Game 5: GMU (3-1) at Jacksonville Classic vs South Dakota St. (1-3) on Monday, November 20, at 6:00 PM.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jesus… We finally win an MTE game, have a legit star player who drains a clutch shot to win a game and first 3 posts on here are complaints. SDSU isn’t Kansas, but they’re not a bad team either. They’ve made a bunch more tournaments than we have recently. Can’t we just enjoy the win and watching a team grow without the “we’re not top 4 material” posts yet? My god, there are some miserable people on here.

I did say I dialed down the pessimism. PiKapp just caught me before my second thought edit went through. The first sentence is true though, so I kept it there.

I AM excited to have Hall on the court repping Mason. Dude is a beast. All the potential his numbers flashed from his freshman season have been surpassed by what he’s been able to do so far.

Kelly for me has been the biggest surprise.l, though. Didn’t expect he’d be the players he’s been for us so far. Hopefully that continues.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Jesus… We finally win an MTE game, have a legit star player who drains a clutch shot to win a game and first 3 posts on here are complaints. SDSU isn’t Kansas, but they’re not a bad team either. They’ve made a bunch more tournaments than we have recently. Can’t we just enjoy the win and watching a team grow without the “we’re not top 4 material” posts yet? My god, there are some miserable people on here.
Being a fan doesn't necessitate unwavering cheerleading; skepticism has its place in the realm of sports appreciation. Embracing a critical mindset fosters a deeper understanding of the game, encouraging fans to analyze performances, strategies, and decisions. It's okay to question outcomes and acknowledge flaws while maintaining passion for the sport.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Being a fan doesn't necessitate unwavering cheerleading; skepticism has its place in the realm of sports appreciation. Embracing a critical mindset fosters a deeper understanding of the game, encouraging fans to analyze performances, strategies, and decisions. It's okay to question outcomes and acknowledge flaws while maintaining passion for the sport.
Sure, but we’re 5 games into a season under a new coach with a bunch of transfers and have a 4-1 record. Yet, people on here have already concluded we’re a below average A10 team. That’s ridiculous and smacks of someone wanting to be the guy “who told us so” when we had any kind of positive vibes. You can point out flaws without crapping all over a win the minute it happens and saying SDSU is a bad team or program is just factually wrong.

Patriot8

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sure, but we’re 5 games into a season under a new coach with a bunch of transfers and have a 4-1 record. Yet, people on here have already concluded we’re a below average A10 team. That’s ridiculous and smacks of someone wanting to be the guy “who told us so” when we had any kind of positive vibes. You can point out flaws without crapping all over a win the minute it happens and saying SDSU is a bad team or program is just factually wrong.
Preach Lawdog

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just catching up, so I'll put all my replies in one post...
I don’t think we’ve won an MTE game that you’ve attended. Your program support is absolutely unmatched, but maybe like, sit next season out for our thanksgiving tournament and we can do a watch party in Fairfax instead? Not saying there’s correlation here, but damn we’ve got some MTE demons we need to figure out how to get rid of. Do it for the children.
Am I in the clear now?

I swear this tournament is being filmed on an iPhone - I keep hearing someone's notifications go off.

I will bet a Benjamin this is being broadcast from an iphone.
There was a guy standing at half court holding up his iphone for the first 15 mintues of the game. For a while, based the reports here, I assumed he was doing the camera work for the stream.
The only fun thing about this game was listening to the agony of the annoying Jack Rabbit fans.
My experience with JackRabbit fans had been 100% positive through the Sunday. They were great in SD for the pentagon classic. They were great on Sunday. Most of them were great yesterday, but, there were 3 in the row in front of us that were intolerable yesterday. It was as if they had never been to a neutral court game before and didn't expect people cheer for their team. I did my best to annoy the hell out of them for the rest of the game when they expressed displeasure with my cheering.
I’d trade places to spend a few days traveling between Sawgrass and St Augustine. The gym might suck but Flagler is beautiful.

I’ll likely be down there in a few weeks for the Gator Bowl.
It is a beautiful area. The school also has some buildings with impressive architecture. Saturday was the first night of their "Night of Lights" festival that runs through January. See photos below. Place looks great at night. The Marriott Sawgrass has some nice amenities, too. Honestly, I would not have had an issue with arena if it wasn't for the streaming issues (for you guys) and the fact that their scoring equipment seems to be out of date, in poor functioning order or the tournament didn't have people that could use it correctly (how does the game clock start, regularly, without the shot clock starting)? The size isn't really a problem for the teams that were there and probably helps to have us in a smaller arena if we can't get more fans. We had decent seats with chair backs similar to standard seats in EBA. The other sections, though, were just wooden, pull-out bleachers.
IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg

Last edited:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
My experience with JackRabbit fans had been 100% positive through the Sunday. They were great in SD for the pentagon classic. They were great on Sunday. Most of them were great yesterday, but, there were 3 in the row in front of us that were intolerable yesterday. It was as if they had never been to a neutral court game before and didn't expect people cheer for their team. I did my best to annoy the hell out of them for the rest of the game when they expressed displeasure with my cheering.
Brian - please stop trying to turn me into a nice guy. I enjoy being the dark aggressive asshole to our adversaries. This being genuine and even handed spirit makes me ill and sightly uncomfortable.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
For all the complaining about this being a low class tournament, while that may be true of the facilities and streaming, the competitive level of play (at least in terms of score outcomes) was fairly remarkable. UCF won both of their games by 3, the second one in OT against Charlotte. Our games were essentially even--decided in the last minute and last night's game in the last 3 seconds.

So despite the variance in Kenpom standings (UCF-#66, Charlotte-#127, Mason-#130, SD State-#144), each of the games were very close. Actually the UCF ranking may be a bit of an outlier--they have a "quality" (?) 16 pt loss at Miami and 20+ wins at home against two #200+ ranked opponents.

BTW, Cornell is now at #101 and Kenpom is talking about how the Ivy League as a conference is beating their preseason ranking.