Game 6: GMU (4-1) vs Norfolk St. (3-3) on Saturday, December 26, at 4PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know I have been quiet on here and mostly reacting on twitter. That said I just rewatched the game, and I'm pretty embarrassed to be a fan/alumni of the school/program once again. I thought losing to Cornell in 2014-2015 would be the lowest, but I think this has become even lower.

When Paulsen came on board, we were promised a program that we would all have fun rooting for, that would NOT beat itself, and that would make us proud on and off the court. Who can forget, lets hang banners? Here we are in year 6, with the team that Dave proclaimed to be his "best team" even though they were preseason #10, and they just choked a game away to Norfolk State.

Let that sit with you a second. Norfolk State. A MEAC school.

In years past when Mason lost buy games, I'd say shit happens. Vermont won. W&M won. Mt St Mary's won. All early games and I said hey its early, but I think Dave is going to get this right. f**k was I wrong, and I'm sorry.

But here we are, in year 6, and I watch Mason choke away a 13 point lead with all the things I was told wouldn't happen. I see guys chucking the ball out of bounds. Our Center not being helped on the perimeter and just chucking a three pointer. Norfolk State hustling down the floor off a rebound and our guys looking confused at how fast they ran. Many of these guys have had significant minutes of division1 basketball under their belt, and somehow they regressed a lot today.

It isn't acceptable. Games like this get coaches fired, and this has to be the end of the road for Dave if they dont' make it out of the PIG this year. It is one thing to lose to Belmont (although pretty crappy, especially since they blew that game too, thats more of an equivalent program although they are better at this point), but Norfolk State.

Hell no. f**k that. #FirePaulsen.

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know I have been quiet on here and mostly reacting on twitter. That said I just rewatched the game, and I'm pretty embarrassed to be a fan/alumni of the school/program once again. I thought losing to Cornell in 2014-2015 would be the lowest, but I think this has become even lower.

When Paulsen came on board, we were promised a program that we would all have fun rooting for, that would NOT beat itself, and that would make us proud on and off the court. Who can forget, lets hang banners? Here we are in year 6, with the team that Dave proclaimed to be his "best team" even though they were preseason #10, and they just choked a game away to Norfolk State.

Let that sit with you a second. Norfolk State. A MEAC school.

In years past when Mason lost buy games, I'd say shit happens. Vermont won. W&M won. Mt St Mary's won. All early games and I said hey its early, but I think Dave is going to get this right. f*ck was I wrong, and I'm sorry.

But here we are, in year 6, and I watch Mason choke away a 13 point lead with all the things I was told wouldn't happen. I see guys chucking the ball out of bounds. Our Center not being helped on the perimeter and just chucking a three pointer. Norfolk State hustling down the floor off a rebound and our guys looking confused at how fast they ran. Many of these guys have had significant minutes of division1 basketball under their belt, and somehow they regressed a lot today.

It isn't acceptable. Games like this get coaches fired, and this has to be the end of the road for Dave if they dont' make it out of the PIG this year. It is one thing to lose to Belmont (although pretty crappy, especially since they blew that game too, thats more of an equivalent program although they are better at this point), but Norfolk State.

Hell no. f*ck that. #FirePaulsen.
You summed it up well. Not much else to be said on it, we are reaching a new low.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
@Patriotsince81 if you can broker a phone call, submitting a video for some assistance (they’ve raised over 6 mill for restaurants like brions) might be a great move Brion. That place looked rough tonight. Jack sticks still good but the burger was 10x worse than I’ve ever had at Brions
If they are interested in applying let me know @Patriotsince81 , got some connections to the VA 30 day fund (charity that barstool is supporting through this) and can get them in the right direction on the application and all that jazz.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/...jhxpi5m23xbgigkri-story.html#icb-arc-story-id:

"With many schedules regionalized to limit air travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, NSU picked up wins over James Madison and Radford before a home loss to Old Dominion.

Saturday’s game, the Spartans’ final non-conference tuneup, brought in a COVID-limited $20,000 payday. James Madison paid NSU $10,000 and covered hotel rooms.

'It was supposed to be a guaranteed check for us and a guaranteed win for them, and we negated that twice this year already,' Spartans coach Robert Jones said.

'That might continue the trend of Virginia teams not playing us once COVID is over. But hey, for right now, we can definitely relish winning three out of four against Virginia teams that normally wouldn’t play us at all.'”

Last edited:

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Pablo

Hall of Famer
What would your optimal lineup look like ? All good to disagree

If I'm starting Javon & Tyler together as you suggest, Tyler is my PG.

Interestingly, Coach L had a similar decision during the 2005-06 Final Four season. He moved Folarin Campbell to the point, & Tony Skinn to the wing.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If I'm starting Javon & Tyler together as you suggest, Tyler is my PG.

Interestingly, Coach L had a similar decision during the 2005-06 Final Four season. He moved Folarin Campbell to the point, & Tony Skinn to the wing.
I like it but I don’t want him facilitating since he is currently the only player on the roster that even looks capable of making three pointers consistently

KONG

Walk-On
I will respectfully disagree with you and the other poster on this.

Agreed. Javon is a major problem here. As a Senior, we should be expecting more. He is capable of playing a John Vaughan type role or more given the lack of experienced guard leadership, but he forces everything instead of letting the game unfold. The careless turnovers are inexcusable; they almost seem deliberate.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
In retrospect, flashing red lights should have gone off for all of us when Paulsen announced the captains for this year’s team.

Two juniors — one a backup — and a senior who hasn’t started consistently since his freshman year. Those are the guys the coaching staff decided are the best leaders among the 13 scholarship players.

The fact that they chose neither AJ nor Javon, who SHOULD be our best players as seniors and preseason second-team all-A10 selections, is very telling after a debacle like yesterday.

This group may have more length, athleticism and versatility than previous Paulsen teams, but it is sorely lacking on-court leadership — and that shows when you literally throw away a 13-point lead in the second half against a MEAC team. A totally self-inflicted gag job if I’ve ever seen one.

Amid the upheaval and disruptions of a global pandemic, the last thing you want your team to be is a rudderless ship. But that sadly appears to be the case...

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
And one of those "Captains" has been suspended. Calixte is ok, but the other two are big time head scratchers. Gotta wonder if there is a deeper issue.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
And one of those "Captains" has been suspended. Calixte is ok, but the other two are big time head scratchers. Gotta wonder if there is a deeper issue.

When 2 of your 3 captains probably won’t even be on the floor at the end of close games, yeah I’d say there is a deeper issue.

Pathetic. This is now worse than the Hewitt era. Paulsen should've been fired on the court yesterday. At least Hewitt had good players, just couldn't coach them. This guy can't coach and can't recruit.

Thank God I didn't have to donate my annual donation to gold room nor buy season tickets. This team blows.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
In retrospect, flashing red lights should have gone off for all of us when Paulsen announced the captains for this year’s team.

Two juniors — one a backup — and a senior who hasn’t started consistently since his freshman year. Those are the guys the coaching staff decided are the best leaders among the 13 scholarship players.

The fact that they chose neither AJ nor Javon, who SHOULD be our best players as seniors and preseason second-team all-A10 selections, is very telling after a debacle like yesterday.

This group may have more length, athleticism and versatility than previous Paulsen teams, but it is sorely lacking on-court leadership — and that shows when you literally throw away a 13-point lead in the second half against a MEAC team. A totally self-inflicted gag job if I’ve ever seen one.

Amid the upheaval and disruptions of a global pandemic, the last thing you want your team to be is a rudderless ship. But that sadly appears to be the case...

While I agree with you, the fact of the matter is that you don't have to be designated as captains to be leaders. And, this is what AJ and Javon need to be for this team to succeed. Because, IMO, there is sufficient talent and experience on this team to contend in the A10.

It isn't acceptable. Games like this get coaches fired, and this has to be the end of the road for Dave if they dont' make it out of the PIG this year.

Oh I think he has to do more than get out of the PIG. Top half regular season and if not that improbable run to at least the final 4 of the A10 Tourney.

Its a shame, I wish DP would figure things out because I really am excited to see Polite, Kolek, and a few of the other younger guys play here long term.

I'll definitely still be rooting for 'em/him. But...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oh I think he has to do more than get out of the PIG. Top half regular season and if not that improbable run to at least the final 4 of the A10 Tourney.

Its a shame, I wish DP would figure things out because I really am excited to see Polite, Kolek, and a few of the other younger guys play here long term.

I'll definitely still be rooting for 'em/him. But...

I'm glad they are raising the bar in order to get an extension, if that is true. My biggest fear is mediocrity+covid=more time.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I'm not a Dave Paulsen fan, but I'm willing to wait until the end of the season before judging whether he should be terminated next March. The team is not playing well (despite the 4-2 record), but there's plenty of time to turn things around and contend for an A10 championship.

Let's be honest, yesterday's terrible game should never have been scheduled in the first place. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars to hold a game the day after Christmas for 202 people to attend? These are not pro athletes, nor was the game nationally televised.

I'm not a Dave Paulsen fan, but I'm willing to wait until the end of the season before judging whether he should be terminated next March. The team is not playing well (despite the 4-2 record), but there's plenty of time to turn things around and contend for an A10 championship.

Let's be honest, yesterday's terrible game should never have been scheduled in the first place. Why spend tens of thousands of dollars to hold a game the day after Christmas for 202 people to attend? These are not pro athletes, nor was the game nationally televised.

Well, they needed games. If they had shown improvement throughout the week it might have been worth it going into A10 play.

Now they would have better off sending 20 dollar stimulus payments to all Mason season ticket holders.

That would have just messed with people's minds...