Final Record Predictions

KAOriginal

All-American
I would be shocked if Hewitt is let go early....absolutely stunned.

Despite how bad we think it is....I just dont see Mason pulling the trigger like that because of this season sucking.

Now, I do believe if TOC retires this year, and next year is just as bad.....I could see and new AD pushing and Mason eating the final year and moving on.....

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Now, I do believe if TOC retires this year, and next year is just as bad.....I could see and new AD pushing and Mason eating the final year and moving on.....
Every AD has a short list of coaching candidates at the ready. I wonder if TOC has one or figures this is it and let the new guy clean up the mess. If he does leave after this year, I'd think any new AD is going to want some assurances they will be able to bring in their own coach (assuming we don't see any improvement) right away and not have to wait out a contract.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I do agree with you that this will be Cabrera's decision, and I'm sure he can't be happy with the current state of the program.

What makes you think he sees what is going on during the games that he is even there for.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
What makes you think he sees what is going on during the games that he is even there for.

That's why he sits next to you, so you can tell him what's going on while he tweets, texts and surfs the web. :)

KAOriginal

All-American
Every AD has a short list of coaching candidates at the ready. I wonder if TOC has one or figures this is it and let the new guy clean up the mess. If he does leave after this year, I'd think any new AD is going to want some assurances they will be able to bring in their own coach (assuming we don't see any improvement) right away and not have to wait out a contract.

We all know next year will be worse.

That's why I am hoping and praying TOC retires this year. Its our best bet to get Hewitt out in the 4th year.

But even it that does happen....we're right back to rebuilding and gambling on the next coach.

No matter how it went down with OCM.....this goes to show why sometimes you need to pay the guy thats getting the job done and keep status quo.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We all know next year will be worse.

That's why I am hoping and praying TOC retires this year. Its our best bet to get Hewitt out in the 4th year.

But even it that does happen....we're right back to rebuilding and gambling on the next coach.

No matter how it went down with OCM.....this goes to show why sometimes you need to pay the guy thats getting the job done and keep status quo.

This is why I and so many others were so pissed about the way the Larranaga situation was handled.

Was it unfair in some respects that he had us over a barrel and had all the leverage in negotiating yet another raise? Yes. But that is the way the game is played these days.

The man was the face of our university and he knew it. Totally ridiculous that it came down to a game of chicken and now we're seeing the results first-hand.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
This is why I and so many others were so pissed about the way the Larranaga situation was handled.

I think most of that was due to Merten being a lame duck and not wanting to make that big of a decision on his way out the door. My biggest fear with our current situation is that TOC might be retiring soon and may also be in that lame-duck mode. Like I said before, I think any decision about a coaching change will come from Cabrera himself.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So if Mertens top professors did the same he'd let them walk too? Doubtful.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think most of that was due to Merten being a lame duck and not wanting to make that big of a decision on his way out the door. My biggest fear with our current situation is that TOC might be retiring soon and may also be in that lame-duck mode. Like I said before, I think any decision about a coaching change will come from Cabrera himself.

It's obviously water under the bridge at this point, but if Merten thought either the BOV or his successor would have a problem with him rewarding Larranaga with a market-based salary, I think that's ridiculous.

Even if he was a phony baloney, Larranaga was enormously popular. He earned every dollar we should've paid him instead of gambling that we could replace him.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So if Mertens top professors did the same he'd let them walk too? Doubtful.

Keep in mind that nobody at the time knew the Miami job was in play, so this looked like yet another attempt by the OCM to get more money despite already being under contract. It wasn't until after his demands were rebuked that he sought out the Miami job. It is not accurate to portray this as the school not matching the Miami offer, because they never had the chance to do so.

OP
L

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm no genius at college basketball contract negotiations at all. But how could anyone

1. Not anticipate the OCM not wanting a better contract
2. Not know that other schools were eyeing the OCM and would be offering significantly more money
3. Shaka doing the exact same thing that the OCM did in taking a CAA team to a final four and getting rewarded handsomely and that would be the last straw for the OCM and he would leave out of principle alone.

Coach L put Mason in the map, constantly reminded everyone how the University as a whole was growing. He was the perfect ambassador for this school.

Tom O'Connor or whoever the hell it was screwed the pooch because quite honestly they were in over their head. They were used to managing a small time quiet basketball program.

Once the Mason name became nationally known in basketball circles, they had no idea the value of someone like Laranaga. They had no idea of how to keep this momentum (that any non BCS school would loved to have had) going.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
2. Not know that other schools were eyeing the OCM and would be offering significantly more money

Chank, I agree with most of what you said, but it's easy to understand why Merten and/or TOC felt like they held the bargaining power:

1. There really wasn't a high demand for a 60-year-old coach who had coached his entire career at the mid-major level. I can't think of another mid-major coach who made that leap to a BCS team at his age.

2. He had already passed up or been passed over for jobs at Providence and Virginia, which were the two jobs he always coveted.

Miami was under the microscope for NCAA sanctions, so they sought out a good coach with a squeaky-clean image to help them turn things around. Fortunately for them and Coach L, the timing worked out perfectly.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We should of paid him. Real easy to say now.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We can't put all of this on TOC or Merten. Merten told TOC he could give Coach L 900k, which is a substantial raise. Coach L took 1.5 million from Miami.

Shaka Smart makes about 1.5 million at vcu and was offered 2.5 million at both Illinois and UCLA and turned them both down to stay.

Why is Shaka more loyal to vcu than Coach L was to Mason? L's allegiance in the end was to Merten (who was leaving) and the ACC. I don't know if we had much of a chance I retain him.

I am encouraged by UMass. Calipari gutted that program when he left. If Hewitt is fired after five years will have left his replacement (who hopefully is a great coach) with a challenge but talent to work with. There will be defections to be sure. But look how fast Skerry and Ron Hunter turned around their schools.

Kellogg has UMass performing as a top 15 team right now.

If the AD makes the right choice for our next coach (and let's hope pays him well enough to keep him around for awhile), it won't take long at Mason.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
If the AD makes the right choice for our next coach (and let's hope pays him well enough to keep him around for awhile), it won't take long at Mason.

That AD needs to be smart enough to recognize what a good coach looks like. vcu whooped up on us for years thanks to Teague's connections at Florida and knowing that on Florida's bench sat good, young assistants who could be successful at the head coaching level.

We need someone fresh. This job needs to be a step-up for whoever comes here next, not a step down for a coach who couldn't get it done someplace else.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
[quote/

I am encouraged by UMass. Calipari gutted that program when he left. If Hewitt is fired after five years will have left his replacement (who hopefully is a great coach) with a challenge but talent to work with. There will be defections to be sure. But look how fast Skerry and Ron Hunter turned around their schools.

If the AD makes the right choice for our next coach (and let's hope pays him well enough to keep him around for awhile), it won't take long at Mason.[/quote]

Calipari left UMass in the mid-late 90's. They haven't made the NCAAs since 1998, with only a few NIT appearances. While they have been gangbusters this year and decent the last couple of years, they have had a number of coaches since Calipari left. That's a long time to recover.

Would the Mason fan base/message boarders be that patient?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
[quote/

Calipari left UMass in the mid-late 90's. They haven't made the NCAAs since 1998, with only a few NIT appearances. While they have been gangbusters this year and decent the last couple of years, they have had a number of coaches since Calipari left. That's a long time to recover.

Would the Mason fan base/message boarders be that patient?[/quote]

UMass was slapped with sanctions as well with a vacated Final Four . Hewitt is not going to leave our program in disgrace. My point is all it takes is one right hire.

We have no choice but to be patient.