Game 15, AT vcu, Jan 9th, 7 PM, CBS Sports Network

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Gemini and PMP are both right. vcu is vastly overrated, but their strength (pressing) is our biggest weakness (turnovers). I would be shocked if we commit less than 20 turnovers and keep this game within 15 points.

That's exactly what I said in my first post.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we're gonna get blown out. I predict vcu starting on a 10-15 point run and us never recovering from that. It's going to be a typical loss for us, ugly and gross, but it's going to be way worse because of vcu's fans.

KAOriginal

All-American
So vcu is like us with questionable PG play, no inside presence streaky shooters etc....? Okay I can objectively understand your point.

But then I ask...why is that with the same issues they are 12-3 and looking forward to the NCAAs and we're talking about the possibility of losing all the rest of ours? You mean their coach designed a system to give them a chance to win with their unskilled players despite the problems? How refreshing a coach is working to earn his paycheck.....

Maybe they are overrated. But they are winning. Their fans are excited. They are selling out games. They are in the discussion when talking about good programs in college basketball. I would rather be overrated with all of those factors, than imploding and irrelevant like George Mason has become at this point.

And stop with the UNI win proving we are good. You're a bunch of fools to think that 1 game proved anything good about Mason this year...

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I know this is blasphemy, but hear me out before you shoot me: Is it too late to jump on the vcu bandwagon?

The main reason most of us support Mason basketball is because we went to school there. That is understandable, not necessarily logical. If the program is not being run in a manner we agree with, why not support a different one.? Another reason many of us support the program is for the students.

Since vcu athletics seems to be run in a manner that most of us would support at Mason, and I would argue that their students, on average, need more support than ours (they are getting a degree from vcu after all), maybe we should all resist the initial gag reflex and support vcu instead.

I am obviously joking, using it as a way to make a backhanded compliment towards vcu, but it is sad that the scenario even crossed my mind...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So vcu is like us with questionable PG play, no inside presence streaky shooters etc....? Okay I can objectively understand your point.

But then I ask...why is that with the same issues they are 12-3 and looking forward to the NCAAs and we're talking about the possibility of losing all the rest of ours? You mean their coach designed a system to give them a chance to win with their unskilled players despite the problems? How refreshing a coach is working to earn his paycheck.....

Maybe they are overrated. But they are winning. Their fans are excited. They are selling out games. They are in the discussion when talking about good programs in college basketball. I would rather be overrated with all of those factors, than imploding and irrelevant like George Mason has become at this point.

And stop with the UNI win proving we are good. You're a bunch of fools to think that 1 game proved anything good about Mason this year...

vcu has no good wins in their OOC. So, they still might get left out of the NCAA if they don't do well in the A10, which is a possibility with the improvements to UMass, Dayton, and GW.

I would much rather be in vcu's situation than ours. But I think it's more of a coaching problem than a player problem. If we had switched coaches, just coaches and not players, I don't think vcu's talent gap would look quite the same, do you?

I don't know, but of the two teams, only one of us has a top 50 RPI win and it isn't vcu...

This is not to say that we are any good, because we aren't, but if you think it's because there's a huge skill gap (in the players) between vcu and Mason it isn't. Now if by skilled you meant coaching staff, I whole-heartedly agree with you.

Not trying to piss here, but in the interest of accuracy, both teams have top 50 RPI wins.

vcu has a true road win over #40 UVA (moved into the top 50 after beating FSU on the road yesterday).

As for lacking an interior presence, Juvonte Reddic is inconsistent at times but he's an A-10 preseason first-teamer and Wooden Award candidate for a reason. He's not always mentally dialed in as he's very result-oriented, but I think most non-vcu and non-Mason fans would take 6'9" 250-pound Reddic over most other front court players in the A-10.

vcu was certainly overrated to start the season, but they're not rated anymore so I'm not sure how they're overrated. They're as good a top 50 RPI team that isn't receiving votes as there is out there.

At this point we're a 12-3 team that would safely be in the NCAA tournament right now. Overrated compared to preseason expectations? Certainly, but we certainly aren't now since we've completely dropped out. No one is rating us and we're doing a good job with the spotlight off us going into A-10 play.

It should be a good game. I'm sure Hewitt will use our last match-up as motivation and I'm sure our guys will want to prove a point to the 'new guys'. Add the in-state, CAA dynamic and it should make for a good atmosphere. This was Bryon Allen's most anticipated game of the season in the preseason, so I'm sure he'll get up for it and Sherrod Wright seems to have gotten out of his slump, so it has all the makings of a good one.

KAOriginal

All-American
vcu has no good wins in their OOC. So, they still might get left out of the NCAA if they don't do well in the A10, which is a possibility with the improvements to UMass, Dayton, and GW.

I would much rather be in vcu's situation than ours. But I think it's more of a coaching problem than a player problem. If we had switched coaches, just coaches and not players, I don't think vcu's talent gap would look quite the same, do you?

While their OCC wins are questionable, they going to do enough (unless the wheels come off) to get consideration and most likely get in. I dont theink they are over rated now...they're RPI 44, not in the top 25, and probably in the sweet spot of where they need to be.

While I agree their is a HUGE coaching issue.....to follow others and hold players accountable, I don't think vcu is having problems with players dribbling....

Patriotfan49

Starter

Hypotheticals really do nothing. The gap is what it is, and we have the coaches/players who we got.

They have flashes of great play and looking able to beat any team in the country, we have flashes of 5th grade CYO ball with guys throwing the ball to the grandma in the first row.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
GMUBrian - Your "joke" really isn't that funny. Your joke is one of the worst jokes I have ever heard in my life.

I want us to beat vcu. YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME.

You don't root for your school to lose so that the coach might get fired. That seems to be a growing sentiment on here.

I have not given up on this team nor will I ever give up on ANY Mason team.

Have I been thrilled with how this year has gone? No.
Do I have small growing concerns that we might be regressing post-2011? Yes
Would I ever root against my own school in the hopes of a head coaching change? NO!

The negativity on this board SUCKS.

CIRCLE THE WAGONS! BEAT vcu! GO MASON!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was hoping this game wouldn't be on TV so only the 8k in the arena would see it. At least FiOS doesn't offer CBSSN in HD so I won't be able to see clearly how bad this will get. Even in our good years, this was a tough matchup for us; in our "down year(s)", look out.......

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
gmuraider,

The coaching is what sucks. Show us the growth and progress and we'll shut up.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
GSII:

There has to be some sliver of hope or positivity that we can look to.

The future looks bright for Patrick Holloway and Jalen Jenkins. Julian Royal is on the way. Our incoming recruits look solid.

It can't just be doom and gloom all the time. It really can't. Otherwise what's the point?

Patriotfan49

Starter
Anybody else find the irony in a Raider fan talking about hope and it all cant be doom and gloom?

I know I do lol...If you want some hope GMURaider, hop on the 9ers bandwagon. Because Im not quite sure who will put it together first between the Raiders or Mason.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'm as excited about Paul Ball Deux as the next guy, but let's remember who the real enemy here is. At the end of the day, they're still vcu.

The campus is still located smack dab in the middle of the Detroit of Virginia.

They'll still shove a guy in the back as he's going up for layups (since a knife in the kidney is an NCAA automatic ejection).

The co-eds there make Ga Tech girls look like VS models.

They've a band leader whose favorite pastime is ranting to his pet Shih Tzu about Duck Dynasty and bedazzling sequins to his capes.

Their lead fan looks like the long lost love child between Chris Christie and the cast of Swamp People.

And their college application looks like this:

370px-Oaklandtribsun111359.jpg

F vcu. Sherrod is back and will hit another miracle buzzer beater to put the lambs in their rightful place!
(no, not really. but let's hold off on reality for a while)

GMURaider

Sixth Man
We had great teams from 2000-2002. I've stuck around. We'll have about 60 million in cap space and our GM helped build the Packers. If we lose to vcu, I will email Hewitt with some questions.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
If you want some hope GMURaider, hop on the 9ers bandwagon.

I got to see a game at Lambeau earlier this season, but there's not enough long underwear and bourbon that would make it fun to sit in -20 temps for today's game. I think the bad weather definitely favors SF, because you've got the better running game.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Raider,
So you think Julian Royal is gonna save us? It's deeper than just what we see right now. Maybe you havne't been paying attention, but there's shit load of issues and Royal can't solve them. And why for god sake would you put any value into the players coming in when Hewitt had done nothing but regress an entire team thus far. Wake up dude....what makes a man...is missing in Hewitt. He needs a break and I'm sick of watching my school pay a high price for no work from a burnt out loser.