Game 24: GMU (15-8 / 4-6) at Davidson (13-9 / 3-6) on Saturday, February 10, at 2:30 PM.

MasonJason

Recruit
He was a big reason why we ended last season on a winning streak, including scoring 27 against Dayton.

Like even if we got 60% of the RP who finished the season last year we’d be a much better team.
To be honest, RP has never looked like PG1 material. Even with just the eye test, your SPG should be able to get to any spot on the court (can’t handle any type of hard ball pressure), as well as being a defensive liability against A10 guards.

Our team doesn’t need RP from last year, we need to go all in on Baraka & make some more minutes for Tre.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Was Coach Louis not there today? I dont remember seeing him.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Think maybe the first starter you bench is Kelly. He’s been circling the drain for the past few games. Start Henry and bring Kelly off the bench.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Think maybe the first starter you bench is Kelly. He’s been circling the drain for the past few games. Start Henry and bring Kelly off the bench.
That's not going to happen. Give the guy a break and let's not overreact here. Kelly hasn't had a backup half the season and has been asked to do a heck of a lot. He is shooting 62%, 46%, 77% on the season and anchors an interior defense that is top 15 in the country.

I get that Malik is a fan favorite. But he's best suited for his backup role and minutes.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That's not going to happen. Give the guy a break and let's not overreact here. Kelly hasn't had a backup half the season and has been asked to do a heck of a lot. He is shooting 62%, 46%, 77% on the season and anchors an interior defense that is top 15 in the country.

I get that Malik is a fan favorite. But he's best suited for his backup role and minutes.
One point and six turnovers?? His performance has been slumping of late in all categories maybe let him rest a bit, by the look of his poor close outs and lazy fouls he needs it.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
One point and six turnovers?? His performance has been slumping of late in all categories maybe let him rest a bit, by the look of his poor close outs and lazy fouls he needs it.
I do think Kelly is the better overall player and still deserves the start. But I’d like to see Malik getting more minutes. Hes productive every time he’s on the floor. His speed pairs nicely with Okojie.

And Kelly could use a break here and there. He’s been grinding all season.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Malik will eat if you give him the minutes
Malik hasn’t been himself — understandably so — for a good while now. Today he made the kind of impact on the game we know he’s capable of and most definitely earned the minutes he got.

Hopefully this means he’s turned a corner because we need his energy and hustle … playing Woody at the 5 is far less than ideal.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Great suggestion and great meeting GMUBrian and other big time Mason fans.

Always nice to get a road win. Also, very nice to see the bench contribute. Would like to see Wood, Ball, Henry and Newton continue to get significant minutes.
It does feel good to get a road win. Certainly Davidson has problems, especially offensively, having lost their best big man and 3 pt% guy (Skogman) to injury. But life just seems better after a win!

I had recorded the game but watched it from the beginning, keeping myself "ignorant" about the outcome. So I was about 20 minutes behind real time, and toward the end when Wood missed the second shot with Mason ahead by 2 and Davidson called the time out with 5 seconds left.

I'm preparing myself emotionally for how I'll feel when inevitably Davidson will hit a buzzer-beating, game-winning three. My wife while walking down the stairs toward the tv room says loudly, "well, I'm glad they pulled out the win", (having been following the game updates on her cell phone)! Needless to say, much relief from the suspense mixed in with disappointment at being deprived of the elation of having witnessed a Mason win with the outcome in doubt until the final buzzer sounds.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It does feel good to get a road win. Certainly Davidson has problems, especially offensively, having lost their best big man and 3 pt% guy (Skogman) to injury. But life just seems better after a win!

I had recorded the game but watched it from the beginning, keeping myself "ignorant" about the outcome. So I was about 20 minutes behind real time, and toward the end when Wood missed the second shot with Mason ahead by 2 and Davidson called the time out with 5 seconds left.

I'm preparing myself emotionally for how I'll feel when inevitably Davidson will hit a buzzer-beating, game-winning three. My wife while walking down the stairs toward the tv room says loudly, "well, I'm glad they pulled out the win", (having been following the game updates on her cell phone)! Needless to say, much relief from the suspense mixed in with disappointment at being deprived of the elation of having witnessed a Mason win with the outcome in doubt until the final buzzer sounds.
I think we all figured "here we go again."
At least I did.

Was happy with the defensive effort today, and gotta give it to Keyshawn, he really carried the team down the stretch. Also happy to see Tre and Ball get some real minutes today. Both contributed and Tre carried the team in first half. Also good to see Malik back to being himself again. Some strong plays from him. Not much great to say about Woody, Ronny, Kelly or Billups - but it was nice to see others step up.
Still concerned about the sloppy play from the 4-minute mark. By my count, four turnovers (3 bad passes and one shot clock violation) over the last four minutes. We squander a 7-8 point lead giving Davidson the last shot for the win. Really hope CTS puts some focus on this or I don't like our chances in the tournament.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Nice win! Grant and Reed can give Foster a call to commiserate about their latest loss to George Mason.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Davidson is now 0-5 in home conference games. Granted three of those are against the top of the league: Dayton, Richmond, vcu .

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That's a Paulsen style season...nothing but road wins

Tough to follow a legend, even if you are the legend’s son. It’s been a pretty rough first two years for Junior McKillops. I wonder how long of a leash he’s going to have there. They aren’t used to this much losing.

It’s also tough for them to play the portal right now since they don’t have a grad school and can’t take any 5th year players.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Tough to follow a legend, even if you are the legend’s son. It’s been a pretty rough first two years for Junior McKillops. I wonder how long of a leash he’s going to have there. They aren’t used to this much losing.

It’s also tough for them to play the portal right now since they don’t have a grad school and can’t take any 5th year players.
Wow never thought about that dynamic. You’re right it’s Davidson College, not Davidson University.