Game 22: AT University of Richmond, Wednesday, February 3rd, 7 PM, NO TV

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Definitely some home cooking at the end there - quickest 5 second call of all time, non-foul call on Murrel "travel" after he was pulled to the ground, non-foul call when Otis was tackled on the inbound, foul on Jalen as he was turning away and conceding the layup...

Even the announcers, who were admitted homers as the Spider's broadcasters, admitted most of those calls. Thank god Richmond sucked just a little more down the stretch and they ran out of time.

Had Otis not thrown that entry pass to Shevon out of bounds with tons of time left on the shot clock, none of that would even have happened though.

But we won and played great about 37 minutes of the game!

Didn't see injury to Moore, didn't even notice he wasn't in at the end until looking at the box score.

hoops10

Sixth Man
Living in Richmond I could not miss this game. Here are my observations..
1. We have a real coach in Paulson, he really worked hard on the sidelines. He pours his heart and soul into his job. I believe he will be very successful going foward, simply because of his passion and intensity. DP knows the game.

2. They may be freshman but man Otis is a stud. The kid has so much confidence. I guarantee Mooney is saying who is that kid, he's amazing. He was by far the best guard on the floor. Having said that Marquis has really developed into a quality player. He leaves it out on the court. He wants that driving layup on every play, probing the defense. And hats off to Greyer, while yet still inconsistent you can see that he has got very good basketball instincts.

3. Marco and Jalen are starting to really mix it up under the basket. Yes, some foolish fouls, but they are playing hard.

4. And yes, Shevon is a difference maker. If he gets healty, no A 1o team will want to play mason in the tournament.

A game like this will go a long way to build their confidence. Great win for Mason..... more to come.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
OK--according to rpiforecast there are only 2 remaining regular season games where we are bigger underdogs than the 12.6 we were tonight against Richmond:
13.1 at URI and 14.1 at GW

So beating the spread by 16 pts for the rest of the season translates to running the table and finishing 11-7 in the conference!

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Missed the game tonight, but love seeing the guys get a win after how they've been playing lately. Looks like Jaire had a really efficient night - 20 points on 12 shots.

Threads posted on the UR boards in the last hour - "Sunken to new depths," "What happened this year?" and "Mooney must go!" I was planning on just being satisfied with watching the team develop this season, but drinking in the tears of our leaguemates isn't bad either.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
As a NoVa transplant living in Richmond, it was incredibly satisfying for us to win one of the few games that is more conveniently located for me than most of our fan base.

It was also satisfying watching most of the UR fans around us leave with about 2 minutes still on the clock. Guess they didn't realize we have freshman guards and will always make it interesting at the end.

DP coached his a** off tonight. Scolded the guys when they needed it, encouraged them throughout, and generally willed them to win. His passion is contagious.

He said after the GW game that the guys have been practicing so much harder and better recently than they were at the start of the season. I'm just glad they got a payoff for their efforts tonight.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
As a NoVa transplant living in Richmond, it was incredibly satisfying for us to win one of the few games that is more conveniently located for me than most of our fan base.

It was also satisfying watching most of the UR fans around us leave with about 2 minutes still on the clock. Guess they didn't realize we have freshman guards and will always make it interesting at the end.

DP coached his a** off tonight. Scolded the guys when they needed it, encouraged them throughout, and generally willed them to win. His passion is contagious.

He said after the GW game that the guys have been practicing so much harder and better recently than they were at the start of the season. I'm just glad they got a payoff for their efforts tonight.

Real fans stay the entire game, regardless of the score. Strange things happen in college basketball all the time, it is not over until 0:00 is on the clock and a buzzer beater isn't put up.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
OK--according to rpiforecast there are only 2 remaining regular season games where we are bigger underdogs than the 12.6 we were tonight against Richmond:
13.1 at URI and 14.1 at GW

So beating the spread by 16 pts for the rest of the season translates to running the table and finishing 11-7 in the conference!
If we run the table on the rest of the season I'll triple my donation.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If we run the table on the rest of the season I'll triple my donation.
Yea same! At GW is going to be insane. Everyone remembers when UVA went to GW and how that turned out.

Great team win and although a shaky percentage from the charity stripe they drove and got to the line so often it was okay with me.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
How did Jenkins commit 3 fouls in 29 seconds, that is amazing!

At least 1 of them was a terrible call -- he was backing away and trying to let Cline score, but Cline leaned into Jalen and then fell down while missing the shot.

It was one of several awful calls that went against us over the final 3 minutes -- the worst being the walk on Murrell when he got mugged in the corner and fell down with the ball.

At least the refs were horrendous both ways -- at this point that's all anyone can ask.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Jim, how did shevon cover on defense? You mentioned that UR doesn't have a real center.

ephoops

Starter
It is better to teach from a win than a loss... and there were a lot of teaching moments that came out of the last few minutes of last night's game.

It's a process. Changing the culture of any organization takes time. DP has the ship moving in the right direction, although at times, the ship is more like an ocean liner than a speed boat.

I am sure there will be several speed bumps throughout the remainder of the season. That said, I like the progress of the program...

I'm new to Mason basketball so I don't know what things were like during the reign of PH, but this team is fun to watch. The youthful enthusiasm is contagious...