Every assistant needs to be gone next year

I was thrilled and gratified I was able to act as a guest assistant coach yesterday.

Late in the game Hewitt was early into his Moore/Holloway offense and defense combo. Holloway had just come out of the game, Mason promptly fouled Bonnie, who went to the line.

Patrick sat on the end of his chair, expecting to check back in on offense. Unfortunately Mr. Hewitt had his head buried in his hands, and wasn't paying attention. So, after no assistant mentioned anything, I yelled "Pat needs to go in." Hewitt heard me, and checked him in immediately.

I didn't say anything when Copes got his fourth foul, figuring somebody on that bench would have the duty to remind Hewitt that was his fourth. Sometimes as a head coach you are thinking of other things, so usually you have one of the junior coaches on the bench remind you when somebody gets their second in the first half, or gets into foul trouble later. Maybe Hewitt knew, maybe he didn't. Anyway, nobody said anything.

These are basic duties high school JV coaches should be performing. It would be one thing if they were busy coaching up our players, but I rarely see them doing so. Skeeters amazingly might rank on the high end of the scale, with just a couple of vocal "let's go" type yells during games.

I doubt we'll let go of Hewitt after year 3, which I understand based on the contract. But I see little to no value with the assistant coaches at all. Glad Krieder has a winning smile. Glad Houston played college basketball in the 80's but can't even coach his relative. They all need to be gone.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I doubt they'd fire Skeeter after just one year, but Kreider and Houston have been here quite long enough for us to realize they just aren't making our forwards and guards better.

Let's bring in "coaches" and stop worrying so much about "recruiters"

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I agree with everything you say...However, what assistant worth a salt is going to come to a program where the coach might be fired a year later? I think we're stuck with the same clown show all around for one more year.

OP
CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

CHRISTOPHER JAMES JOLLAY

Hall of Famer
I agree with everything you say...However, what assistant worth a salt is going to come to a program where the coach might be fired a year later? I think we're stuck with the same clown show all around for one more year.

Good point, and I was thinking this at lunch. Still, they can be sold on two years technically, and there are many competent assistants at smaller programs that would still appreciate the opportunity.
Plus it could be an opportunity for one if Hewitt is axed.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
As I said in another thread, if we're not going to buy Hewitt out, we hire an assistant who knows that this is an audition to be the next head coach. He does what he's told and makes a positive impact, he replaces Hewitt. Handle the search with that being right up front and on the table, and you'll get quality candidates.

MasonCrew

Starter
Jollay, this seems like a fairly obvious opportunity. Hewitt has already shown he will listen to you. Yell more and begin to lead the way!

I can see the headlines now: "Slightly large and definitely gay Mason assistant gets in fist fight with player's mother during misused timeout."

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I asked in another thread and I'll ask here too, how much incentive money is attached to Hewitt's contract. I have seen his base salary at 625k? And I've heard that can balloon too 1million. If we have budgeted said incentives, isn't there enough built up and/or budgeted ($1million est over 5 years, if not more) to buy his a** out? God knows he hasn't met any of the incentives.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I asked in another thread and I'll ask here too, how much incentive money is attached to Hewitt's contract. I have seen his base salary at 625k? And I've heard that can balloon too 1million. If we have budgeted said incentives, isn't there enough built up and/or budgeted ($1million est over 5 years, if not more) to buy his a** out? God knows he hasn't met any of the incentives.

See http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...paring-deals-mason-gave-hewitt-and-larranaga/.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I hope it is a misprint where it says that Hewitt's longevity bonus kicks in on March 1st (L's shows as March 30th). If he gets a longevity bonus for making it 90% of the way through the regular season, somebody needs a punch to the crotch.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So there's enough incentive money that has built up to go towards buying him out. That's all I'm saying. So don't believe the hype about it costing too much to get rid of this hack.

mason2k1

Starter
So the best case scenerio for Hewitt is for us to pay him to walk immediately, then Siena comes calling and throws him some more cash. Then he'd be triple dipping all at once. Makin it rain.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So the best case scenerio for Hewitt is for us to pay him to walk immediately, then Siena comes calling and throws him some more cash. Then he'd be triple dipping all at once. Makin it rain.

If he get fired nobody will hire him. That's why resigning is his best option and ours.