Game 6: GMU (4-1) vs Norfolk St. (3-3) on Saturday, December 26, at 4PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Norfolk St. is currently 3-3 on the season.

History: This will be the first time GMU has played Norfolk St.

Wins: JMU (83-73), Radford (57-54), Hampton (76-64)
Losses: ODU (80-66), UNC Greensboro (64-47), UNCW (80-72)
Canceled/Postponed: William & Mary, Regent

Schedule: https://nsuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://nsuspartans.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Stats: https://static.nsuspartans.com/custompages/Men's Basketball/2020-21/teamcume.htm

Norfolk St. is led by 6’3” Devante Carter (16.8 ppg & 6.3 reb) and 6’6” Daryl Anderson (9.2 ppg & 3.0 reb). 6’9”, 250 lb. J.J. Mathews (11.7ppg & 4.5 reb) has started 3 of the 6 games for the Spartans. 10 guys play at least 10 minutes for Norfolk St. so depth appears to be a strength.

Norfolk St. averages 66.8 points per game while giving up 69.2. The Spartans are shooting 43.8% from the floor and 40.0% from 3. Opponents are shooting just 36.7% from the field and only 27.6% from 3. They shoot 65.9% from the free throw line. The Spartans are being out rebounded by their opponents by 4.7 boards per game. They average 12.0 turnovers per game.

Jordan Miller, Malik Henry, and Otis Frazier III return from suspension. It will be interesting to see if Miller starts and how much/if the freshmen play.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: Nothing about any performance thus far gives me any confidence. We've barely beaten a bunch of cupcakes. Opponent shooting percentages against NSU are low so they either play good D or have played teams with no skill (see GMU). I’ll have to guess they play some D. I expect a low scoring affair with NSU pulling out the win. Spartans 65 - Patriots 60. Heads explode in Fairfax. Despite the loss DP is given a five year extension for being a nice guy. The “Sleeping Giant” in Fairfax remains in a coma.

Discuss.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Will be interesting to see Miller back in the lineup. Hopefully he is focused as he is our most well-rounded player. We need him to become our number one if we have any chance of being respectable this season (don’t even talk about being top 6 because that’s not happening).

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Jordan Miller, Malik Henry, and Otis Frazier III return from suspension. It will be interesting to see if Miller starts and how much/if the freshmen play.

During the 2002-03 season, Coach L suspended starting center & 1st Team All-CAA Jesse Young for 2 games (victories at ECU & at home vs. Hartford). In the next game (a loss at Pitt), Young played but did not start. In all 3 games, Young was replaced in the starting lineup by Jai Lewis.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Everyone’s saying Miller is back, I thought the suspensions were 3 games?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They are going to be second worse team we have played to Howard. Mason by 15. Javon will be scoring leader

Pablo

Hall of Famer
https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.si...nts/2020/12/23/Game_7_NSU_at_George_Mason.pdf:

"Of the 13 other Division I teams in the state of Virginia, George Mason is the only school NSU has never faced.

• Norfolk State’s defense continues to play tough. The Spartans now rank 18th in the nation in field goal percentage defense (36.7) and 45th in 3-point field goal percentage defense (27.6). They sit first in the MEAC in scoring defense (69.2), field goal percentage defense, and 3-point field goal percentage defense.

• So far this year, five of NSU’s six opponents have been held to less than 40 percent overall shooting. No team has shot better than 32 percent from deep in any game as well.

• On the other side, NSU currently sits 23rd in the nation in 3-point shooting at 40.0 percent. A big reason for that is sophomore Daryl Anderson, who is shooting 14-of-22 (63.6 percent), a mark that would rank fourth in the nation if he had enough makes per game. Kashaun Hicks (8-of-18, 44.4 percent) is second on the team in 3-pointers.

• The Spartans are getting more than 30 points per game from their bench this year. They have outscored all six opponents in bench points, and for the year they are outscoring teams 33.0-16.5 in bench points per game."

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I grew up in the 757... it’s pronounced “Naw f*ck.” Doesn’t make sense I know. Similar to how locals pronounce Lancaster, PA. They’ll say “Lankister.”

Lankister is probably close to how they would say it in England where the accent is on the first syllable and the “er” is more of an “uh” sound.

Naw-f*ck is just southern bastardization of Nuh-f*ck like in England but with the drawn out vowel sounds typical of southern English.

(and thus ends my lecture).

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I also grew up in the 757, but it was 804 then. It's pronounced Naw - fik. And for good measure, Suffolk is Suf - fik. Gloucester is Glaw - ster.
Also from the 757, old man hit the nail on the head.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Norfolk St plays a slower paced game and they aren’t as bad as Towson was defensively, I think this one stays close. Mason by 4, 65-61.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Posted in the ticket exchange but figured it post here as well, have two tickets available for the game today, separate from our seats so you’ll be on your own. Behind opposing bench, solid seats. Must transfer them digitally. Lmk on here or Twitter if interested. Free to @gmujim92 if he makes the drive up so he can come to a game finally.