Game 23 HOMECOMING: GMU (12-10 / 5-4) vs vcu (15-7 / 8-3) on Saturday, February 12 at 4PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If you are not attending the game please don’t sell your tickets, just eat the cost. vcu fans will snap them up like roaches in a dive Richmond apartment. I would rather not be surrounded by loud, obnoxious people who smell like stale McNuggets.

vcu is currently 15-7 on the season and 8-3 in A10 play. They are 8-4 at home, 6-1 on the road, and 1-2 at neutral sites.

Wins: St. Peter’s, Vanderbilt, Syracuse, Campbell, Jacksonville St., ODU, Florida Atlantic, Dayton, LaSalle, GW, St. Joe’s, Davidson, Richmond, Duquesne, Rhode Island
Losses: Wagner, Chattanooga, Baylor, UConn, St. Bonaventure, Davidson, Dayton
Canceled: Penn St., New Hampshire,

Schedule: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/schedule
Roster: https://vcuathletics.com/sports/mbball/roster
Stats: https://vcuathletics.com/documents/2022/2/8//team_cume.pdf?id=3036

vcu is led by 6’6” Vince Williams (12.6 ppg & 6.1 reb), 6’1” Ace Baldwin (10.6 ppg), 6’4” KeShawn Curry (9.9 ppg), 6’4” Jayden Nunn (8.1 ppg), and 6’8” Levi Stockard (5.9 ppg). 6’9” Hason Ward (6.8 ppg) has started fifteen games for vcu. 6’3” Marcus Tsohonis (5.9 ppg) has also started three times. Ten Rams play double figure minutes.

vcu averages 63.7 points per game while giving up 60.3. The Rams shoot 44.6% from the floor and 34.2% from 3. Opponents are shooting 38.7% from the field and 27.3% from 3. The Rams shoot 66.0% from the free throw line. vcu has been out rebounded their opponents by 3.7 boards per game. They turn opponents over to the tune of 17.8 per game while turning the ball over 15.3 times per game themselves.

The game is on MASN2 and ESPN+.

My prediction: vcu is currently #322 (at the time of this post) in the NCAA in points per game. On the other hand they are #14 (at the time I posted) in points allowed. Captain Obvious says we need to be prepared to handle pressure for 40 minutes. Take care of the ball and we win. Turn it over we lose, it’s that simple.

What’s the difference between Siegel Canter and a cactus?
A cactus has its pricks on the outside.

Did you hear about the fire that destroyed 120,000 books at vcu’s library?
The real tragedy is that 119,000 of them hadn’t been colored yet.

Discuss.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If you are thinking of selling your ticket, let me know and I’ll find a Mason fan who will buy them.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
#Stepladdergate....is this fodder for student section? Cmon gforce..step it up..pun intended

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
vcu is one of the very best teams in Division I on defense and one of the very worst teams on offense.

It’s pretty simple: Be strong with the ball, expect to be fouled repeatedly and avoid live-ball turnovers against the press, and the percentages say we should win.

If we turn it over a bunch early and they’re getting easy baskets, gonna be an unhappy homecoming for all of us.

I suggest drinking a lot either way.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
ah yes, one of our two matchups against our longtime rival.

Oh oops, their fans don’t consider us our rival. We just have that cute nickname Goomoo and they talk about how they are so much better than us etc. Blah blah blah.

Anyway, should be a fun game. It’s homecoming, it’s vcu. Our guys will be jacked up as will hopefully at least 6000 fans.

The good news is that if we break their press we like to run and get layups and open 3s. Let’s hope we get lots of easy buckets and they struggle to score on offense.

It’s never easy against them but its always simple. Limit turnovers and easy layups for them, make them score in the half court. Oduro can expect to be doubled down low so I hope he can swing the ball to get some open 3s. Hopefully Gaines can also come out of his mini slump.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
While vcu is first in the A10 in creating defensive turnovers, they also are LAST (and 342 nationally) in offensive turnovers. Need to capitalize on that.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Hope that vcu invests in an ADA compliant entrance soon, the current one isn’t so good.

(Hat tip to @By George. for the idea)

Attachments

• 8FC08574-33E8-45C2-8513-15ACA8377CB3.jpeg
    8FC08574-33E8-45C2-8513-15ACA8377CB3.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"JOHNSON PUTTING TOGETHER CAREER SEASON
Junior Xavier Johnson has developed into one of the top point guards in the A-10 this season. He ranks seventh in the league and 49th nationally in assists/game (4.9) and is eighth in the conference in A/TO ratio (1.81). In league play, he has upped his assists to 5.7 per game while impressively increasing his shooting numbers to 45.8 percent overall and 42.9 percent from 3pt range. He's averaging 10.0 points/game in A-10 play.

HISTORY vs. vcu
Saturday's game marks the 66th all-time meeting between old CAA and current A-10 foes George Mason and vcu. Mason is 13-14 at home, 8-22 on the road and 1-7 on neutral courts vs. vcu (22-43 overall). The Patriots have won three of the past four matchups at the Siegel Center, but have not defeated vcu at home since February 2016. In the most recent matchup, Mason took down vcu, 79-76, in overtime on February 20, 2021. Josh Oduro led Mason with a monstrous effort in the win. The Gainesville, Va., product poured in 27 points (8-11 FG, 11-14 FT), to go along with six rebounds, a block and an assist in 29 minutes on the floor. Then-freshman Otis Frazier III tallied career bests in points (10), rebounds (6) and minutes (30)."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Shoutout to the guy on vcu ram nation that went on a tirade and called me a buttmunch. He apparently thought I said vcu wasn’t a better program even though all I said was they don’t consider us a rival.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It's kinda like we don't consider jmu a rival either anymore. However, Mason vs vcu should be a rivalry but we have sucked for a decade.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
It's kinda like we don't consider jmu a rival either anymore. However, Mason vs vcu should be a rivalry but we have sucked for a decade.
The thing is with JMU, they absolutely are a rival in the sense that they are geographically close, many folks have friends who went there, and Mason has been playing them in sports for 50 years. In terms of rivalry, playing for first place or having a lot on the line, there hasn't been anything like that in many many years at this juncture for both programs. Mason got better in basketball and JMU has just stayed bleh in basketball for the most part.

One could argue that Mason's rivals are also GW and Richmond. Problem is that since joining the A10, Mason has been irrelevant and so those games have also never really mattered other than pride. Same goes for vcu. GW and Richmond fans don't travel or have the nastiness that many vcu fans carry. I would love to have some disdain for GW but the only fan I met is a good friend of mine who actually enjoys watching Mason.

The difference with vcu is that at one point of our lives it was clash of the titans in the CAA. Its obviously not like that anymore, but fans remember and have pride for when the programs hit the court. We all have disdain for many reasons for vcu because of those games. Add the geographic factor, the fact the schools have been competing against one another for many years, and the fact their idiot fans make their way to Fairfax every year, it still smells like a rivalry to me even in its weakest state.

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The thing is with JMU, they absolutely are a rival in the sense that they are geographically close, many folks have friends who went there, and Mason has been playing them in sports for 50 years. In terms of rivalry, playing for first place or having a lot on the line, there hasn't been anything like that in many many years at this juncture for both programs. Mason got better in basketball and JMU has just stayed bleh in basketball for the most part.

One could argue that Mason's rivals are also GW and Richmond. Problem is that since joining the A10, Mason has been irrelevant and so those games have also never really mattered other than pride. Same goes for vcu. GW and Richmond fans don't travel or have the nastiness that many vcu fans carry. I would love to have some disdain for GW but the only fan I met is a good friend of mine who actually enjoys watching Mason.

The difference with vcu is that at one point of our lives it was clash of the titans in the CAA. Its obviously not like that anymore, but fans remember and have pride for when the programs hit the court. We all have disdain for many reasons for vcu because of those games. Add the geographic factor, the fact the schools have been competing against one another for many years, and the fact their idiot fans make their way to Fairfax every year, it still smells like a rivalry to me even in its weakest state.
Sure...I'll admit we're not they're rival anymore. When they admit, they had a distinct home court advantage all of those years in the CAA tournament. They would come up with every dumb argument under the sun for why it wasn't an advantage. Total nonsense....Oh and one more thing, eff them!

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Sure...I'll admit we're not they're rival anymore. When they admit, they had a distinct home court advantage all of those years in the CAA tournament. They would come up with every dumb argument under the sun for why it wasn't an advantage. Total nonsense....Oh and one more thing, eff them!
Yeah it’s hard to consider them a rival when we’ve absolutely owned the Siegel cafeteria the last few years.