Game 22: AT University of Richmond, Wednesday, February 3rd, 7 PM, NO TV

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
For those in Richmond, the game will be televised on Channel 6.3.

Richmond comes into this game with a 11-9 overall/3-5 in the A-10. They lost to James Madison on opening night by a score of 87-75. They beat Northern Iowa by a score of 82-67 as well as Longwood by a score of 77-59.

Their schedule is found here: http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800//Mens_Basketball/Stats/2015-16/teamcume.htm

Their stats are here: http://www.richmondspiders.com/fls/26800//Mens_Basketball/Stats/2015-16/teamcume.htm

Terry Allen averages 19.6 PPG/8.1 RPG, DreShawn Jones averages 16.4 PPG, TJ Cline averages 15.8 PPG/5.0 RPG and Marshall Wood averages 10.2 PPG. The team shoots 65.8% from the free throw line.

As of posting this, there is not a game thread, but this appears to be their message boards: https://richmond.forums.rivals.com/forums/ur-basketball-board.16/

Discuss.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Very encouraged by what I saw yesterday but we have yet to replicate the effort and execution on the road. Richmond by 8.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What scares me about Richmond is they have a few high quality guards. It seems Mason can contain the damage when faced with a team like GW, with only one real stud at guard in Garino. (though Wantanabe got them down the stretch too)

I didn't see the Davidson game on the road, but it sounds as if the effort was there in that road game. I want to see the effort and execution two in a row too.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Take a Mason Road Trip!
Mason Patriots versus Richmond Spiders
Wednesday, February 3, 2016
Bus departs at 3:00 p.m., Tipoff at 7:00 p.m.
$55 – Patriot Club Members, $60 – Non-Members

Price includes a ticket to the game
RSVP Deadline: February 1, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
The bus will stop at the The Grill restaurant before the game
To register, contact LeeAnn Bushar at 703-993-4147 or lbushar@gmu.edu

The bus trip will only take place if 25 people register
If you are interested in tickets only,
please contact the ticket office at 703-993-3270

twinmom

Walk-On
For those of you considering the bus trip, The Grill is a nice hole in the wall with decent eats and cheap beverages. Five minutes from UR. Hope to see some folks make the trip down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Marshall Wood will cause us problems by hitting 3s.

ShawnDre Jones and Terry Allen will score a bunch, too.

And they play without a center, which means a matchup problem for Shevon. Honestly not sure who he will guard. Cline is slow but can't see Shevon guarding him 20 feet from the bucket.

I think we can score on them -- Marquise should have a field day going to the rim -- but I don't think we can beat them in Richmond.

liem.le.3388

Starter
Just an observation but this team doesn't seem to have a mid range game. The only way we score is penetration, under the rim and 3s. That's probably why zones kill us.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just an observation but this team doesn't seem to have a mid range game. The only way we score is penetration, under the rim and 3s. That's probably why zones kill us.

The mid-range game is going away because long 2s are statistically the most inefficient shot in the game.

You want to take the vast majority of your shots either going hard to the rim, giving yourself a chance to draw fouls, or beyond the arc.

As our young guys get stronger, they'll be more able to finish the drives that are coming up empty now. And as the game continues to slow down, their perimeter shooting will get more consistent.

The key thing working in their favor already is the willingness to share the ball and create good shots for each other. As long as you have that, scoring will follow.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The mid-range game is going away because long 2s are statistically the most inefficient shot in the game.

For those who follow the NBA, the Wizards were ranked almost dead last in shooting efficiency a year or two ago, because young guys like Wall, Beal and Porter were taking so many long 2s. It finally sunk in, like you said, that they were better off driving toward the basket or stepping back two feet and taking a 3.

To your point about finishing shots, I texted a friend during the GW game that we we were missing a lot of shots in the paint but I loved how aggressive we were being. When the game does slow down, those buckets in the paint will fall much more often than not.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
For those who follow the NBA, the Wizards were ranked almost dead last in shooting efficiency a year or two ago, because young guys like Wall, Beal and Porter were taking so many long 2s. It finally sunk in, like you said, that they were better off driving toward the basket or stepping back two feet and taking a 3.

To your point about finishing shots, I texted a friend during the GW game that we we were missing a lot of shots in the paint but I loved how aggressive we were being. When the game does slow down, those buckets in the paint will fall much more often than not.

I think the biggest thing is the young guys all need to hit the weight room hard during the offsesson to add upper-body strength.

People who just watch games on TV have no idea how much body contact goes on -- and doesn't get called -- when guys drive to the basket.

I'm glad they're willing to be aggressive, but they need the strength to power through contact instead of getting knocked off-balance and just throwing up some garbage.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Richmond's defense is squeezably soft in the paint, so we have to keep the floor spaced and drive to the basket with the same aggression we had against GW.

Can't rely on trading 3s with them because they can score in bunches and our outside shooting is spotty at best right now.

It would also help to drive and draw fouls because they might have an even more shallow roster than ours.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We beat them last year when they had a better team. We can certainly win in the old fart arena down in the dirty dirty. So many old people up in their arena it looks like a bingo convention in Florida.

Shevon will dunk on some poor soul. Grayer will light them up. Murrell needs to stop shooting 3's.

Goodguys 68
Tobey Maguire's 64

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Bummed this isn't on TV. Anybody streaming it for free? I don't mind paying for a game, but I hate when these sites keep trying to charge my credit card every month for their service.

My usual bounties stand for anyone roadtripping.

500 bones for the Spider in the cage
500 bones for Fat Pavs hat
1000 bones for either the Spider or Ram mascot costume
1000 to drive your car straight into lake at UR, film it
5000 to kidnap the governor

Be careful though, old people there still mighty cranky Morrisons Cafeteria still out of business. Very dangerous.