a flagrant foul for an elbow or it should have been Mason's ball side out of bounds. Am I wrong? Anyone else remember it differently?

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Did anyone notice the play in the second half where Copes had the ball, and the Manhattan kid went down as if he was elbowed. The ref blew the play dead, did not make a call, but went straight to the video to see if Copes connected, thus triggering a flagrant foul. After several minutes the call was a simple foul on Copes. I'm not even sure that should have been an option. You can't review a foul call, so it either should have been a flagrant foul for an elbow or it should have been Mason's ball side out of bounds. Am I wrong? Anyone else remember it differently?

If I recall correctly, the ref called the foul on Copes and then went to the monitor. But, if he hadn't, you are correct that the only options would be a flagrant 2, flagrant, 1, or no foul.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
While chatting on the concourse after the game, a cheerleader (one of the males) came around and thanked us for supporting the program. That came out of no where but it was a nice touch.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I gotta a bad feeling Lockett might not see the floor the rest of the season. :(

That would suck to lose him but the one positive is he would be less inclined to transfer if he is redshirted this year. Does anybody know if he is still within that window to get a medical redshirt?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That would suck to lose him but the one positive is he would be less inclined to transfer if he is redshirted this year. Does anybody know if he is still within that window to get a medical redshirt?

I think he would be as I believe (don't quote me) there is a rule that you can play a few games and if you get hurt, still get a medical redshirt. I believe Paris Bennett and Vertrail Vaughns played a few games their freshman year, before taking a redshirt as they got hurt.

For a student-athlete to receive a Medical Hardship Waiver per Bylaw 14.2.4, the following four conditions must be met:
  • The student-athlete may not have participated in more than two contests or dates of competition or 20 percent of the team's completed contests/dates of competition.
  • The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the season.
  • The injury or illness does not have to occur during practice/competition, but it must be incapacitating.
  • Appropriate medical documentation must exist and be provided
Mason just played game #6 (and Lockett did not play) so if he doesn't play again, he'd be under the 20%. Redshirt granted.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
At this point, wouldn't it be in our best interest if Lockett and Mayimba both redshirted this year? We obviously don't know how good either one of them is going to be, but it would pretty much ensure that they would be here all four years even if Hewitt is let go.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
At this point, wouldn't it be in our best interest if Lockett and Mayimba both redshirted this year? We obviously don't know how good either one of them is going to be, but it would pretty much ensure that they would be here all four years even if Hewitt is let go.
I agree, but Hewitt probably isn't looking at 3 years from now. He probably figures if either of these two can help him win games now in hopes of keeping his job, they will play. Who knows if that is true, but that's my guess.